FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Scary Movies for Halloween?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Scary Movies for Halloween?
MondoMcGonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-23 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-21 19:59, Potato. wrote:
Mondo McGonzo,

I agree wholeheartedly about the film Trick 'r Treat. People really need to see that film. I think as the years go by it will increase in popularity as new viewers find it and love it, but we gotta get the word out.

And I hate to pimp my stuff out, but if anyone's interested at all, every October on my personal blog I do articles about random Halloween/scary stuff. Some of it may not be interesting, but.. I don't know. Somebody reads it.

http://www.potatoblog.net

I just checked out the blog, a few months late but I love reading about Halloween all year round! It's nice to know I'm not the only one completely disapointed in this year's McBoo pals. I actually collect the old Halloween McNugget toys as well. Pretty much anything that brings nostalgia from childhood Halloweens I have a collection of!

View Profile of MondoMcGonzo Send a personal message to MondoMcGonzo  Goto the website of MondoMcGonzo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 10:58 am   Permalink

I just saw The Island which is a far better film than I had assumed it would be. (When The Island was released in 2005 the ads made it seem like it'd be something along the lines of Minority Reprt.)

The Island definitely falls into the sci-fi action category and though it doesn't deal with ghosts or monsters I found the premise its based on to be far creepier than any thing going bump in the night.

The Island may be too slick and Hollywood for some but I think it's a good example of how decent a big budget sci-fi explosion film can be. And it's disturbing enough to make it a good Halloween season pick. (Especially if you like guns, explosions, and chase scenes.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 11:38 am   Permalink

My halloween film set this year is going to be Bride of Frankenstein followed by Son of Frankenstein. I could watch those films a million time - Bride because it is near perfect and Son for the great Bela Legosi performace as Ygor. I always skip the first one because it puts me to sleep which is hard for an movie that is just over an hour.

I usually do the slasher thing on halloween (Texas Chainsaw, Halloween, Friday the 13th etc) but I'm going to class it up this year. I have a great fan copy of the Joe Bob Briggs Friday the 13th marathon that did the duty last year.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-19 3:58 pm   Permalink

I don't like slasher films. I prefer the classic monster flicks and Hitchcock.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
azomb478

Posted: 2011-10-19 8:31 pm   Permalink

I prefer the stuff from the thirties and forties,the Bmonster from 50's and 60's.Dracula's daughter is good older one if tired of the usual Universal classics.An excellent modern one -The Audition is almost guaranteed to make You squirm.A good/ bad one from the 50's Voodoo Island has both Karloff and a score by Baxter.

[ This Message was edited by: azomb478 2011-10-19 20:32 ]

View Profile of azomb478 Send a personal message to azomb478      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 9:05 pm   Permalink

A little trivia question: What was the first "Slasher" Film?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-10-19 11:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-19 21:05, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
A little trivia question: What was the first "Slasher" Film?

Hitchcock's Psycho?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 11:11 pm   Permalink

Hakalugi wins it!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 11:15 pm   Permalink

You could easily make the argument that either Psycho or Peeping Tom got things started. Certainly enough italian filmakers saw those two films and spun off into their own versions of them. From a more modern point of view of what is typically associated with slasher films, you could make an argument for the original Black Christmas.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 11:19 pm   Permalink

I agree..Trick R Treat is one of the best and most underrated Halloween movies out there. Worth watching foor sure!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-23 10:08 am   Permalink

I grew up in the 50s-60s, so I always go back there for my horror movies. The original Thing and It Came from Outer Space etc. Don't care for Slasher movies.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-25 07:32 am   Permalink

For Halloween, I am big into William Castle's original 13 Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill from the 1960's. They are both a little silly and tongue in cheek but legitimately spooky and fun.

Both were remade a few years ago, and I didn't like the remakes at all. They were too vicious and not fun to watch.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 11:52 am   Permalink

Last year while looking for something decent and Halloweeny to watch I came across The Ray Bradbury Theater Vol. I in a bargain bin.

It's standard low budget TV horror/scifi/fantasy stuff (like Monsters or Tales from the Dark Side) but it's generally enjoyable with some nicely creepy stories such as The Playground and The Town Where No One Got Off. Considering the low price it's not a bad acquisition for the fan of SF/F short stories and/or TV.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-10-12 12:50 pm   Permalink

Bridesmaids.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 1:10 pm   Permalink

A new entry for this year: "The Cabin in the Woods"

For the classic movie lovers out there, TCM is showing them all month
I DVRed "Curse of the Demon" & "The Uninvited" (Best ghost story ever!)
and we will watch them on Halloween night.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation