FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Exotic beers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Exotic beers
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 9:49 pm   Permalink

It's true that a Hefe without lemon can be a little inspid...but not necessarily if done right. There's a couple micro pubs here in Vancouver that make good'uns, can be enjoyed with or without. And that banana thing - that's normal and essential, it's the main way I judge a Hefe. Yummy!

em

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 08:38 am   Permalink

Emspace is right, after drinking lots of hefes in my time ive stop putting lemons in them. My friend in my brew club does a hefe with a little puree banana in it as well.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 11:41 am   Permalink

*drool* ADDING banana to a hefeweizen? Yummy! Now I'm going to HAVE to try that one!

My first drink in a club was a Monkey's Lunch.(Banana by Bols, Kahlua and milk) After that my favorite thing to do became mixing drinks for friends, mainly concentrating on the sweeter variety, as well as martinis. Mmmm...
Peach on Malibu beach...
(Peach Schnapps, Malibu and OJ)

But seriously, I'm now on the lookout for instructions on home brewing hefeweizen. I'm already designing the label in my head..
I see a monkey in a Fez...

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 2:01 pm   Permalink

Ahh Hinano - A long story, short. Been trying to import it to the US for years. A guy in Hawaii brings it in from Hawaii and distributes it in California. Go to Bevmo.com and you can order it. A little pricey and the taste is not so good since it been shipped 1/4 way around the world, but its good. It is huge in Tahiti - They also have a new beer Tabu Beer - Not as good but I am trying to bring that in now. Hinano will never taste as good as in Tahiti.

View Profile of Pacific Andy Send a personal message to Pacific Andy  Email Pacific Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-10-16 5:35 pm   Permalink

I just picked up a 6-pack of the Tahitian beer at the Beverages & More in Danville (No Cal - East Bay - Valley) 2 nights ago! I HAD to get it - although I was already bogged down with Sing Ha and various rums (as well as the Parfait Amour that I can't wait to try!)

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 5:41 pm   Permalink

My steadfast favorite remains WIDMER Hefeweizen...WITH lemon! Best consumed with a WSU Cougars game on.

I agree, Hinano is best when consumed while in Tahiti after a day of exploring under the hot sun, but if anyone finds any in the NW, let me know. My tiki bar needs it (desperately).

I just picked up a couple of new beers to try and found one that I like: PUMPKIN ALE. I loved it and only bought one bottle...should have gotten more. Before I drank it I smelled its aroma...I highly recommend doing that. I found it at TOP FOODS (in the Seattle area) and it is bottled out of Portland. Perfect for a Halloween party!! This web has a huge picture of the bottle and comments:

http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/bottledetail/349/

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-24 1:20 pm   Permalink

After reading this post last Friday, I found myself craving a Hinano. It had been years since I was in Tahiti & I wanted a Hinano. On the way home, I swung by the local Beverages & More (which by they way is an awesome store, if you haven't been...go). Sure enough, they had them in stock, on the shelf, ready to be purchased. I purchased the entire case (all they had) and I was on my way. Got home, iced them down & I was pleased... they tasted as I remembered. Thanks for the idea and the trip down memory lane.

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-20 2:02 pm   Permalink

Tabu (the tiki lager beer) is made from the same factory as Hinano is in Tahiti.
It taste like Corona or Sol...I brought some cool glasses from Tahiti.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-20 11:44 pm   Permalink

when it comes to beer, Hinano IS our drug of choice here, for the most part.

it is as common, almost, in Hawaii, as Butweiper is on da mainland.

friend of mine started importing it from tahiti into Hawaii and orchestrated the distribution elsewhere...

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-21 07:41 am   Permalink

If you want a beer with flavor and fruit try some of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. Gotta agree banana or mango beer would be a treat. My dream is still to find a way to finance a Tiki inspired micro-brewery.

http://shop.leinie.com/page.htm?PG=berryweissnews

By the way this page even has drink and food recipes that you can make from the beer.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-21 07:44 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-21 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-21 07:41, Tiki-Toa wrote:

My dream is still to find a way to finance a Tiki inspired micro-brewery.

I thought i was the only one with this dream, damn i wish i was original, Tiki inspired mirco-brewery...Yes please!!!

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 3:39 pm   Permalink

Tabu from Tahiti is actually good. Its a little sweet but good. I dont think its going to make too much headway against Hinano in Tahiti.

View Profile of Pacific Andy Send a personal message to Pacific Andy  Email Pacific Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I make beer too, and have been trying to decide what a Tiki beer should contain...

we brew our own here island side;
lilikoi hefe, guava hefe...

ono!

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 4:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-29 10:26, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-09-29 09:36, Tiki Bird wrote:
Hmm...will have to try to find that beer here. I also brew my own beer, so i'm putting together my own Tiki beer recipe.

I make beer too, and have been trying to decide what a Tiki beer should contain... I like fruity beers sometimes, and I make a good cherry flavored beer, but my attempt at a pineapple beer and an Orgeat beer both failed miserably.

Oh well... back to the hard stuff...

I've heard of a Tribal New Guinea beer... I believe it's made from yams. Has anyone tried (thought of) brewing something like this?
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 7:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-28 19:42, thechikitiki wrote:
Good taste, Klas. This one and Negra Modelo are probably my top favorite ones.

Negra Modelo is also one of my favorites. Fortunately, living in San Diego it's not too hard to come by. Even my local taco stand serves it. My fave German beer right now is Spaten Optimator (for Oktoberfest). Also the local S.D. micro brews can't are popping up everywhere. The Alesmith Evil Dead Red Ale (jus' in time for halloween) is killer.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation