FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Hawaiian Room, Bellflower, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hawaiian Room, Bellflower, CA (bar)
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 12:50 am   Permalink

PICTURES!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 08:45 am   Permalink

this place is a true hidden gem. i would love to see some old pictures from this place.

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-01 10:09 am   Permalink

Wow, that place is something else! People talk about how dust is a welcomed commodity when it comes to tiki bars... From the looks of these pictures, this place may have the most dust out of any current opened tiki establishment!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-01 10:09, Tiki Shaker wrote:
From the looks of these pictures, this place may have the most dust out of any current opened tiki establishment!

This impression however, is vastly exaggerated by the above photos' flash lighting. Every dust crumb reflects the light like under a microscope. I doubt the owners have ever seen their place like this. Observe, please:

A dramatically lit corner ( with film lights) of the Chin Tiki:

The same corner, lit with a camera flash:

Though I added a few props for my shot for Tiki Modern to make the image more cluttered, I certainly did not wipe any dust. Actually, I was so disappointed to find that my final photo showed so little dust, since it was meant to portray a Tiki tomb, that I briefly considered using the flash picture.

This is not meant to criticize Coco Joe's photography, which best documents all the detail left in the place that the human eye would not pick up on --AND it's patina. It is rare to find authenticity without dust. The Hala Kahiki is one of the few examples, they wipe it down top to bottom regularly.

When I stumbled on the Hawaiian Room in the late 90s, the entrance room had this type of Tiki greeting you:

In WHITE, mind you! I assume it is not there anymore. Sabu, was it still in place when you came upon this place?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-01 2:45 pm   Permalink

Hi Bigbro,

Actually, that tiki was at the Hale Hawaii in Torrance, not the Hawaiian Room. The tiki still there, and the Hale Hawaii is another gem of an old tiki bar that's still managed to survive. We must arrange a field trip for $10 scorpion bowls soon. Have to do it on a week-night though. The Hale Hawaii is no longer open weekends.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-06 20:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
I don't think I have been there ever since Miss Hawaii and I found its O.A.Tiki-handled doors locked, ten years ago.

This, too, is in reference the Hale Hawaii, not the Hawaiian Room...

Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 5:52 pm   Permalink

that big bro guy doesn't know anything about tiki

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-01 17:52, Coco Joe wrote:
that big bro guy doesn't know anything about tiki

An obvious rookie!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-01 9:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sabu and Z-man for clearing that up, I clearly mixed up my Hawaiian strip mall joints, tiz tiz! I was at the Hale Hawaii last more than 10 years ago, and looking at that entrance thinking "did it look like that?" No it didn't.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 09:10 am   Permalink

That doesn't look like dust, it just looks like garbage lying around and a tipped over barstool.

That being said...it's close to home, so I'll be there.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-12 4:14 pm   Permalink

Great Neighborhood bar. I will be there tomorrow after work.

View Profile of Tikiphantom Send a personal message to Tikiphantom  Email Tikiphantom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-13 12:33 pm   Permalink

Please join me for drinks tomorrow around 4pm

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-13 12:33, Coco Joe wrote:

Ha ha ha,
Sorry Joe, been there 3 times,
and it scared me all 3 times.
especially the 65 year old transvestite Karaoke singer.

Come down to Don's when your done.
I'll pay for you 2 to get into the show.
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-14 18:13, bigtikidude wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-13 12:33, Coco Joe wrote:

Ha ha ha,
Sorry Joe, been there 3 times,
and it scared me all 3 times.
especially the 65 year old transvestite Karaoke singer.

Come down to Don's when your done.
I'll pay for you 2 to get into the show.
Jeff(btd)

You're missing out! This place is awesome and seriously the nicest people ever!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 11:46 pm   Permalink

Bamboo Ben needs to do a resto on this place bad.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation