FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaiian Room, Bellflower, CA (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hawaiian Room, Bellflower, CA (bar)
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 5:06 pm   Permalink

Name:Hawaiian Room
Type:bar
Street:9875 East Alondra Blvd.
City:Bellflower
State:CA
Zip:90706
Phone:(562) 866-9252

Description:
Old Tiki Bar from the late 1960's.
Origianlly decorated by Leroy Smaltz (Oceanic Arts)

The owners (Candi & Monroe) have owned the bar since 1980. The bar is now a local neighborhood hang-out with limited tikies. However, drinks are cheap, they have Hawaiian music on the juke, & there are a lot of cool Polynesian artifacts lurking in the shadows.

Resurrection: September 20, 2003
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5195&forum=4&72

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 3:18 pm   Permalink

Aloha TIKIphiles, I swung into the Hawaiian Room last night on a lark and had a great time. Although I just missed the thursday night $5.00 steaks(!), the Karaoke was happening and alot of fun. The best thing about this place however is not the entertainment or the decor (which is old and tattered thatch and bamboo but very cool), but Debbie the bartender was super nice and made an amazing "sex on the beach...with a curve"(?), and it only cost 3 bucks!(I quickly removed the fruit and umbrella as the local gentry were looking at me funny)Anyhoo, a good time was had by one and all and I recommend this joint to anyone who likes a little "dive" in their TIKI bar.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 3:42 pm   Permalink

tikitortured, glad you liked it, Candi & Monroe are great owners, i hear candi does a mean korean bbq.

tbird

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-04-30 15:42 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-14 10:47 am   Permalink

There's nuthin' worse than a "mean Korean" BBQ'n.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 6:26 pm   Permalink

I don't mean to beat a dead horse by reviving this thread but I really think this place deserves the attention. It's really a relatively unknown and unfrequented gem. It is such a classic old tiki joint and it gets very little recognition. Sure it has beer signs and posters of sexy beer chix hanging everywhere, but underneath all of that and the dust is a truly vintage Tiki bar. No offense to the Lucky Tiki or the Purple Orchid or Mr. Tiki, because I DIG those joints, but I'd rather hang at this raggedy old place, sip my mediocre-yet-cheap Mai-Tai, and daydream about what this place once was. Even better: what this place COULD BE again! All it needs is a little TLC...TIKI LOOKING CRAP. Man, if we (Tiki folk), made a few suggestions and/or donations to the owners, this place could be "the $#!+" again! I've talked to the owners, a VERY NICE man and wife of (I think) Polynesian-Asian extraction and when I told them how cool and classic their place was and how there is a big Tiki Bar revival going on, they seemed surprised. I'm not trying to "rally the troops" or anything but I do want to bring attention to one of the last REAL Tiki bars in L.A. or California, or the U.S. for that matter, cuz before long all we're gonna have left is our own home bars and a few newfangled,trying to be vintage, immitation, plastic coconut, twelve dollar Mai-Tai cuz Tiki-Ti does, ceramic tiki mask, yet still pretty cool cuz we got nothin' else left kinda places! So c'mon down and support this dive and strike up a convo with the sweet little Asian gal behind the bar and tell her how cool her place is and how much cooler it would be if she would put this Tiki pole you carved in the corner over there. I'll be the knucklehead at the end of the bar sippin' a FIVE DOLLAR MAI-TAI with a stoopid look on my face, gazing past that hot Mexican chick holding a can of Modelo. Aloha!

[ This Message was edited by: tikitortured 2005-09-23 18:29 ]

mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 5:45 pm   Permalink

This place ain;t have bad--I'm glad I had the chance to visit it the last time I was down there!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-05 9:39 pm   Permalink

I've been hanging out here after work. Its a pretty cool bar with a lot of history. Does anyone have some history or photos on this place. I would luv to see it in it's glorious hey day. I haven't had the steaks or bbq, but wold love to hit those nights! Any chance of anothe T.C. nite here!

View Profile of Tikiphantom Send a personal message to Tikiphantom  Email Tikiphantom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 12:29 am   Permalink

u r a brave soul

I have been there twice. scary stuff.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:20 pm   Permalink

Aw come on your big guy, its not that bad. hahahahahaha! Just a working mans crowd.

View Profile of Tikiphantom Send a personal message to Tikiphantom  Email Tikiphantom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:50 pm   Permalink

I stop to have a mai tai today after work. The decor is amazing, wall to wall tapa. Some nice lady rambled sweet nonsense mumble to me and another cute biker girl was ranting and yelling. It's a must go! Let me know if anyone plans to go in the afternoon during the week. It's only a few blocks from where I work.

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 8:21 pm   Permalink

I don't think I have been there ever since Miss Hawaii and I found its O.A.Tiki-handled doors locked, ten years ago.
Does it still have that white "Droopy" Tiki fountain statue in the entrance?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 8:26 pm   Permalink

I don't recall. I'll be sure to take some photo's next week and post them

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-06 10:04 pm   Permalink

I usually go on wedensdays and thursdays after 2pm. Hit me up if you go. I usually go when Brandy the bartender works.

Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-13 9:32 pm   Permalink

anybody up for drinks this weekend or next week after 2pm?

Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 8:28 pm   Permalink

Tomorrow is my last day at work and I'll be visiting here around 5ish. Come out!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation