FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Seattle event: Wednesday, October 29 @ 'Ohana!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Seattle event: Wednesday, October 29 @ 'Ohana!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 3:05 pm   Permalink

Your story about Andy's Diner fits perfectly with what I saw. It's a real classic.

I'd be willing to consider the Islander, but I have to admit I prefer 'Ohana. My experiences there lately with the drinks & food have been pretty darned good, the only downside being the bad music; I was hopeful that the live music would take care of that. I've been kinda unimpressed so far with the Islander, but I haven't really given it a good try yet.

What would everyone else's preference be?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 3:29 pm   Permalink

That date works...
Haven't been to either places.
and If I gotta go downtown and find a parking spot, you may never see me. UGh.
Anyone in favor of Luau?
Dammit, why can't we have a Trader Vics here still...poooooh

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 9:33 pm   Permalink

Huh-? A sign from the Tiki Gods? As I was typing this an ad for the Islander came on TV! And TV has the same initials as Trader Vics...Speaking of which: Yes, Miss 'Pea, I too dream of Vic's (and hang my head in sadness when walking past the Westin). But I wish we even had a decent downtown old Chinese restaurant that hasn't been modernized. Something swell like the China Doll in Everett or the Red Lotus in Auburn. Something with out mauve vinyl.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt on 2003-10-11 00:39 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-10 09:17 am   Permalink

Whhhhheeeee, back to the top with this thread! I'll go to either...hmmmm,
I dont' think they are stumbling distance are they... What's say we meet at one, have a drinkie pooh, hail a cab and go to the other? Anyone? heeheehehehe

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-11 12:33 am   Permalink

Actually they are stumbling distance from each other (5 or 6 blocks, I thinks). But for this set Ohana is probably the place to go. It's dark and cluttered with stuff and it has more of that olde timey Tiki feel. Their bar is swell looking, and if you sit at the very back it almost sort of kind of feels like being somewhere cool (like the Alibi). I'd guess most Centralites would find the Islander disappointing...It's sort of "Polynesian nice".

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-14 11:59 am   Permalink

Okay, what's say we go to Ohana, and those of us that wanna go to the Islander (*I DO *I DO!) go down that way after Ohana...Should this be a meet after work early kinda gig?
I git off at 5 pm, and could be there by 5:30-6 ish?
everyone else????????????

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-14 12:49 pm   Permalink

I like Miss 'Pea's idea as I won't be joining the party until 7-ishtic so I could completely miss the Ohana part! [evil laughter]
In all seriousness (well, mostly all seriousness, that's the best I can ever do) I propose that you gals in the Tiki Central Seattle Chapter Ladies Auxiliary finalize things then tell the rest of us where to be and when and how big to smile.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-14 12:55 pm   Permalink

Puamana, Selector Lopaka & I went to the Islander for dinner on Saturday, and while it's nice & all, we all agreed that we like 'Ohana better -- it's just more cluttered & tiki. The Islander has a much more clean, modern Hawaii feel to it (it does have a few tikis, though, and it's worth checking out for those of you who haven't already). We like the food & drinks better at 'Ohana, too.

Of course, it feels a bit like splitting hairs -- neither of them holds a candle to places like The Alibi. It'll have to happen after I'm gone, but I think all the Seattlites should arrange a one-day road trip to The Alibi! I bet you could talk mrtikibar & TikiMaxton into showing off their kick-ass home bars, too. But I digress...

How does 6pm at 'Ohana sound?

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gramps

Posted: 2003-10-14 2:12 pm   Permalink

'Ohana on Wednesday, October 29 sounds good to me.
Although I am sad that you are leaving. Since meeting last Spring in San Francisco we only had the one chance to hang out. It was great meeting up with you and your friends that night.
Well we'll have to make this a night out to remember. I'll see you at Ohana's.

Gramps

-Pae mai la ka wa'a i ka 'aina
"The canoe has come ashore." Hunger is satisfied; desire fulfilled.

View Profile of Gramps Send a personal message to Gramps  Email Gramps Goto the website of Gramps     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 12:46 am   Permalink

Keen! We're going to have a pretty darned good group! Keigs, would you be able to make it down for a night on the town? How about the Vancouver contingent??

woofmutt: I think that puamana & Selector Lopaka found an old-time Chinese restaurant in the Int'l District, but it's not totally open? I don't remember the details of their story, maybe puamana can elaborate. If you can't bear the thought of hanging out with us at 'Ohana, I can call you when we're headed over to the Islander so you can meet up with us there. It probably won't be until after dinner, though.

Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 8:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks to the very thoughtful Humuhumu, (who kindly emailed me about this event *BEFORE* it happened), I will be able to attend my first-ever Tiki Central get together! wheeeeee!

Only 13 days to go...

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-18 01:30 am   Permalink

I think I know of that restaurant in China Town. It's been closed for years (with some sort of warning from the city slapped on it...Maybe toxic MSG levels?). I've wondered if it's time capsule pefect inside.*

Anyways, I hope to meet at Ohana to party hardy with reggae music and Jello shots...Plus I think Wednesdays they have the wet t-shirt contest, so you ladies dress appropriately (I hear they spray you down with beer!).

*Speaking of old Chinese places...Has anyone been to Perry Ko's South China on Beacon Hill? A swell exterior, I've never made it inside and learned recently it's closing at the end of the month (I bus, otherwise I'd pop up there and look around).

Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 5:23 pm   Permalink

...Plus I think Wednesdays they have the wet t-shirt contest, so you ladies dress appropriately (I hear they spray you down with beer!). >>

I am 100% sure I won't be participating in this contest, but I will be fully supportive of anyone who wants to partake in this activity--this includes Woofmutt and Gramps!

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 09:44 am   Permalink

I once said that I would NEVER enter one of those contests. Well, a couple hours and a bottle of Night Train later, heehee, guess who won the contest...
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Exoticat! Can't wait to meet ya!
Pea

sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 4:26 pm   Permalink

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so maybe that was a wee bit too much information...
hahahaha
Can't wait to see y'all on Wed. I may be bringing a fellow tikiphile.
Cross yer fingers.
Pea

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation