FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Hot buttered rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hot buttered rum
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 1:36 pm   Permalink

Say, you all be careful dumping boiling water into glasses, and especially into tiki mugs. Those often aren't meant for hot drinks and will crack and maybe even dump boiling water on your feet.

Please take care and use a sturdy mug.

Cheers!

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 5:08 pm   Permalink

The melted butterscotch candy recipe intrigues me, but seems more complicated than it has to be. Why not just use butterscotch schnapps? Say maybe...1/4 ounce of Buttershots to two ounces of rum, and then all the usual ingredients.

I've got some in the bar, perhaps I'll whip one up this weekend and give a report. If they're really good, perhaps I'll whip up four or five of 'em and to hell with the report.

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-12 17:09 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 1:19 pm   Permalink

Now that the weather is cool again, does anybody have any updates to share?

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-06 08:22 am   Permalink

For what it's worth, I think the premade Trader Vic's batter makes a great drink. I also recently mixed up the "batter" from scratch from the TV book of food and drink (the recipe is above in this thread). I used all organic ingredients for that. It came out different from the packaged product, more buttery and not quite as sweet. I like both. Though the Trader calls for using light PR rum, I personally have taken to mixing thse with Rhum St. James. If I'm feeling spendy I use Hors D'Age. Now that's a hot buttered rum!
-Sam

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 08:41 am   Permalink

..just can't 'warm up' to the HOT BUTTERED drink concept of any kind...for some reason, I always equate a rum drink with cold & refreshing or sweet /sour/fruity. Have TRIED the TRADER VICS batter and that MAY have been the thing that threw me OFF them FOREVER. It just was like HOT LIQUOR with a gross taste---kinda like when they used to push HOT DR. PEPPER back in the 70s...to my tastes, its an ABOMINATION that just wasn't meant to BE...just an opinion though

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 04:14 am   Permalink

I was watching Rachel Ray on food TV recently and they were in some ski bar in the mountains showing how they make hot buttered rum, and it looked really good.

Rachael Ray: Hot Buttered Rum

Bam! here is one from Emeril Lagasse

Another Food TV Hot buttered rum recipie

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2006-12-07 04:21 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Flange
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 08:19 am   Permalink

I made up a batch of batter last year:

1 pound brown sugar
1 pound butter
1 pound powdered sugar
1 half gallon vanilla ice cream
cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Basically you melt all that stuff together then you can freeze it into smaller batches. When it freezes it is still scoopable, so you don't need to thaw it out.

When you want a hot buttered rum, you add two tablespoons of the batter to and ounce or so of rum and add hot water to fill the coffee cup.

This is by far the finest richest hot buttered rum recipe I have tried.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Flange 2006-12-07 08:23 ]

View Profile of Tiki Flange Send a personal message to Tiki Flange  Email Tiki Flange     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 08:29 am   Permalink

All a bunch of very intriguing buttered rum recipes! I'm not sure which one I should try. That buddy of mine with the crushed butterscotch candies...I think that may have been because the candies were inexpensive and one didn't need to purchase another liquor to make the drink, just the rum. But I recall the intensity of flavor was unusual.

I gave some to someone who basically doesn't drink ever, just a little bit to taste, and his response was..."Gimme some more of that!! Give it here."

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 08:33 am   Permalink

Hey Tiki Flange... I was hunting all over for that recipe!! It is the most decadent and thickest hot buttered rum recipe I have ever made. And it's even good by the scoop like cookie dough from the freezer (but your teeth will ring)! I had non-drinkers at my Christmas party drinking those by the gallon. We hosted the dessert / coffee portion of our neighborhood progressive Holiday dinner, and people just wouldn't leave.

Thanks for posting that recipe!

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 09:10 am   Permalink

Does anyone have the recipe for the Mai Kai's h.b.r.?

That was honestly the best I've ever had (although I did just came over from the
Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures! thread and could be waxing nastalgic at this moment - but I doubt it...).

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 11:59 am   Permalink

I just bought a bunch of fresh spices, and it looks like it's time to work on some new hbr recipes! Great ideas on this thread, a lot of ideas I never saw before.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 4:11 pm   Permalink

Anyone got a line on the history of this drink? What are its origins? How far and to where can it be traced back? Just seems as though there's got to be an interesting story behind it, and I'd love to know it.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

we miss you wierduncletiki........

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-08 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-07 20:17, Monkeyman wrote:
we miss you wierduncletiki........

Likewise. I hope to make it down your way sometime soon. Tiki Oasis for sure!

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-10 2:50 pm   Permalink

It's a chilly, relaxed day in Nebraska and I decided to make myself a hot buttered rum. Turning to page 152 in Beachbum Berry Remixed, I found two recipes, but, I swear there's only rum in one of them. I ended up making the Pub and Prow version anyway, but I don't see how much rum is supposed to go in the Volcano House version. I assume an ounce?

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation