Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Speaking of TIki music, how'd this happen
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Speaking of TIki music, how'd this happen
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-15 8:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-15 20:47, seamus wrote:
I don't know, 45 Grave at Fenders Ballroom was pretty damn cool. Saw alot of good bands at that place including Sisters of Mercy.
....I had alot of goth friends.... really.

Man!!! 45 Grave, Dinah Cancer was pretty hot. Forgot about them, TSOL before they went hair band.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 04:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

...TSOL before they went hair band.

TG

...and way before the lead singer ran for Gov of California.
I was really into industrial back in the day so 1/2 the bands crossed into the Goth area. One of my favorite shows was Skinny Puppy, Halloween 1988. Opening act was NIN, no one knew who they were and they didn't get the warmest reception considering they were a little too "dancey" at the time. @ one time wasn't Depeche Mode borderline Goth?

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-16 04:39 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 06:23 am   Permalink

You all should go back and look at my pic in the embarassing photo thread just for fun...

Yes, I still have my cape in my closet.

Even better, my mom made it for me!!!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 10:53 am   Permalink

About 4 months ago, I got an email from the Damned's drummer's girlfriend, a neo-burlesque dancer from San Diego, who also dances on stage with the Damned. She told me that all of the guys in the band, but especially she and her boyfriend, were big into Tiki and even had a copy of TRT on their tour bus.

This, of course, made my week, since I was a big fan of this band in my wasted youth.

She set me up with passes to the show - I was quite surprised to find that they still sound good after all these years (last time I saw them was in the 80s).

The drummer isn't Rat anymore, it's a new younger guy.

Remember the Young Ones episode with the Damned singing "Nasty" - good stuff! Also: best Dmaned song ever (as opposed to best damned song ever) is one they didn't even write: "Alone Again Or...".

Oh yeah, and New Rose. And Neat Neat Neat. And Nasty. And Generals. And...

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 10:56 am   Permalink

Way cool, tikibars! How nice is that, when your heroes tell you that YOU're their hero! (OK, maybe not "Hero", but you get the idea)

(And it IS a good manual to have on your tour bus! Wish it had been around in my touring day!)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 1:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-16 10:53, tikibars wrote:
About 4 months ago, I got an email from the Damned's drummer's girlfriend, a neo-burlesque dancer from San Diego, who also dances on stage with the Damned. She told me that all of the guys in the band, but especially she and her boyfriend, were big into Tiki and even had a copy of TRT on their tour bus.

This, of course, made my week, since I was a big fan of this band in my wasted youth.

She set me up with passes to the show - I was quite surprised to find that they still sound good after all these years (last time I saw them was in the 80s).

The drummer isn't Rat anymore, it's a new younger guy.

Remember the Young Ones episode with the Damned singing "Nasty" - good stuff! Also: best Dmaned song ever (as opposed to best damned song ever) is one they didn't even write: "Alone Again Or...".

Oh yeah, and New Rose. And Neat Neat Neat. And Nasty. And Generals. And...

The new drummer's name is Pinch. He slagged Rat pretty bad on FM949 in San Diego, saying that Rat's arms had fallen off due to "Saturday Night Palsey" during a 3 day bender, among other things.

Ya know, now that Rat's quit the band that means that every single member's quit at 1 time or another.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 12:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-16 04:38, Turbogod wrote:
Quote:

...TSOL before they went hair band.

TG

...and way before the lead singer ran for Gov of California.
----edit---
@ one time wasn't Depeche Mode borderline Goth?

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-16 04:39 ]

The lead singer of TSOL ran for governor? I thought that was Jello Biafra of The DK.

Well when Depeche did "Blasphemous Rumours" they certainly swerved hard into gothland.

Aside from that song I always thought of them as more of a dance band. With some fetish dancers in the background maybe.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 12:35 am   Permalink

Rat was very cool when I saw the Damned years ago, but he wouldn't sign the Naz Nomad and the Nightmares 45 I had, claiming that Nick Detroit had died.

cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-17 00:31, TikiGardener wrote:
The lead singer of TSOL ran for governor? I thought that was Jello Biafra of The DK.

Jello ran for mayor of San Francisco.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 11:37 am   Permalink

Yep, held a spagetti dinner to raise money, had a Metro Whistle-stop tour, and promised to make all the lawyers, bankers, & brokers wear clown suits to work.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-17 11:51 am   Permalink

This was enough to make me delurk.

The Damned definately still have it and I was surprised to see that TSOL can still play as well - now that Jack is the lead singer again. I saw them about a year ago at a dive bar here in town.
It warmed my heart to find out that punk is not dead.

~H
*who totally gets the tiki-goth-punk connection*

View Profile of Hina Send a personal message to Hina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 3:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-17 10:25, cynfulcynner wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-10-17 00:31, TikiGardener wrote:

Jello ran for mayor of San Francisco.

Thats it, its all becoming clearer....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation