FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How to get started?
How to get started?
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-26 4:17 pm   Permalink

Ok, I've got he bug now. Been looking through the "carving" thread, and now want to a stab at it myself. Sure, i could just buy a tiki, but I'd rather spend too much time, money and effort and THEN conclude that I like someone elses work better .

Any tips on how to get started?

I've got chainsaws (and know how to use them), chisels (never really used them) and a ShopSmith (havent used it).

start small? Go big? where does one find raw stock? (I'm in NorCal) Telephone pole? Logs? Palm logs? where? When? how?

Obie-Wan-Tiki your my only hope....

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-27 11:20 am   Permalink

I'd have to say to just get your hands on any ole log. Stay away from them teli-poles and just go to town. Study pics of tikis that you like and try to picture how the cuts were made, you know, depth and angles. Go slow at first and take a little off at a time.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 2:21 pm   Permalink

anyone have experience working with foam?

Anyone know where to get large-ish blocks to carve?

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 2:38 pm   Permalink

Choptop, read the "Carving Post". You'll find a lot of info there.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-09-28 14:39 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 10:50 pm   Permalink

Chop, I have always thought that using the redwood logs that are on the beach in Nor Cal could be cool. I think that Barney West used to use them.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation