FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-30 7:29 pm   Permalink

thanks for all the pictures, Ace! I really enjoyed them. After the renovation I'd love to stay there.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 01:04 am   Permalink

AceExplorer: Mahalo for all the great photos! I'm glad someone is documenting the transition. It will be interesting to see how they blend the new features in with the old. I think you're correct in assuming that everything that's become old and tired looking will be falling by the wayside.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-03 06:58 am   Permalink

My pleasure, sir! I think Disney is firmly connected to what a world-class resort entails, so I expect, and look forward, to a huge across-the-board upgrade here. As stated elsewhere, there will be some downsides in the form of less access to currently open areas like the beaches and the pools, but that's fair to those paying resort guests who expect some privacy and control in a high-end resort. And with higher average occupancy due to Disney Vacation Club offerings, the resort will need to work hard to avoid congestion and maintain a peaceful and relaxed ambiance.

There really are many nice textures, patterns, and architectural features in the current incarnation of the resort. I tried to capture some of that in my photos, and I may post more images later.

One thing resort guests will have a hard time dealing with is the new and more congested look of the Seven Seas Lagoon waterfront. The bungalows over the water, especially, intrude into what was once, to me, a much more open and aesthetically pleasing vista. I went to the Grand Floridian to take pictures across the lagoon and it was amazing to note how much more busy the Polynesian waterfront will look when they are finished. There was a certain elegance in the simplicity of the old waterfront which I will miss.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 5:49 pm   Permalink

New art! From a wall by Ohana. Looks like new decor for Captain Cook's, and A-Frame entrances for the DVC wings.

Dig that floater lamp, too.

All images from Twitter user @Schmoofy

[ This Message was edited by: EPCOTExplorer 2014-06-03 17:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: EPCOTExplorer 2014-06-03 17:51 ]

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 6:03 pm   Permalink

Aaand there are a few more images on Schmoofy's page, but they aren't art. Just general construction, if you are interested.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-03 6:10 pm   Permalink

Yer link to the page didn't come across... Really, yer gonna make me Google? heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-03 6:12 pm   Permalink

Nevermind, I see you went back and fixed that post. I was reading messages in my email and not on the TC web site... Doh!

Pulling my head out of my (cocktail) glass...

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 9:51 pm   Permalink

Cool stuff, thanks for posting. I would expect more renderings to be going up in the lobby to give people something to look forward to. And perhaps lessen the impact of all the construction walls.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 07:29 am   Permalink

My pleasure. Happy to contribute.

And yeah- the walls are quite bleak. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll be up there next weekend…. I'll get a few more pics. Maybe of some of the less hectic spots of the resort. See what's still calm and original.

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-11 11:50 pm   Permalink

More photos! More information!

MICEAGE: Big changes and construction at Walt Disney World’s Polynesian Resort

[ This Message was edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2014-06-11 23:53 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 5:05 pm   Permalink

I'll be there tomorrow night, for dinner.

Sooooo depressing. But some good stuff to look forward to.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-25 05:58 am   Permalink

The following was reported by Deb Wills' team in the current AllEars® Weekly Newsletter.

AllEars® Weekly Newsletter
Walt Disney World News and Information
June 24, 2014 Issue #770

Great Ceremonial House Lobby: Now - December 2014. The atrium is being reimagined to highlight the cultural elements of Polynesia and provide more expansive views. At certain times of day, there may be some noise and alternative paths of travel may be needed throughout the Great Ceremonial House.

Capt. Cook's is undergoing a refurbishment with a grand reopening set for summer 2014. A temporary quick service location, located in the Great Ceremonial House, offers a similar menu to Capt. Cook's, but there are no self-serve Dole Whips. The temporary location is open 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. daily (that's 22 hours a day).

The Nanea Volcano Pool is scheduled to close July 26, 2014, and will not reopen until sometime in 2015. Several enhancements are scheduled, including a new aquatic playground with children's slides, a new hot tub, and a larger deck with more guest seating. As an alternative, resort guests are being notified that they will receive free, single-day admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park. Transportation will be provided to the water park, where a dedicated Polynesian guest check-in will be available, at which you can receive your complimentary tickets and towels. The Polynesian's leisure pool will remain open during the Nanea pool refurbishment.

The previously announced Trader Sam's Grog Grotto will not open until 2015. However, a new food and beverage location, Pineapple Lanai kiosk, which will offer the popular Dole Whip, will open near the feature pool area at the Polynesian later this year.

(Edited to correct the bolding of certain type.)

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2014-06-25 06:01 ]

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 08:59 am   Permalink

Sounds like they are moving some dates around. Happy that the lobby will be done soon. It's a punch in the gut to walk in there and just see a blank wall.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-27 9:46 pm   Permalink

The volcano pool is supposed to be closing today (Monday). Here's an update from MouseSteps.com that includes a bunch of photos, including some shots of the new water feature under construction in front of the resort ...
http://www.mousesteps.com/extra-features-mainmenu-64/parkresort-updates-mainmenu-65/1373-disney-s-polynesian-resort-construction-july-26th-2014-nanea-pool-closes-on-july-28th

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-30 9:51 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest from Tikiman:
http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/213-pool-closure

Among the highlights:

* As of July 28, the Nanea (Volcano) pool closed to be renovated. ... The expected completion is in March but many expect it will be more like sometime in April 2015 that it reopens. The area that will soon be fenced off will be from the back of the Great Ceremonial House and run to part of the beach. Access to the boat launch will still be available from the west side of the Great Ceremonial House.

* While the pool is closed, guests will have access to Blizzard Beach Water Park for the length of their stay at the Polynesian Resort. Guests are not allowed to use the Grand Floridian pool.

* The east pool had a temporary bar set up for guests.

* The side wall of what was Wyland Gallery has been removed to make way for the walk-up order window for the Pineapple Lanai that will serve Dole Whips.

* The area outside the back of the Great Ceremonial House is closed and the stream being removed. This will be the location of the new activity area called the Gathering Place, where there will be entertainment, torch lighting, hula lessons and movies at night.

* The pool will be gated and only Polynesian Resort guests will be able to gain access. There was speculation that the beach would be on the other side of the gate, but the latest details seem to indicate the beach will be accessible outside the gate. The pool deck area will have a fence around it with one side of the Barefoot Bar being outside the fence to take orders to those not in the pool area.

* Once the main pool is completed, the east pool will close to be renovated and a permanent bar and grill will go in.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation