FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaiian Room, Bellflower, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Hawaiian Room, Bellflower, CA (bar)
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-14 6:21 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2010-11-14 18:23 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-15 12:35 pm   Permalink

Nothing says Tiki more than Coors Lite Neon signs and Karaoke.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shakenjason

Posted: 2010-12-02 4:51 pm   Permalink

I've lived in Bellflower my entire life, but just noticed this place yesterday for the first time! Looks interesting!

View Profile of shakenjason Send a personal message to shakenjason      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-16 8:37 pm   Permalink

I recently visited the Hawaiian Room as I was driving North from Irvine, and it was still too early for DTBC Dagger Bar. Could the HR be the only Tiki bar in the world (other than Frankie's) where you can get a drink at 10am ?? I really like the HR, not only is it a vanishing breed of authentic mid-century Tiki bar, but it's an actual Tiki DIVE bar. You can't say that about the refurbished Tonga Hut anymore.

Here's some interesting undocumented (??) facts that I got while chatting up the local barflies. When the HR opened in 1964, it was simply called the "Hawaiian Room", there was no Poly-Pop decor. The story goes that the following year (or maybe even much later), one of the regulars who was a superintendent at the nearby Tahitian Village motel complex in Downey, "appropriated" some of the decor there for the HR. I don't know if that's really true, but this is what they told me.

They also told me they have a great $7 steak special on Sundays and to come back for that. They were all a friendly bunch of working-class regulars who were VERY proud of their bar. They know that the tapa paper is very valuable and that nothing should be pinned on top of it, and not to turn on the fragile looking Pufferfish lamp.

Maybe we should start having a Tiki Central night there.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-03-16 21:01 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-04-17 11:46 pm   Permalink

Some pics that I took there in 2012

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-18 7:25 pm   Permalink

OK, John-O. See you there in November!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-19 1:24 pm   Permalink

I wonder if they still do the steaks there?

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation