FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Alibi, Portland, OR (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Alibi, Portland, OR (restaurant)
Trader Ben

Posted: 2006-10-19 11:08 pm   Permalink

Hey all, I live near Portland and believe it or not, I have never been to the Alibi.
I was wondering if this would be a restaurant to take the kids to or not. Another post said it was no longer a "family restaurant," so does that mean no minors?

Thanks

View Profile of Trader Ben Send a personal message to Trader Ben  Email Trader Ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-20 07:54 am   Permalink

No minors at the Alibi. The interior and ambience are awesome, but food is average and drinks are below-average. Also pretty smokey-smelling, if that bothers you. And karaoke takes over later in the evening.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 5:42 pm   Permalink

I'd put the food at above average for bar food. The drinks are pretty much the same lackluster level of quality as every commercial Tiki/Exotica bar I've ever drank at. (Which I admit is not a long list. And Noodles in Las Vegas is the exception on that list.)

Occasionally one bartender seems to be able to put out a decent tropical beverage, but I generally stick to wells and beer. The house Bloody Mary (their own mix) is usually dang good.

Mid-afternoon is a great time to hit the Alibi. You beat any evening crowd (and there's no chance of running into karaoke which is LOUD) plus it's so dark inside you have no idea it's daytime.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 02:49 am   Permalink

SO I finally made it to the alibi a few days ago to celebrate a young friend's 21st birthday. This being my first tiki bar, I can't rate how the drinks were. I had to take it easy with the alcohol because of a gout condition, but did have one drink: a "Hula Hoochee" (coconut rum, orange juice,cranberry juice) which was quite good, and I also sampled a bit of a pina colada which was also good. I was originally going to order a pina colada, but was disappointed to learn it doesn't come in a carved out pineapple there.

I loved the interior decor, but as an artist with an eye for detail I couldn't help but feel some of it was a little worn out looking, and that there needed to be just a little more polynesian eye candy, particularly some kind of water feature like a waterfall. I loved the blacklight mural, but it needs a little touch up to get it looking its best again. Overall though it is some great retro decor.

The food was surprisingly pretty good: I got a sampler Hawaiian platter (basically a pu pu platter), and some pulled pork BBQ sliders. I am not normally a fan of shrimp, but I really liked the coconut shrimp on the platter. Could have done with a bit of fresh poi to go along with it, but I imagine that would be hard to come by here. Can't have everything.

All of this though really is minor nitpicking, I completely enjoyed myself and loved the aloha atmosphere. Not really a big fan of karaoke, but I had fun trying to sing "In the Tiki,Tiki,Tiki Room".

Only thing is I forgot the darned camera! Oh well I am sure I will be back and this time with the camera.

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2011-07-14 02:53 ]

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vintage Roadside
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-01 09:24 am   Permalink

We always like to stop in when we're in that part of town. It's a great bit of history.

View Profile of Vintage Roadside Send a personal message to Vintage Roadside  Goto the website of Vintage Roadside     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 9:14 pm   Permalink

Thank you Jeff! Beautiful shot! After having visited this classic Tiki joint for the first time again since I photographed it for Tiki Modern in April of 2002, I am sad to find it sorely under-represented here on TC. Luckily it is still in the same condition than it was at my first visit. Here are some snapshots I took of some of the glorious features of the place:

The best original collection of Beachcomber lamps:

That great modernist soffit bamboo ceiling:

Fun faux Witco artwork (photographed in 2002) made by "Artistry in Wood":

And the entrance hut:

I am now 95% convinced that this "hut" must have been taken over from the Portland Kon-Tiki when that place closed in 1980. Here is why:

Stephen Crane's The Luau became the pattern after which he modeled his Kon Tiki restaurants, especially the first two, the Montreal (1958) and the Portland (1959) Kon Tikis:

After entering the Luau, you would find yourself in a small hut, from which you would reach the different sections of the restaurant. I have never seen a photo of it in situ, but there was an illustration of it in the Luau's menu:

With the help of this illustration, I recognized two remnants of the Luau in the Hanalei Hotel courtyard (where they had been brought after the Luau closed): That now iconic Tiki, and the hut itself:

Now, both of the Kon Tiki's blue prints show that this hut was copied for each of these follow up restaurants. It was called an "Entry Tepe":

Here is my previously unpublished shot of the "Tepe" at the Alibi, from 2002 (lit with the support of TikiMaxton!):

It is just half of the hut, but since I have never seen a structure like this used in any other Tiki Temple, I peg this to be the Kon Tiki Tepe!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-08-04 07:36 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 10:54 pm   Permalink

Wow - great shots bigbro... I need to make it to Portland now.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 9:48 pm   Permalink

Was in Portland a couple weeks ago. Stopped in for a couple drinks. I was the only person in the place. Had 2 strong drinks. I asked if I could buy a drink menu, she didn't know how much to charge. I told her Frankie's sells them for $3.00, she said OK !!! Cool. Now if they would only make a MUG...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vintage Roadside
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-17 10:36 am   Permalink

Going through the city of Portland archives I found this great shot from 1963 that shows the Alibi with a much simpler (though still great) neon sign and thought some of you might enjoy seeing it.

View Profile of Vintage Roadside Send a personal message to Vintage Roadside  Goto the website of Vintage Roadside     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-18 04:48 am   Permalink

I was there a few weeks ago - I went around lunch and there were a few patrons there. I walked around a while and realized quickly how much tiki style was crammed into that place. While probably not everybody's favorite, I really loved the black-light, glowing mural of the hula girls.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-18 3:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Vintage Roadside! Thanks alot for posting that picture above!! What a great shot. You're right, it's not as grand but still awesome to see the progression. For being one of the more older, original Tiki Bars, there sure doesn't seem to be too many pictures of it.

Thanks again and keep em coming!
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-08 6:48 pm   Permalink

Okay, I'm going up Portland way next week.
Anyone visit this place lately?
What's a good day/night?
Who's the bartender(s) that can make a tasty tiki cocktail?

Thank you kindly,
TT

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-09 02:30 am   Permalink

The sign and decor are still wonderful and intact, but do not apply current craft cocktail standards to the drinks. It is still more a neighborhood bar than an urban hipster watering hole.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-09-09 07:59 am   Permalink

and Tom please try to take some pictures of the great Palms Hotel sign up the street.

Thanks!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-09 08:53 am   Permalink

Boris, Thanks for the Palms sign link....that neon is killer!

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation