Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A little polynesian pop in my dream home
A little polynesian pop in my dream home
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 9:46 pm   Permalink

I just bought an wonderful 1955 ranch style home in a criminally lush neighborhood in Phoenix. It comes with a nice 1960 mural in the dining room:

It almost didn't survive the last owner. Fortunately, one of the parents talked them out of painting over it.

heeheheehheeheh

I immediately found this on eBay to go with it. Sometimes using the word "tiki" in the title is a stretch but still a good thing.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-09 12:28 am   Permalink

Cultjam.....That is beautiful. Looks like your dining room would be a great place to start your Tiki room. Wish my parents had painted over the gold one color Roman column building that was on our dining room wall .......

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 01:36 am   Permalink

its an omen. cheers. please post progress on your tiki modification of the joint.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 02:42 am   Permalink

cultjam, what is the last picture, I can't really tell... a silk plant of some sort?

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 05:05 am   Permalink

Looks like ceiling lights incorporated into palm tree leaves.

The mural is beautiful! Makes you want to learn more about the previous owners.

[ This Message was edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:11 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 1:50 pm   Permalink

I thought it was an omen too. There will definately be a trip to the county recorder's office to find out it's history of owners.

The palm frond thing is an 8 1/2 foot long all metal ceiling fixture. It came from a modernist 50's home in Palm Springs. I thought it would compliment the mural.

Here's a closer view:

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-09 2:58 pm   Permalink

hEy CultJam, love that ceiling fixture. I was just wondering if there were any TCers in Pheonix area 'cause I just got invited to do a Tiki carving demo on Saturday, Nov.15th at the Hotel San Carlos. Theres some Tecky event, and Cal Tech is flying me out to carve poolside at a luau. They also bought Tiki necklaces from me that they're wiring with Led eyes. You should come check it out. It'll look like this only without the summer tan.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 6:41 pm   Permalink

TikiTony - I've seen a couple others post under new members but not much else. I'll go. Post it in Tiki Events!

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 10:52 pm   Permalink

hey cultjam
have you picked a room, or rooms, to tikify?
please show us your progress.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-12 8:53 pm   Permalink

That ceiling fixture is out of this world!

The mural is excellent as well. I grew upin Phoenix- what part of town is your new pad located?

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-13 02:58 am   Permalink

Thanks, Fatuhiva, it was irresistable.

The house is south of Thomas between 40th and 44th Streets. Wilshire down to Oak have matured large lots without the school district premium.

fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-13 11:11 pm   Permalink

nice. i know the area. Lots of sweet midcentury pads in there.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation