FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Mexico City, Mexico (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Mexico City, Mexico (restaurant)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-14 8:17 pm   Permalink

WHOA ON THE WHOAS! Manu-Kai?!?! Never heard of that one! Where did you found that document? What is it? It's funny it was on the Hamburgo street, near where the other Mauna Loa was,(Hamburgo 172) also as your hometown in Germany. Tiki synchronicity...
Stairs welcome the visitor...

Now the plaza turned into offices, hair salons, english academies and night clubs... I was born 50 years too late.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-15 6:30 pm   Permalink

Bigbrotiki, I did contacted someone who used to work in the Mauna Loa years ago, he told me he have some relics, he just have to look for them, also, he is going to try to remember anything he can about the place... I will meet him again in two weeks or so.

Notice the to concrete pillars on the left? Probably was a nice sign or Tiki base. Language academy to the right. Dry river.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-18 07:59 am   Permalink

Here is a nice photo of the interior. I zoomed in on the table. you can make out a couple of mugs. The s & p shakers appear to be generic and not the Trader Vic type in this pic. The large Tiki in the postcard from TabooDan is not in the photo either. Kinda fun to pick photos apart. Enjoy.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-01-18 08:01 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-18 08:32 am   Permalink

Thought I would post the matchbook here also.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KoolRaul

Posted: 2009-01-22 10:17 pm   Permalink

I have very vivid memories of Mauna Loa! My parents were swinging lawyers back in the early 1970's. They used to take me there when I was a kid. I remember that in order to go inside the restaurant you had to cross a little wooden bridge that creaked. The restaurant itself had different levels. The food was a combination of Polynesian and island=inspired Chinese food. We would get battered shrimp, roasted pork and Chinese vegetables with dry reconstituted mushrooms that my dad would playfully call "Dragon skin". The most impressive feature of the restaurant was a large window overlooking an enormous two story waterfall. You could see the lower part of the waterfall at the bar right below.

The bar (and night club) was called "El Corsario". I don't think kids were allowed there, but I went there for a couple of private parties. The whole place was made to look like a pirate ship. I remember some of the floors leaned to one side, so it would "feel" like the ship was sinking - It was quite ridiculous, nowadays that would be against some type of safety code!
You would get your drink served in a different mug depending on the kind of drink you ordered. Since I could only drink Shirley Temple I would always get a brown glazed tiki guy.

My last memory of Mauna Loa was a New Years eve party at the Can Cun location. The Can Cun location was a scaled down version of the Mexico City restaurant. The party was quite fabulous. They had a live show with Polynesian dancers, and we got plenty of props (hats, sparklers, noise makers). As midnight approached the MC did a countdown and brought in a model dressed like a mermaid (two performers carried her inside a net) and also an enormous cake shaped like a volcano, complete with dry ice "smoke". At midnight there was dancing and a balloon drop.

Anyway, my mother may have pictures. I'll ask her next time I see her!

View Profile of KoolRaul Send a personal message to KoolRaul  Goto the website of KoolRaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-26 11:02 am   Permalink

Uncle trav, Thanks for the pictures! Where are those from?
Koolraul, welcome to Tiki Central and thanks for the description! I went there with my parents too... And you are right, El corsario (corsair) was the night club next to the restaurant where people would go to dance. Koolraul, it would be great if you could get those pictures!

The entrance of what many years ago used to be El Corsario.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-01 07:13 am   Permalink

Mauna Loa Menu

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-03 11:32 pm   Permalink

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-04 08:28 am   Permalink

Probably the last matchbook design they produced:

"A paradise in el Pedregal" Pedregal is a fancy and classic borough of Mexico City, means "place of stones", it's named that way because is all built on volcanic stone.
I have it double so if anyone want to trade let me know.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-11 9:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-15 21:07, TabooDan wrote:
Okay, I am doing a picture post test, but here is a picture of one of the rare headhunter style mugs from the Mauna Loa in Mexico City.

Bottom of Mug:

It's good to see that the cement tiki that was in front of the restaurant has lasted up until now.
Cool bit of Tiki history.

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2008-07-15 21:51 ]

Found this on Tiki Finds:
Quote:

On 2003-10-05 14:55, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
this weekend's finds:
when i spied this mug from a distance at first i thought it was one of those african-style trader vic's coffee grogs because it was so dark, but turns out to be from the Mauna Loa, Mexico. i would not have considered this tiki (Mayan or Aztec maybe?) but i bought it because of the recent thread about Mexican tiki restaurants.

Sweet Daddy T.
[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 22:04 ]

Notice the difference?

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-18 10:42 am   Permalink

Aloha again...

Mauna Loa swizle sticks.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-18 10:46 am   Permalink

Sorry for the terrible blurry picture! Notice the logo on top and the war club shape on the bottom? There's many color versions of it, I have 4 different ones.

Detail.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-23 09:10 am   Permalink

Different colors

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-10 11:39 pm   Permalink

From the Jan 1967 issue of "VENTURE" travel magazine:

"If you like an exotic evening, the Mauna Loa, Hamburgo 172 (11-00-20), serves Polynesian and South Seas dishes amid one of hte most colorful gardens in all the world, with pink flamingos wandering among the topical flowers. You get piping hot egg rolls with the drinks.

A Chinese restaruant, Luau, Niza 38A (25-74-74), has excellent Cantonese food."

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 03:47 am   Permalink

Cool Sabu!
El Corsario. Inside Mauna Loa... Your dancing ship in the south of the city.

Vintage ad.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation