FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-09 11:09 pm   Permalink

A very unexpected gift from friends. I've been told these may date back to the late '70s or early '80s ...

Meanwhile, at the Polynesian, they've gussied up the construction area in the GCH:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-polynesian-resort/gallery/08aug2014-polynesian-resort-lobby-construction-walls/21549.htm

But from the photos I've seen on Tikiman's Facebook page, it appears to be getting pretty ugly out at the closed pool and the beach. The bungalows are coming along, however, and are now getting paint, windows, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/Tikimanpages/photos_stream

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 07:50 am   Permalink

A small detail, but notable:

The original name will also be in the delightfully vintage font that graced the Polynesian Village in the 70s.

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/ElementGalleryItems/resorts/Fullsize/Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_21526.jpg;width=1280

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 11:41 pm   Permalink

That's the temporary map they're using this summer, right?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-11 07:50 am   Permalink

Yep, but it's got the new name!

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-15 01:05 am   Permalink

The Disney blogosphere is all atwitter about the re-opening of Captain Cook's. Nothing to get too excited about. Tikiman has all the latest news here:
http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/214-captain-cooks-and-dvc-news

There was some grumbling about the menu, but my thought is that they may be waiting for the opening of Trader Sam's and the new GCH refurb is completed before rolling out any major menu upgrades.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 08:42 am   Permalink

Makes sense. Digging those new travel posters. Lovely art.

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-04 05:46 am   Permalink

!!! The new Polynesian Village sign has arrived! Ironically, it’ll have a waterfall.

[ This Message was edited by: EPCOTExplorer 2014-09-04 05:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: EPCOTExplorer 2014-09-04 05:47 ]

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-09-04 07:11 am   Permalink

Nice. I was wondering what they were building in that narrow strip out in front of the main portico. Some of their land is really tough to develop. If they were to build the resort from scratch today, I'm sure it would have less "charm" than it does now and it would be laid out better in relation to the Transportation & Ticketing Center and the roads which service that part of the World. The configuration of the roads and the parking areas up front just doesn't do much to help the grandeur and first impression of this resort. The now-gone huge water feature in the center of the main lobby helped in that regard. It will be missed. I expect the new sign will be nicely lit and decorated, but its location won't lend itself well to having people hang around long to enjoy whatever it's going to look like.

Hmmm... I'm going to have to take some "after" photos to see how they align with my "before" photos from a couple months ago.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-06 1:48 pm   Permalink

Oh, this isn't at the main portico/Monorail station. This is at the front gate, by the guard house. Don't know what's happening to the area you described... yet.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-09-06 7:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for that info. I'm not sure when I'll be down there next, and I'm curious as to what that front construction work will turn into.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-07 07:43 am   Permalink

I'll be back in October... and I'll hopefully see what's up.

Dasgoot

Posted: 2014-09-19 10:29 pm   Permalink

Just got back from visiting there. Man, it's almost entirely walls at this point - I can't imagine how angry guests who are paying to stay there would be. I was annoyed and I was just walking through it.

Got a look at their new lake "bungalows"(i.e. the swanky huts built on stilts out over the water). They look amazing to stay in, but I've got to agree with AceExplorer - they definitely clutter up the view from the beach.

Also got to visit the Pineapple Lanai Dole Whip stand. They're offering some pretty cute plastic "tiki sippers" and "tiki bowls" for a couple bucks extra with your dole whips. Not amazing quality, but for an extra $4 each, I couldn't resist.

View Profile of Dasgoot Send a personal message to Dasgoot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 10:24 am   Permalink

Some updates from Tikiman on his website:
http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/217-october-update

He includes a blueprint for Trader Sam's and a design for a lighting fixture for the Great Ceremonial House:

More photos like the one above on his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Tikimanpages

Also check out my latest report on Trader Sam's and the new Polynesian Tiki mugs that are based on icons around the resort:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/10/07/trader-sams-grog-grotto-design-merchandise-revealed-during-mahaloween-event-at-disneyland/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 11:06 am   Permalink

Looks great. And that blueprint for Sam's is REALLY intriguing... are those THREE rooms that I see? Separated from the main bar?

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 10:27 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure about those dividers on the blueprint. It might just be for design purposes. Here's another that appears to show one big room:

And another that shows what looks like quite a bit of patio seating:

My guess is that the opening date will somehow need to be synched up with the completion of the pool, which is probably what is causing the estimates to be pushed back toward next summer.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation