FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Alibi, Portland, OR (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Alibi, Portland, OR (restaurant)
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-04-25 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-14 14:07, DixonAlibi wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-04-14 10:52, Freeland wrote:
first time in portland... will be landing here around 6:30pm hopefully not too much later i will venture on over.

wouldnt happen to have those mugs ready would you?

Can't wait to see you!

Sadly we don't have the mugs yet, we have approved the design and mold, and production is underway! Once we pick glazes, we will be taking pre-orders for them!

I posted on the Tiki Marketplace thread, but we are now taking pre-orders for our new mugs! Go to that thread to find out more info!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-05-19 12:28 pm   Permalink

Good Morning!

I am very excited that I finally finished repurposing the home Tiki Bar from the basement of Roy Ell (the man who started The Alibi)!! Working with my dad, we cut it down to the size we needed and refinished all the edges with the pieces we cut off. We had to do a lot of re-wrapping of the upholstery around the padded edge, and the trim pieces. We also cut down and reused the cedar hollow ceiling beams that hung above the bar in his house and hung them above it inside The Alibi! We are very proud that we were able to salvage everything from the basement! Photos below!

The bar in as it was originally in Roy Ell's basement! Photo is from the 70's. You can see the ceiling beams above with the thatching.

The Karaoke Host Booth that we had here at The Alibi that we wanted to replace.

Empty space after the booth was ripped out!

The finished product! We cut about two feet off of the shorter side, and four feet off the longer side. We cut down the original brass foot-rail to fit the space. The 'Alibi' sign behind was used on our outdoor signage during the 70's and 80's. Found some vintage red velvet curtains with a gold print for the curtain. On the bar top we made a guard for the soundboard and computer out of the pieces leftover from the ceiling beams.

Better photo of the ceiling beams and thatching! The thatching was also from the basement!

The only non-original piece we added was a bit of the Semi-Famous Portland Airport Carpet to one of the end caps!

In another part of the bar we mounted and hung some Sea & Jungle Imports fish that we also found in the basement! For the wooden mounts we used panels from the bottom section of the bar that we had to cut off, as well as cuts from the ceiling beams. We sanded edges and torch them a bit to get the coloring right.

Can't believe this refurbish project is finally done, and beyond thrilled that we were able to save and reuse almost every single piece! I kept every scrap I could to use for future projects!

Come in and have a look!

Enjoy!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-19 12:30 pm   Permalink

Amazing work!!!! Looks fantastic.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-07-21 5:27 pm   Permalink

Found some slides hidden in the office here at The Alibi! Took them to get them scanned in. Not sure when they are from. (We also have no idea who the photographer was) (update. It appears that the photographer was BigBroTiki !)

So amazing that besides the addition of the video lottery, and different chairs, just about everything else remains the same!

---

[ This Message was edited by: DixonAlibi 2016-07-21 17:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: DixonAlibi 2016-07-21 17:42 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-23 02:02 am   Permalink

Yep! I took those in 2002 for my book Tiki Modern https://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Modern-Sven-Kirsten/dp/3822847178

I stayed at Mark Axtons place, and through his job at Will Vinton's Claymation Studios borrowed some lamps to properly light the photos. It was then that i found out that the Tikis and wall art were Witco "fakes":

"...When entering The Alibi in Portland through its traditional entrance hut, one might feel like having arrived in another Witco land. Yet on closer examination, the observant urban archeologist finds evidence to the contrary: The wall Tikis holding the fake torches are stamped “Gordon”, and the Witco-style “Conversation” carving is labeled “Artistry in Wood by Frank Hart”.
But this is in no way a drawback to this wonderfully authentic Tiki bar, rather a fascinating example of how Witco was influential in its heyday, and demonstrating that imitation is often the sincerest form of flattery..."

I must have sent some duplicates to the Alibi for their use. I like the last one that shows the entrance "Tepe", which I still believe came from the Portland Kon Tiki:

Stephen Crane first used that design at his Luau restaurant in Beverly Hills:

Upon the closure of The Luau, it migrated to the courtyard of the Hanalei Hotel, together with the often copied Demetrio Chavez Tiki and all the other Luau artifacts:

It has since rotted away, so I am glad one of these still stands at the Alibi.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-07 12:36 am   Permalink

I would like to thank DixonAlibi for having me carve the new Rum Flight Boards for the Alibi. It was a fun project... 10 boards total, all different...

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-09-07 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-09-07 00:36, ErichTroudt wrote:
I would like to thank DixonAlibi for having me carve the new Rum Flight Boards for the Alibi. It was a fun project... 10 boards total, all different...

No, Thank You!!! Each one is absolutely gorgeous and we cannot wait to start using them!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-07 10:07 am   Permalink

Nice work Erich.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-07 6:38 pm   Permalink

Great! I am so happy that the Alibi now has someone that cares for making a connection to all the great Tiki history and talent out there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-09-07 10:20 pm   Permalink

Here's some photos of the Flight Boards I took today!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-15 8:09 pm   Permalink

Made it to the Alibi for 2 beers on our recent road trip.

This place is awesome!!!

Next time staying longer for sure!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-10-15 9:23 pm   Permalink

Were they hand crafted beers brought to you by a " mixologist"?

I kid.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-10-17 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-10-15 21:23, tikiskip wrote:
Were they hand crafted beers brought to you by a " mixologist"?

I kid.

All our beers are made with the finest hops hand pawed by only the most nonchalant of cats and brewed by mustached birds with monocles.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-10-18 10:11 am   Permalink

Ha!
If it was a beer for Ben then it was most likely a Bud.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-10-20 11:26 am   Permalink

This buds for you.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation