Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Kava Bowl
Kava Bowl
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-12 7:37 pm   Permalink

I picked up this Kava Bowl from my friend KC Heylin a couple of weeks ago. It was owned by the founder of TEPCO - John Pagliero.

Underneath the base is etched "2/7/43" and "John and Mary Jo Pagliero". Mary Jo was John's wife.

Front Side - note 'MJP' for Mary Jo Pagliero.

Back Side of Kava Bowl.

Antone was John's son and handled the business end of TEPCO. John continued to do the hands on work almost up until his death at age 85 in 1968 - the same year TEPCO ceased operations.

I consider this bowl unique in that their is no duplicate. It was created by John for his wife Mary Jo, and is one of a kind.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-12 19:39 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-12 9:15 pm   Permalink

That is super cool Bong. Good for you.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-13 03:42 am   Permalink

Eh, howzit Kevin,
how'd ya get em? was it that great tiki hunter in your tribe?(your wahine)

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-13 09:03 am   Permalink

I'd have to say you have a monster in your hands....that's up there with the Stratavari of the tiki collecting world. Great, great find.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-13 09:27 am   Permalink

Gecko,

We acquired it from KC, who purchased it from a antiques dealer up in the bay area, who purchased it from the Pagliero estate sale.

The antique dealer that purchased it from the estate sale knew he had something, but not quite what.

KC is a very knowledgeable collector of Hawaiian art and ceramic pieces. Anyone familiar with Mark Blackburn's books on Hawaiiana has seen KC's pieces in those books.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-14 2:28 pm   Permalink

Bong,
You are STOKED!!! Wow.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-14 5:23 pm   Permalink

This puppy seems to be the prototype of the Trader Vic's Kava Bowl. You can find a rendering of it in Trader Vic's 1947 "Bartender's guide" on page 18. The copies alone are very hard to find, so this one of a kind is indeed a rare vessel. Put it in an earthquake safe display case, with a laser grid alarm system protecting it from the Tepco collectors.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-14 6:59 pm   Permalink

Aaaww, I say put it up on e-bay and get yourself a new Cadillac.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation