Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Hot buttered rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Hot buttered rum
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-12-10 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-10 14:50, Potato. wrote:
It's a chilly, relaxed day in Nebraska and I decided to make myself a hot buttered rum. Turning to page 152 in Beachbum Berry Remixed, I found two recipes, but, I swear there's only rum in one of them. I ended up making the Pub and Prow version anyway, but I don't see how much rum is supposed to go in the Volcano House version. I assume an ounce?

The Volcano House Hot Buttered Rum recipe in The Grog Log has the rum portion listed. One and a half oz Myers' Rum. Other than that the recipes are identical.

I haven't tried the Volcano House one yet but I sure do like the Pub and Prow version. Super easy to make too.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-11 8:43 pm   Permalink

I have been having these the past few times I went to Don the Beachcomber.
mmmmmmmm

Sometimes I will ask them to sub. Zaya or Zacappa instead of the Lahina rum they Normally use. actually I think the dark thickness of Lahina is better.
where the 2 Z rums as good as they are thin it out a bit too much.

I am not a big fan of Myers rum strait.
but I may have to try it in a HBR at home and see how it goes.
but to me the Myers rum is harsh, even though its a dark rum.

ymmv
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-14 07:18 am   Permalink

I posted my recipe on ProfessorCocktail.com:

Hot Buttered Rum

I'd never made one before this year. What was I waiting for?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-25 09:08 am   Permalink

Mele Kalikimaka! to everyone on Tiki Central.

Here's The Atomic Grog's take on The Mai-Kai's version of this holiday classic ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/25/mai-kai-cocktail-review-hot-buttered-rum-is-a-heart-warming-winter-classic/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 7:40 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have a recipe that is similar to the one at Smuggler's Cove

I cannot find my Sippin Safari book either, I only have the Remix handy and neither one of those two recipe's appeal to me at all

I want to make the batter on Saturday so the flavors can gel overnight, but I do not want a huge batch

I can halve this one fairly easily - but it doesn't have allspice in it, so i think it will be missing a bit of something...

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Hot-Buttered-Rum-Recipe

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-27 09:59 am   Permalink

I got this hot buttered rum recipe from Delish.com back in Nov/Dec 2011 in a very long and nicely photo-laden article/feature titled "95 Chic Christmas Cocktails." I have made their version of hot buttered rum, and I really liked it. I am *not* any sort of expert on hot buttered rum, so this was my first effort. It turned out great and I liked it. Also, it *does* include allspice which I think may be considered by many to be an important traditional ingredient to the drink. The batter keeps very well in the freezer.

Delish.com did not repeat this cocktail feature in 2012 or anything which even came close to it. Fortunately I copied the pages from their web site and saved ALL the recipes in a single MS Word document "just in case it disappeared." If you send me a private note I'll email my Word document or a PDF (or both) to you. The Word document has a clickable table of contents for convenience.

Hot Buttered Rum
In a preheated coffee mug combine 2 heaping tbs batter with 1 1/2 oz. Mount Gay Eclipse Rum. Top with boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon.

Hint: It is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to remove batter from refrigerator at least 6 hours prior to serving to allow it to soften.

Batter:
1 lb light brown sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter (softened)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight reusable container for up to a month, or place in your freezer until ready to use.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-27 09:59, AceExplorer wrote:
I got this hot buttered rum recipe from Delish.com back in Nov/Dec 2011 in a very long and nicely photo-laden article/feature titled "95 Chic Christmas Cocktails." I have made their version of hot buttered rum, and I really liked it. I am *not* any sort of expert on hot buttered rum, so this was my first effort. It turned out great and I liked it. Also, it *does* include allspice which I think may be considered by many to be an important traditional ingredient to the drink. The batter keeps very well in the freezer.

Delish.com did not repeat this cocktail feature in 2012 or anything which even came close to it. Fortunately I copied the pages from their web site and saved ALL the recipes in a single MS Word document "just in case it disappeared." If you send me a private note I'll email my Word document or a PDF (or both) to you. The Word document has a clickable table of contents for convenience.

Hot Buttered Rum
In a preheated coffee mug combine 2 heaping tbs batter with 1 1/2 oz. Mount Gay Eclipse Rum. Top with boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon.

Hint: It is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to remove batter from refrigerator at least 6 hours prior to serving to allow it to soften.

Batter:
1 lb light brown sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter (softened)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight reusable container for up to a month, or place in your freezer until ready to use.

It seems like all recipes either have clove or allspice but not both, it is very interesting

Also muscavado light brown sugar would be interesting...seems like it is going to be a lot of trial and error, also figuring out which rum will go the best with it...LH 151 heh, perhaps a bit strong

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-31 19:27, Dapuma1 wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-12-27 09:59, AceExplorer wrote:
I got this hot buttered rum recipe from Delish.com back in Nov/Dec 2011...

Also muscavado light brown sugar would be interesting...seems like it is going to be a lot of trial and error, also figuring out which rum will go the best with it...LH 151 heh, perhaps a bit strong

Another example of what makes cocktail mixology so much fun for us... Trying new things as experiments, tasting, sharing with friends, relaxing... What a great interest we all share!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation