FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mauna Loa, Mexico City, Mexico (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Mexico City, Mexico (restaurant)
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 2:01 pm   Permalink

Name:Mauna Loa
Type:restaurant
Street:Ave. San Jeronimo 240
City:Mexico City
State:
Zip:
Phone:5616-2777

Description:
Restaurant/night club with a polynesian floor show, and a cover of 60 pesos (~$5). Don't know how long it's been around; reportedly \"a long, long time.\" Extremely popular with tourists, with several shows a week -- reservations are recommended. There used to be a Mauna Loa in Mexico City in the 60s at Hamburgo 172, I can't tell yet if there is a connection there.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 2:07 pm   Permalink

Tikifish said it better than I could, when she found Restaurant Luau in Quebec:

Quote:
The ultimate holy grail of tiki hunting (besides maybe a Mauna Loa mug or a Steve Crane bowl) is finding a tiki bar that hasn't been documented or found by other intrepid tiki hunters. It's kind of like being Lord Carnarvon and finding Tut's tomb unspoiled. But better, because tiki hunting doesn't come with a mummy's curse (though it would make a good name for a drink).

Indeed, this is a special, even magical feeling -- I've found a new (to us) Polynesian palace. I haven't been there myself yet, but I found a coworker with a sister in Mexico City who has been before, and grilled her with a few questions:

Do they have tikis? Yes

Do they serve tropical drinks in tiki mugs? Yes

What year did Mauna Loa open? Long, long time ago....

What does the interior decoration look like? Polynesian, it is very typical.

Is the food any good (warning: it almost certainly won't be)? So, so....

The responses aren't exactly as detailed as I'd hoped, and I don't have pictures, but it's a promising start. She hadn't had the Mai Tai and so couldn't report on the quality of the drinks, and she didn't give me any specifics on the floor show. Next step is to call the place and ask for more specifics, like what year it opened, and if there is a connection to the other Mauna Loa.

Now, excuse me while I do a victory lap around my office...

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 3:53 pm   Permalink

Felicidades, mi'jita! Qué padre! (and I love the thought of your victory laps!!).

One more reason to be glad I teach Spanish; there's another cool tiki bar out there where knowing the language helps immensely (when you're there)!

Now I'm REALLY overdue for a trip down south....I gotta week off for Thanksgiving (the whole work week, plus the attached weekends). Any traveling companions available?

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 4:15 pm   Permalink

Lemme see what it'll take to get a passport (I've never needed one before), and I'll get back to you!

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 6:26 pm   Permalink

Que Padre! Formika, I like that use of Mexican spanish. Or its Que buena honda! I guess some TC is off to CHILANGOLANDIA!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 8:33 pm   Permalink

Does that mean they are going to go to Chilangolandia on their Honda's?? Like a bike rally to Mex?? (I failed Spanish due to the fact I could not roll my r's.)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 10:22 pm   Permalink

Ben, "que buena honda" kinda means " how cool". Ben my boy, howzit?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 12:24 am   Permalink

No passport needed for traveling anywhere in Mexico, although it's always a good idea just to have one. I've driven all over Mexico without one and was just fine. http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 12:45 am   Permalink

I've decided to play it safe and get one -- I really should have one anyway. I've sent off for fresh copies of my birth certificate & marriage certificate, and I'll do the expedited passport -- I should be able to get one in time. Formika, I'll send you a private email where we can chat more & see if & how we want to do this. Judging from my adventures with Spanish & Altavista's Babelfish today, I really shouldn't be left on my own out there!

Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 10:34 am   Permalink

Maybe we can organize a trip if that darned Volcano don't erupt (which it seems to do every time I plan on hitting Tenochtitlan.) I'll never get to see Juan Diego's tilma!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 11:53 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu you seem like an unstoppable force once something gets in your head! I like that! Atomic Cocktail, I bet if you asked nicely you could hitch a ride with these gals. Popocatépetl wouldn't dare make a peep around these two. I am sure you'd be in safe hands with Humuhumu and Formikahini serving as body guards.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-10-08 11:53 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 07:49 am   Permalink

Just be careful ladies and gentlemen. Do you remember a man named Harry Truman? (real name, same as our past Pres.) He lived on Mt. St Helens. His words were, "This mountain wouldn't dare blow up on me". A few months later he and his home were incinerated, blown into the atmosphere. What a ride!!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 10:08 am   Permalink

Just for nerdy clarification's sake, Tenochtitlan is the valley (formerly the site of the Aztec capital, built on a lake, thus the sinking buildings today in Mexico City).

Popocatépetl (affectionately known as "Popo") is the active volcano shaped in the classic cone shape. In legend, he's the mourning prince, standing at the side of his beloved:

Ixtaccihuatl (or Iztaccihuatl), who looks very much like the "Sleeping Woman". She lies dead, stretched out under a sheet (of snow). Thses two mountains adorn the murals on the walls of just about every Mexican restaurant that has murals.

The story usually goes Romeo and Juliet-ish. Two opposing tribes, Ixtac's family are the hoity-toities (in the bad way, not the good way!). Popo's from the woodsy, hunter-y folks (too redneck for Ixtac's daddy). They run away together, but she dies of the cold and starvation, as Daddy has forbidden anyone to help them in any way. To this day, Popo stands over her, guarding her. Teach HER to disobey her parents and marry a boy from the "wrong" family!

This concludes your Mexican culture lesson for the day, class. You are now dismissed for recess....Where's my cocktail?

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 11:51 am   Permalink

Thanks Formikahini, I did know that Tenochtitlan was (is) the name of the Aztec capital/valley, but I didn't know the name of the Volcanoes, thats why I love Tiki Central. I learn something new everyday! http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/current_volcs/popo/mar5popo.html

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 1:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-08 07:49, jungletrader wrote:
Just be careful ladies and gentlemen. Do you remember a man named Harry Truman? (real name, same as our past Pres.) He lived on Mt. St Helens. His words were, "This mountain wouldn't dare blow up on me". A few months later he and his home were incinerated, blown into the atmosphere. What a ride!!

But they never found his body, and he had well stocked hidey holes in mineshafts in the area. several people think he might've made it & died of natural causes before anyone discovered where he was hidden.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation