FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Kai Bamboo Grill, Philadelphia, PA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kona Kai Bamboo Grill, Philadelphia, PA (restaurant)
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-09 11:01 am   Permalink

Name:Kona Kai Bamboo Grill
Type:restaurant
Street:10000 Roosevelt Blvd.
City:Philadelphia
State:PA
Zip:19116
Phone:(215) 673-5002

Description:
Named after the former original Kona Kai Restaurant that was in the Marriott Hotel on City Line Ave. (See BOT pg. 143) The current KK has two dining rooms each decorated with bamboo, thatching, tribal masks, some glass floats, ect. In the main dinning room they serve Polynesian style dinners. There is a large koi fish pond with small waterfall and fake parrots. The second smaller dinning room is a Japanese Teppanyaki Grill Bar. Were your dinner is grilled in front of you by trained chefs who juggle knives and expertly slice up your entrees.

There are a few tikis around and the familiar "tiki string patio lights" They have a small bar with mai tais and scorpians on the menu. It ain't the Mai Kai, but hey this is exotica-starved Northeast Philly. It's definitely better than the alternative... nothing.

[ This Message was edited by: tikimug on 2003-10-09 11:35 ]

edit - now defunct

[ This Message was edited by: tikimug 2006-05-24 04:48 ]

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-15 10:46 am   Permalink

I found this, not a lot of info on their website...

Click Me

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 12:42 pm   Permalink

Ran across this article and figured it should be added here.
http://www.northeasttimes.com/2004/0226/konakai.html

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai Matty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 2:32 pm   Permalink

My wife and I went there for dinner lastnite , the food was great and the drinks were even better. Made my way down the drink list pretty far before calling it quits(had an hour drive back to DE) the Lelani's kiss is deadly that watermelon pucker seeks up on you . If anyone is close the next hawaiian party is feb.19th the 3rd sat. of every month dancers and singers supposely very tradional. I haven''t seen it yet but the 19th is coming

View Profile of Mai Tai Matty Send a personal message to Mai Tai Matty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 3:07 pm   Permalink

Really? You liked it? There must be a new cook, and a non-russian import bartender. Maybe it's just me. The drinks I had there were aweful, and almost the entire menu is frozen shit a la TGI Fridays or Bennigans or something. The food was watered down american/polynesian, and well, the service sucked. I've been there twice, and haven't had a good experience yet. Maybe I'll go on the 19th and give it a try, but the two times i've been there for dinner, and the 3 times I went for just drinks, well, the drinks were REALLY lacking. Maybe 3rd time's a charm.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 2:46 pm   Permalink

Greetings...this place hadn't been too reviewed on here, so we went to Kona Kai on Monday, January 24, 2005. It was a decent enough place - the decor in the main room was quite tiki-ish, very bamboo with a round fountainish thing that had a fake parrot hanging on a trapeze. The drinks were good, the food okay - had some prime rib (which I ordered forgetting how fatty it tends to be). The puu puu platter was good.

We had the unusual fortune to be there the day after the Eagles clinched their Super Bowl berth and which found Philadelphia still gripped in some serious snowfall. As such, we had the place to ourselves from roughly 7:30 until 9pm apart from the gent setting up the evening's karaoke. Thusly I cannot speak as to whether the place's normal crowd is raucous or not, as we experienced it under abnormal circumstances.

In the main room there's also a small stage with some tikis on it. The stage apparently supports the venue's karaoke nights. Off the main room there' a Japanese-looking area with some Benihana-style hibatchi tables. Since the place was empty, these were not in use the night we were there.

There's a small case back towards the bathroom entrance in which some evidence of the original location can be found. There are t-shirts and golf shirts for sale, and allegedly "tiki glasses" too. An inquiry with our server turned up no results on that front, though.

The mai tai is on the sweet side, but I'd recommend the Scorpion - it's a bit stronger. Drinks tend to be served in hurricane glasses. Overall, I'd rate it 7/10. My recommendation: if you're in the area, it's worth stopping by. If you're more than 2 hours away, though, I would not recommend coming to Philly *just* to hit Kona Kai. It might be a bit disappointing in that regard.

Cheers,
Rupe

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 on 2005-01-31 14:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 on 2005-01-31 14:49 ]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 3:45 pm   Permalink

I will attend the next dance night and take pictures. And perhaps give the food a second chance. But not the Mai Tai. I can tell you right now that it's pineapple juice, orange juice, sweet and sour, rum, and grenadine. I've sat at the bar and watched many be made. Aloha!!!!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai Matty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 8:30 pm   Permalink

hey hale tiki maybe we can catch up the nite of the 19th me ,my wife and some friends plan on going for the show . we will probably be the large crowd of tattooed people . don't know too many other people with the smae interest in tikis (the wife just puts up with my addiction)

View Profile of Mai Tai Matty Send a personal message to Mai Tai Matty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-31 15:45, Hale Tiki wrote:
I will attend the next dance night and take pictures. And perhaps give the food a second chance. But not the Mai Tai. I can tell you right now that it's pineapple juice, orange juice, sweet and sour, rum, and grenadine. I've sat at the bar and watched many be made. Aloha!!!!

Bingo, on that drink that they call a Mai Tai, I certainly wouldn't call it one.

I'd love to attend the dance night, I'll have to see if I'm off.

It sounds like they might have changed a few things since I was there, it was VERY generic looking... oh yeah the food was a small step above generic tasting, drinks I wouldn't brag about either... but still I'd go back!

I mean where else could I go? Tiki Bob's?

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:49 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=13036&forum=4&0

Mai Tai Matty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 6:43 pm   Permalink

We were suppose to go on 22 of Jan. but snowstorm kinda thru us off . There was going to be 16 of us but I'm pretty much the only one into tiki full on ,wife puts up with it but she does have a huge tiki tattoo on the whole back of one of her calves and a hula girl on the other . As for the 19th as of now about 10 of us or close to it are going if not more

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-19 9:18 pm   Permalink

NEW REVIEW TO COME SOON. THE FOOD HAS CHANGED, AND THE POLYNESIAN FLOOR SHOW, THOUGH SMALL, WAS FULL OF SPIT AND VINEGAR. NEW REVIEW TO COME SOON.

rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 6:40 pm   Permalink

Got some photos here of our January 2005 visit:

Palm trees in the Pennsylvania snow:

Looking back to the main road:

This one's blurry, but it's looking out into the hibachi-style dining area--a sort-of porch:

Tiki in the main dining area:

This little birdie hangs out all the time:

Good overview of the main dining room:

Random no-flash tiki shot!

Hope you dig 'em...
~Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikeNJ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-21 09:08 am   Permalink

Is this place still open? I wasnt able to open their website last week...

View Profile of TikiMikeNJ Send a personal message to TikiMikeNJ  Email TikiMikeNJ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-21 09:08, TikiMikeNJ wrote:
Is this place still open? I wasnt able to open their website last week...

Any news on this? I'm in Philly for a week soon and need somewhere to drink and eat.

Cheers

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation