FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 1:04 pm   Permalink

After 16 years of living in Orlando, I'm finally going to the luau at WDW Polynesian Resort tonight.

Marian's cousin and his bride are in town and wanted us to meet them at Disney. Since Marian knows I mostly hate the crowds at the theme parks, she told them the only way they would get me to go is if we all went to the luau...

I love my wife!
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa Ed
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-12 6:22 pm   Permalink

I just got back from Disney and wanted to plug a little update in the thread
On the first floor of the ceremonial house, to the left when you walk in the main entrance, a new shop is being put in called "BouTiki" (not too clever but oh well).
There are some great carvings out front, and from what one of the employees told me there is going to be some new hand-carved stuff on display inside the store.
Apparently, it is going to sell mostly clothing items, but there will be a new pin released for the shop opening for those out there who collect that type of stuff.
The store opens the 15th of this month, and the grand opening celebration is the 24th. (these dates could cahnge...call ahead if it's something you're interested in)

And I also wanted to add my favorite thing to do while at the Polynesian : head to the beach close to fireworks time, grab a hammock, and catch the Magic Kingdom fireworks and the electric light parade on the lagoon with practically no crowds. Bringing a cocktail is also a nice touch!

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa Ed on 2005-05-12 18:23 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Ed Send a personal message to Tangaroa Ed  Email Tangaroa Ed     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 10:05 am   Permalink

Tangaroa Ed: that is definitely a cool and romantic way to check out the fireworks with the wahine.

my lovely wife and i were there a few weeks ago, and she nabbed a lounge chair and a snooze while i walked around and took some photos of the more 'out-of-the-way' tikis on property.

first, here's the new Bou-tiki that Ed was talking about... sorry, the lighting is not the best, due to the fact that it was still under construction..

and a closeup of the carvings:

here's a few cool statues that are interspersed amongst the longhouses:

note the broken left foot on this guy that is located by the bus stop; i picked it up and had a fleeting e-bay thought, but then dutifully put it back so that it was not as apparent as it is in the photo.. and yes, they are made out of fiberglass.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa Ed
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:26 pm   Permalink

Those pictures are great! I unfortunately left the digital camera at home for this trip, but those definitely show off the carvings out in front of the shop. I love wandering the grounds and checking out all of the others as well.
The beach is a really great retreat for the fireworks...just remember your bug spray. There were tons of mosquitoes out last week (which I haven't had a problem with at Disney before).

View Profile of Tangaroa Ed Send a personal message to Tangaroa Ed  Email Tangaroa Ed     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:38 pm   Permalink

glad you like the pics... that was the first time that i really took my time and walked around actually looking for tikis. usually we go in the front entrance and head to a restaurant or the pool area.

the mosquitoes are really bad here right now; i had to stop working on my newest tiki tonight because of them.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaBrad

Posted: 2005-05-17 11:13 am   Permalink

I really hope that someday the Polynesian will sell miniature reproductions of the tikis on the grounds. At least some of them are exactly the same as the tiki room merchandise coming out for Disneyland's 50th. When I stayed there about 9 years ago, I loaded up on the Coco Joe's tikis in the gift shop.

View Profile of KonaBrad Send a personal message to KonaBrad  Email KonaBrad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 2:55 pm   Permalink

that would be sweet if they would sell those; sadly, i think they're too busy pushing the ridiculous Stitch merchandise.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-21 6:07 pm   Permalink

Nice pics...when I visit in July I need to go while it's still daylight so I can check out the tikis on the grounds.

[ This Message was edited by: Juno on 2005-05-21 18:12 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-21 7:07 pm   Permalink

Juno: there are some cool tikis around the quiet pool area (as well as the volcano pool). have fun on your visit!

THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-21 9:21 pm   Permalink

Juno~~

For what it is worth.. I just finished two large paintings that Disney commissioned me to do for the New renovation of the Polynesian opening this summer. I was told they would be printed and hung in the next few weeks.

They will be reproduced and put in all the suites. I was asked to paint something very tropical,festive and detailed..but more generic..as far as Polynesia. I also was asked not to put tiki's in the paintings because some guests are afraid of them...especially foreign visitors...funny story.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the work. It should suggest a glint of the festive beaches of the Islands to add to your stay while in the room. They were fun to paint... Have a great stay if you or anyone here at TC stays there!! All fond Aloha's!!

~~~~~~THOR

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-21 21:23 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 7:41 pm   Permalink

Thor, thats awesome! Unfortunately, we're not actually staying at the Polynesian...that place is kinda pricey. Instead we're staying at a nearby resort. I plan on visiting the Polynesian after we do the park with the kids during the day. We'll be there for 7 or 8 days so hopefully I can make several visits. Can you post pics of the prints you were commissioned to make?

Quote:
I also was asked not to put tiki's in the paintings because some guests are afraid of them...especially foreign visitors...funny story.

No tikis??!! There are tiki's all over the place....why the hell would anyone stay at the Polynesian if they were afraid of tiki's? Pretty strange if you ask me.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 10:41 am   Permalink

I agree!! Strange!! What they said was that "in the rooms" guests get freaked by tikis "glaring at them" from a picture on the wall...I just went with it...what can you do.

I can't show pics of the work yet..until it's up and running. I will be at Disney next week and ask for digital copies and permission to post. Lemme know if you visit the place.....

~~THOR

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-23 10:41, THOR's wrote:
I agree!! Strange!! What they said was that "in the rooms" guests get freaked by tikis "glaring at them" from a picture on the wall...I just went with it...what can you do.
~~THOR

When a group of us including Bigbro were at the Polynesian earlier this year, the lady behind the counter at the gift shop pointed at a tiki pendant I was wearing (carved by Benzart) and said "we used to sell those goonies. The manager took them out because they scare the children and they are ugly... but I like yours."

We laughed about her comments for days. Goonies?
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-05-23 13:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-05-23 13:32 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 2:14 pm   Permalink

There's hope yet! If tikis scare the children, I can still beleive! It's good to know tikis have some power still! I am all for scaring kids.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 3:27 pm   Permalink

They didn't have those goonie pendants last time I was there in 2003. Just goonie shirts, goonie mugs and goonies with Mickey Mouse ears.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation