FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Seattle event: Wednesday, October 29 @ 'Ohana!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Seattle event: Wednesday, October 29 @ 'Ohana!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 2:42 pm   Permalink

Hey there fellow Seattles & other northwesterners:

Who would be interested in a get-together of some sort this month? My last day here in Seattle is Nov. 3, so this is my final opportunity to get together with local TCers (many of whom I still haven't met!).

There's Luau, 'Ohana, The Islander, and who knows what home bars are lurking out there.... We shouldn't let our area's lack of tiki hold us back from getting together -- hell, we can bring our own tikis to Leilani Lanes and dream about what could be. Ideas?

So far:

Humuhumu
tikibars
puamana
Selector Lopaka
woofmutt
sweetpea
Gramps
Exoticat

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-10-16 22:18 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 2:49 pm   Permalink

Hummu, I'm in!
It's a busy month for me though, so we's best start the planning soon! Maybe we can get together this weekend, and make a schedule or something...
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-30 4:40 pm   Permalink

Hey Humu,

Are you finally moving to So Cali?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 4:46 pm   Permalink

Yup! I should arrive in Southern California around the 5th or 6th of November. Ultimately, I'll be living near Pasadena (looks like I'll be working at Caltech).

I'm terrified, but in a good way. I grew up in Seattle, I haven't done the move-to-a-new-town thing before.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-30 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-30 16:46, Humuhumu wrote:
Yup! I should arrive in Southern California around the 5th or 6th of November.

I'm terrified, but in a good way. I grew up in Seattle, I haven't done the move-to-a-new-town thing before.

Humu,

Don't worry. Seattle is just like Pasadena, except for the differences...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 8:05 pm   Permalink

In Nov. i'm moving from Long Beach to Seattle. I have a feeling that i'll be back in less than 2 years.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-30 20:05, tiki-riviera wrote:
In Nov. i'm moving from Long Beach to Seattle. I have a feeling that i'll be back in less than 2 years.

What a shame that we'll be *just* missing each other! If there's some overlap between my arrival and your departure, I'd be more than happy to give you the Seattle run-down.

OK -- back to the event: I met with puamana & Selector Lopaka last night (as we do every Tuesday at Thaiku for Selector Lopaka's Lounge, Exotica tunes -- little plug there), and we figured that it would be best to determine the when before we concern ourselves with the where. So I pose to you these queries:

1. What days of the week are available/unavailable for you?

2. Do you prefer a weekday or a weekend?

3. What's your schedule look like for the month of October?

Once we get a day picked, we'll arrange a place. We're thinking we'll keep it simple this time out, and not try to attempt a crawl, just hit one spot (okay, maybe two).

I'll start:

1. Tuesdays are out for me, because I'm at Thaiku. Other days are fine.

2. I have no personal preference between weekday or weekend, I just want to make sure as many people as possible can make it.

3. Sun Oct 26 is out, Thu Oct 30 is out, other days are currently available. I would probably lean towards something later in the month, but only in the interest of giving people enough advance notice.

sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 4:15 pm   Permalink

I'm good anytime except
oct. 11,19,25,31
I just need to know what night it will be at least 1 week ahead of time so I can make sure I don't get scheduled at work.
Early weeknights work for me.
Weekends are good too.
Thursdays Oct 17 or 30 would be good
because I don't work the following friday mornings.
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 4:17 pm   Permalink

tiki riv,
be sure to let us know when ya git up here.
Maybe we can do another lil mini-crawl when ya arrive.

Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 6:23 pm   Permalink

(humuhumu - i'm so sorry i didn't get back to you when you were in town)

looks ,like lushy is providing a setting for seattlites this weekend...

----------------------------------
Lushy CD Release Party - Oct. 4th!
No cover charge!
Starts at 8:30 P.M.
Come one come all!

We're having a party to celebrate the summer release of our self-titled CD on
Dionysus Records. Hop aboard with us at Andy's Diner on Saturday the 4th of October.
Begins at 8:30 - No cover charge!

What? You don't know about Andy's Diner?! It's one of those wonderful, old-school
Seattle institutions that get rarer with each passing year. We've got a special
train car, the Round House, set aside just for us. This is one of those places that
makes Seattle fun. Come wander around in the maze of train cars that make up this
restaurant and spend an evening getting lost with Lushy!

Andy's Diner is located at 2963 Fourth Ave. S., 206-624-4097
Visit us on the web at
www.lushy.com
the Sound of Tomorrow, Today!

Andy, Annabella, Brad, Matt

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 7:18 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu, I forgot to ask you if you were going to Andy's Diner on Saturday to see Lushy. Hopefully we'll see you there. Anybody else from TC going ?

The dates that are out for us for a get together are 10/18, possibly the weekend of 10/25, and Tuesdays.

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 11:56 pm   Permalink

No worries, Futura Girl, and thanks for the reminder about the Lushy show! I'd wanted to go, but I'd forgotten all about it. I'll see you there, puamana!

sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-02 11:25 am   Permalink

Hmmm, maybe I will see you
two on Saturday night!
Sounds like fun, haven't been to Andy's in YEARS, been craving some uber-greasey food, and it's close to home.
Pea

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-05 10:50 am   Permalink

Lushy was *so* fabulous last night; they sounded absolutely fantastic in that space. They've been getting airplay on the best radio station in the universe, KEXP. Regarding Andy's Diner... how on earth did I not know about this place? It's so... jeez, I don't even know how to describe it. I can't wait to go back and have dinner. It's so old-school that the bartender only wanted my first name when I said I wanted to start a tab, she said she didn't need my credit card.

So, now that we've gotten a bit of feedback on dates, I'm going to put one forward: how about Wednesday, Oct. 29? This date has a couple advantages: one is that on Wednesdays at 'Ohana, they have "Live Island Music." I don't know exactly what that means, but it's gotta be a huge improvement over the "Funk House," "Down Beats" and "DJ Sexy Satomi" they have happening on other nights. The other advantage is that if we can do it that night, we'll have a Very! Special! Visitor! in the form of James Teitelbaum! Yee haw!

Whaddya say? Shall we congregate at 'Ohana on Wednesday, October 29? I would suggest we try to get there earlier rather than later, in case the wacky neighborhood kids pile in and make it uncomfortably crowded. Gimme a roll call so I can make reservations when the time comes.

[Roll call moved to top post]

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-10-16 00:34 ]

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-05 10:12 pm   Permalink

Andy's Diner: I was there with friends for lunch a couple years back and there were quite a few older businessmen in the restaurant. It was about 11:45 and there was no food on their tables. They were all making small talk, biding their time. At the bar the bartender wasn't mixing any drinks, just sort of standing at attention. At 12 noon sharp the old businessmen placed their drink orders and the bartender got busy. I assumed waiting til noon to drink proved to themselves that they weren't alcoholics.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt on 2003-10-11 00:37 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation