[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Exotic beers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Exotic beers
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 6:04 pm   Permalink

Friends of mine who recently visited France brought home some Tahitian beer which had nice polynesian artwork on the can. It didn't only look cool it also tasted surprisingly good!

http://www.hinano.com/

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 7:42 pm   Permalink

Good taste, Klas. This one and Negra Modelo are probably my top favorite ones.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 8:18 pm   Permalink

Hefe Weizen (sp?) Dunkel . No lemon please!

(I was just talking to the owner of the distributer (gk skeggs) that carries Hinano for the u.s. last week. They might be getting a (bamboo ben) tiki bar for a trade show in Vegas coming up. Hmmm. Hinano will be coming out my ears!!!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 02:01 am   Permalink

Jag tücker om Hinano ocksa... det är gutt.

Good job finding our best imported beer...in Tahiti, this beer is a religion, with tee-shirts and hats of it everywhere, and there's even tahitian songs about that beer.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 04:40 am   Permalink

I thought I had tasted a very rare exotic beer that no one here had heard of, but obviously I was wrong

Quote:

On 2003-09-29 02:01, virani wrote:
Jag tücker om Hinano ocksa... det är gutt.

That's very good swedish, only a couple of small errors (Jag tycker också om Hinano... det är gott - I also like Hinano... it taste nice)

~The Surfites~

[ This Message was edited by: Klas on 2003-09-29 04:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Klas on 2003-09-29 04:53 ]

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 09:36 am   Permalink

Hmm...will have to try to find that beer here. I also brew my own beer, so i'm putting together my own Tiki beer recipe.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2003-09-29 09:37 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sinner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 10:23 am   Permalink

If anyone in Socal is interested in trying this (and many other) beer, it can be found at Galco's old world grocery store in Highland Park.

View Profile of sinner Send a personal message to sinner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-29 09:36, Tiki Bird wrote:
Hmm...will have to try to find that beer here. I also brew my own beer, so i'm putting together my own Tiki beer recipe.

I make beer too, and have been trying to decide what a Tiki beer should contain... I like fruity beers sometimes, and I make a good cherry flavored beer, but my attempt at a pineapple beer and an Orgeat beer both failed miserably.

Oh well... back to the hard stuff...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 11:53 am   Permalink

Greetings all,
Whilst enjoying myself at the Great Canadian Beer Festival here in Victoria I had this fantastic beer made by the Howe Sound Brewery. It had a nice banana smell to it. Somthing like that would be great as with a Tiki name. Here's a little about this particular one:

Hangdog Hefeweizen 5% alc./vol. A German-style wheat beer brewed with 60% malted wheat and 40% pale barley. The slight banana and clove aroma comes from the special top-fermenting yeast that is characteristic of many weizen beers. In German, "hefe" means yeast; "weizen" means wheat.

I tried many raspberry and cherry beers as well, all soooo good. I'm brewing a beer at home right now that's a Mexican Cerveza, not quite right for a tiki name. I wonder if I can find a good recipe for a hefeweizen?

Aloha, eh
-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 12:03 pm   Permalink

got a 6pack in da fridge already. my favorite.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-29 1:02 pm   Permalink

I've seen Hinano at The Wine Country on Redondo Ave in Long Beach.

[ This Message was edited by: UtopianDreem on 2003-09-29 13:03 ]

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 1:06 pm   Permalink

TikiBars,
My friends & i successfully made a peach hefe, but i think a tiki beer would have to have some kind of tropical fruit in it. I am attempting to find a mango or passionfruit extract for a pale ale or hefe recipe.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 1:48 pm   Permalink

Lambic fruit beers from Belgium are the best out there. They would be a great template for your tiki beer experiments.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 3:38 pm   Permalink

HO! a tiki beer would be da bes! hope you come trew wit da idea! I would love to try a mango flavor....my favorite fruit of da islands!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 7:08 pm   Permalink

For folks in the South Bay: Bristol Farms (Redondo, Manhattan, Palos Verdes) carries Hinano as well as an excellent selection of rums and liqueurs. (Of course, I always keep the Castaway Lounge well stocked with it also...)

Hefe weizen without lemon? EEeeewww...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation