[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Hot buttered rum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hot buttered rum
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 5:43 pm   Permalink

HELP!!

I'm in need of a really good recipe for Hot Buttered Rum. No ingredients so obscure that I won't find in my local liquor store or grocery store.

Mahalo

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 8:04 pm   Permalink

Take a look at this site:

http://www.2020site.org/drinks/index.html

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-26 4:48 pm   Permalink

Ok, I bought some Hot Buttered Rum batter and some dark Myers rum and can report the results are only so-so. I read one recipe that called for adding apple cider. Opinions?

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-26 5:27 pm   Permalink

Making it from scratch yeilds much tastier results. I don't have a recipe with me at work but I'll post one later if I can remember.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem

Posted: 2003-09-26 8:31 pm   Permalink

Here's the Trader Vic's Hot Buttered Rum Batter recipe. Good stuff in the wintertime!

1/4 pound butter, softened
1 pound brown sugar (2.5 cups firmly packed)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch salt

Beat sugar and butter together until thoroughly creamed and fluffy; beat in nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Store in the fridge until needed.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-27 9:35 pm   Permalink

A friend from way back had a recipe that was far better than any other I tried, and the main ingredient was crushed butterscotch candies, you know, those round yellow hard candies in the golden wrappers. These are dissolved in water on the stove at a low temperature. A bit of ground ginger and cinnamon can be added here. It was all done to taste, as I recall. I suppose you could use a bottled syrup instead (if not butterscotch syrup, then maybe hazelnut).

After you have your watery syrup, you throw the rum in there, pour it into mugs, and drop a little dollop of butter on the top. It sounds too simple to be good, but it's very tasty and almost impossible to mess up! Unless you're, well, really drunk.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-09-28 11:48 am   Permalink

While the batter is fine for a large amount or if you'll be making it often through the season, sometimes you want to make just a drink or two.

From the Esquire drink book (1956):
Combine 1.5 oz gold rum, 3/4 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 stick cinnamon, 1 clove, 1 pat butter in hot whiskey glass (or tiki mug). Fill with boiling water, sprinkle with allspice.

From the Playboy's Bar book (1971):
Put 2 cloves, 2 whole allspice, 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long), and 1 teaspoon sugar into a mug (tiki or skull) with a tablespoon or 2 of boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add 1.5 oz. hot light rum and 0.5 oz. hot dark Jamaican rum, 2 oz. boiling water, and 1 teaspoon sweet butter. Stir until butter dissolves. Add more sugar if desired.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 12:04 pm   Permalink

Mmmmmm... this thread is making me wish it wasn't disgustingly hot in my apartment right now. Sure sounds yummy. I wouldn't have thought to use crushed butterscotch candies, but it sounds interesting... you used to be able to buy butterscotch chips (just like chocolate chips) for baking cookies, I bet they'd be much easier to deal with, but who knows how it would taste -- probably over-processed. Hmmm... maybe there should be a TC hot-drink recipe contest for the holidays?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-09-29 12:32 pm   Permalink

Speaking of butterscotch, Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Hotel on Hawai'i have a specialty drink made with butterscotch syrup, rum, and other stuff. I can't remember all that was in it but is tasted a bit too sweet to me. It was served in a bamboo ceramic mug.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 4:25 pm   Permalink

Okay, here's my slightly altered recipe which has been yeilding some tasty results. I got this from Sauceguides Cocktails vol. 2

1 oz. Myers dark rum
1/2 oz. sugar syrup
3 oz. apple juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. butter
top w/ boiling water
add lemon wedge and cinnamon stick

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the amount of butter. The recipe calls for 1 "knob" of butter but I have no idea what a "knob" is.

I'll be looking for some butterscotch syrup. That sounds REALLY good.

thejab

Posted: 2003-09-29 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-29 16:25, Juno wrote:The recipe calls for 1 "knob" of butter but I have no idea what a "knob" is.

It's hard to resist responding to this one but I'll try my darndest.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 6:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:
It's hard to resist responding to this one but I'll try my darndest.

Ha ha..I knew that didn't come out exactly right. The book with the recipe was published in the U.K. so when they refer to a "knob of butter" it's hard to understand how that corresponds to the American "knob" since all "knobs" are not created equally...or so I'm told.

Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-03 3:34 pm   Permalink

Here's two more you might want to try. WARNING: go easy or you might wake up looking at a hospital ceiling!

From The Gentleman's Companion by Charles H. Baker(1939)

"HAROLD PETER'S HOT BUTTERED RUM
Anyone who has sailed with Pete-whether around the world on PILGRIM, to EUROPE on the schooner LLOYD BERRY, or south to Florida from Cape Cod on some ship like our own MARMION, as we did, remembers his magnificent tattooed masterpieces, haunch, paunch, back and chest, and his Hot Buttered Rums at the end of a cold, wet, Fall chance. Our first introduction to them was running from Woods Hole to New York, one late October day, with the wind whipping up a dry nor'easter, and our new main trys'l pushing us along close to nine knots

Into each average sized glass put a teaspoon of brown sugar, a twist of lemon peel, a teaspoon lemon juice, four to six whole cloves, and a spoon. Take a "futt" dish and heat water on the galley stove-and in case we don't remember Pete's definition of that time-honoured bit of New England addenda, a futt dish is the flat tin handless sort of pan we see on top of bullet heating stoves down east, to keep the air humid. Actually any pot does as well.

To each glass donate two ponies of Barbados, or any stout rum - two ounces full - adding boiling water to taste, stir, and with the spoon which has kept the glass from cracking, slide in one teaspoon of butter on top. Drink as butter becomes wholly melted...When getting really fancy for Harbour Furl Company, Pete may float a spoon of rum on top, and set aflame, but not for anyone less than a full Commodore!

WORDS to the LIQUID WISE No. IX, on the EXCELLENCE of ALLSPICE in HOT RUM DRINKS
To vary the usual clove and nutmeg add half a teaspoon of allspice to the next hot toddy. The results is quite aromatically happy."

From The King's Bread-2nd Rising: cooking at Niagara 1726-1815 (1989):

HOT BUTTERED RUM
2 Gallons Cider
1 Pint Maple Syrup
1/3 lbs. Butter
2 Quarts Dark Rum

Mix cider and syrup. Bring to boil. Add butter and remove from the fire. Add rum and serve. DO NOT ALLOW TO REBOIL. Makes about 50 6 ounce servings.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-10-03 15:38 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-03 4:28 pm   Permalink

Here are some more. I'm getting thirsty!

OLD MR. BOSTON DE LUXE OFFICIAL BARTENDER'S GUIDE(1935):

HOT BUTTERED RUM
Put a lump of Sugar into Hot Whiskey Glass and fill with two-thirds Boiling water. Add square of Butter and 2 oz. Old Mr. Boston Imported Rum. Stir and grate Nutmeg on top.

The BARTENDER'S BOOK (1951):

HOT BUTTERED RUM
1 1/2 oz. Jamaica rum
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg
dash of brandy
pinch of allspice

Separate yolk and white of egg and beat yolk. Beat white until fairly still, them add sugar, and beat to a stiff froth. Combine yolk and white and add allspice. Put the mixture into a scalded Tom and Jerry mug. Add rum, then fill with boiling water. Stir well. Top with the brandy.

RED JAY BARTENDER'S GUIDE (ca. 1934):

HOT RUM PUNCH
2lumps sugar, in hot water to melt
One-half teaspoon butter
1 wineglass Jamaica rum

Place in hot water bar glass; add nutmeg, fill with boiling water and serve.

MIXTURES DE LUXE (ca. 1930's)

143. HOT GROG

One teaspoon of Sugar, Juice of one-half lemon. Dissolve with a little hot Water, then add one glass of Brandy, one glass of Rum, two Cloves, one small piece of Cinnamon. Fill up balance with hot Water, put a slice on Lemon into it. Stir up well, grate nutmeg on top and serve.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-10-03 16:29 ]

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 12:31 pm   Permalink

I made a couple of Hot Buttered Rums for my Dad and I the other night, very tasty!

I used some demerara brown sugar, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, with a pat of butter and a shot of rum. Boil some water and away you go!

Another drink for the Huki Lounge menu!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation