FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Scary Movies for Halloween?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Scary Movies for Halloween?
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 06:55 am   Permalink

I saw The Frighteners for the first time in many years the other night and was reminded why it's such a great film: It was co-written and directed by Peter Jackson.

It has a good story, is one of Michael J. Fox's better roles, has a lot of classic horror movie elements to it, and it's even funny (or at least amusing).

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelveTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 07:19 am   Permalink

I can not decide between Kevin home alone and Dirty Dancing. .... no, just kidding

Rosemary's Baby is my favorite.

View Profile of HelveTiki Send a personal message to HelveTiki  Goto the website of HelveTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 7:10 pm   Permalink

I never miss the gothic horror movies from Roger Corman & Hammer Studios this time of year.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 7:59 pm   Permalink

Mondo McGonzo,

I agree wholeheartedly about the film Trick 'r Treat. People really need to see that film. I think as the years go by it will increase in popularity as new viewers find it and love it, but we gotta get the word out.

And I hate to pimp my stuff out, but if anyone's interested at all, every October on my personal blog I do articles about random Halloween/scary stuff. Some of it may not be interesting, but.. I don't know. Somebody reads it.

www.potatoblog.net

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 8:03 pm   Permalink

Another good, new movie that people ought to watch is House of the Devil, directed by Ti West. It was made a couple years ago, but it was purposefully filmed and directed like a late '70s, early '80s horror/suspense movie. And it works. Not like a nostalgia film, but *really* looks like it was filmed back then. Good stuff if you like that era.

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-22 08:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-15 18:58, DawnTiki wrote:
Sorry Hanford, I started this in the wrong forum.

SEND IT TO BILGE!!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 08:59 am   Permalink

Why TC "old-timers" concerned about the watering down of TC have given this thread (and others like it) a blind eye is beyond me. I guess they selectively pick and choose their "beefs".

FYI, this thread dates back to the "good old days" of 2003.

But to add some Tiki significance to this thread, here's your Tiki Horror Movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5d3YfMU2C4

It is truly horrifying.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 09:13 am   Permalink

Yes, it's already been established that this thread (like many threads) is living in the wrong place. U-mod it to Beyond Tiki. Maybe if we all believe real hard that U-Mod works then Tinkerbell will come back to life and threads such as this will get located where they belong.

Anyway, here's the IMDB link to
Trick'r Treat.

Four interwoven stories that occur on Halloween: An everyday high school principal has a secret life as a serial killer; a college virgin might have just met the one guy for her; a group of teenagers pull a mean prank; a woman who loathes the night has to contend with her holiday-obsessed husband.

(I've never seen it, but now I want to. I like ensemble horror films. And I definitely like pert near any scary movie that isn't only about a group of people being killed one after the other in different twisted ways. Or isn't a "real" story made of fake hand held/hidden camera footage.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-22 09:21 am   Permalink

I guess others have tried:

Quote:

On 2010-10-13 23:58, SuperEight wrote:
Nice topic, but why isn't this in Beyond Tiki. I know that less people go there, but its still beyond tiki.

Quote:

On 2010-10-14 00:11, woofmutt wrote:
It does belong in Beyond Tiki. Maybe if we whip up a little controversy we can get it moved. You jerk.*

*I don't actually think you're a jerk, I just thought that maybe if I started a dust up this thread would get moved to Beyond Tiki faster.

EDIT - Sorry Woof, I didn't see your last post

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-10-22 09:24 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 10:10 am   Permalink

More Tiki Horror...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT0BquU1GRE

And here's my personal favorite "Tiki" horror movie. I think Gilligan's Island was based on this Japanese movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVyRYjJoZfc

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 10:56 am   Permalink

The starting question for this thread was "What's your favorite, ultimate scary movie?

I think that can be broadly taken to mean Post your recommendations for good scary movies.

I like this sort of threads as it seems most Tiki Centralites have broader and better taste than the world at large.

I genuinely value legitimate recommendations of films that people think are worth seeing and I especially appreciate detail as to why a film is worth seeing.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 11:15 am   Permalink

Fair enough.

I'm a BIG fan of 1930's Horror like:

Tod Browning's "Freaks"...

"The Island of Lost Souls"...

These Pre-code films were really twisted stuff.

Also this 1962 sleeper is a great favorite of mine. Many critics believe that "Carnival of Souls" was an inspiration for George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTz0EvfEiY

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-20 01:44, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well since the topic is movies I guess I better chime in,

The Mist-one of the better Stephen King movies in quite some time
John Carpenter's The Thing- still the best Creature Feature
Let the Right One In- a very good story
The Descent-watch it in the dark
The Fly- Old Version & Cronenberg version
Videodrome- more Cronenberg
Evil Dead 2- a classic
Dawn of the Dead- Zack Snyder version- Brains.....
(Old) Outer Limits
Val Lewton movies- Cat People,Isle of the Dead,The Ghost Ship & more-it's like Horror Noir, all classics!

Did someone say "Beef" & "Dust up" well I'm your man! I am glad to see some of you pointing out the hypocrisy here on TC!
This message brought to you by the (Tiki Central Liberation Front)

Well its about that time of year & I think last years list still holds up, but I would like to add the great 1944 movie
"The Uninvited" with Ray Milland & Ruth Hussey, one of the best Ghost stories ever! sadly it is still not available on DVD.

Quote:

On 2010-10-13 23:37, Milland wrote:
I was really surprised by The Vampire's Assistant when I saw it a couple months ago. I'd never read the book(s) it was taken from and had assumed the studio was just trying to cash in on another built in audience situation.

I watched it again tonight and dug it as much as I did the first time. It's well acted, has a really cool look to the costumes and sets, and a nice twist on the standard vampire stuff. It's also go some genuinely creepy elements in it.

The Vampire's Assistant really "sucked!" a real waste of some great actors all in secondary roles,lacking any real narrative, cheesy production values, The young leads could not keep a Disney sitcom audience interested for more then a few minutes. I give it one star.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-22 15:00 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 10:25 pm   Permalink

Dr Tongue's 3D House of Stewardess. Way ahead of the curve on the whole 3D thing.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 12:52 am   Permalink

Not really scary but occasionally creepy the New Zealand film Black Sheep is comedy gore film worth seeing. It's about genetically altered flesh eating sheep.

It's extremely realistically gory yet pretty funny. My friends and I were frequently laughing our heads off while people were being eaten alive and blood was flying everywhere.

The special effects are really good and the gore is really gross. (I am not a gore film fan, in fact I hate how plot-less killing and torture and gallons of blood have taken over the horror genre.)

Despite Black Sheep being a far fetched comedy I won't ever look at sheep looking blankly back at me the same way again.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation