FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-30 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-30 12:08, Ken Kanaka wrote:
Jim -- thanks for posting this.

I was chatting last week on Twitter with Steven Miller of Disney's merchandise development group about the possible origins of the Polynesian's logo mascot. I thought he looked like the Oceanic Arts New Guinea shield that hangs outside the Kona restaurant and he countered that it reminded him of Disneyland's Maui from the Enchanted Tiki Room garden. That sparked a memory so I went back through my files and found the 1972 card, which I had mistaken for one of those slips of paper that you often get when you buy a tiki statue.

Thanks to him, I was able to put two and two together and finally determine that it was a card handed out to guests and the mystery of Maui's identity was finally solved. How in the heck everyone at Disney managed to forget his name, we may never know.

[ This Message was edited by: Ken Kanaka 2015-03-30 12:09 ]

GoAwayGreen, that you?

It'll be interesting to see if Disney starts to use his real name in merch. They're using this little fellow quite heavily, now. It'd be nice to see 'Maui' pop up on some merch or official descriptions.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-30 4:29 pm   Permalink

Okay. If you say so.

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-30 7:05 pm   Permalink

^^^ Speaking of the old sign, didn't they say it would pop up again once the refurb was complete?

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ken Kanaka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-31 10:35 am   Permalink

kenbo-jitsu, that's exactly the New Guinea bowman's shield that I thought was the inspiration. It was the discovery of the card that was handed out to guests that kkocka posted the photo of that sealed the deal. It's possible both were used as the inspiration.

[ This Message was edited by: Ken Kanaka 2015-03-31 10:36 ]

View Profile of Ken Kanaka Send a personal message to Ken Kanaka  Goto the website of Ken Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-31 12:20 pm   Permalink

Then should this be called a "Maui Bowl"?

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-01 05:30 am   Permalink

MERCH!!!!

Those mugs... spectacular.

Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-01 09:30 am   Permalink

Are these mugs available NOW/or will be and only with specific drinks etc. ? Thanks!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-01 10:30 am   Permalink

And what's the details on the mugs? I just read today that the pearl mug at the Grotto is plastic? So any info people have on pricing, quality, etc. would be appreciated (especially if you were to include pictures). And if you don't mind and it's not obvious from any pictures, etc. - let us know which ones actually say Trader Sam on them and if the Grotto version is the exact same kind as the West Coast version or not.

Dang, I'm needy with all these questions...but there's a reason. I probably won't make it to Grog anytime soon BUT I have a co-worker going there potentially in the next week and I'd like to know what I should have them get me and how much it might cost. So any assists with all this will get you tons of mana. Mahaloz!

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-04-01 12:29 pm   Permalink

The mugs in EpcotExplorer's post are not Grog Grotto specific. They are for the Poly. I don't think they are serving drinks in them at Sam's either, right?

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-01 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-01 12:29, finky099 wrote:
The mugs in EpcotExplorer's post are not Grog Grotto specific. They are for the Poly. I don't think they are serving drinks in them at Sam's either, right?

That's correct. Not yet, anyway. The mugs in my pic haven't been released yet.

As for the quality- only one- the pearl- is plastic. The rest are tiki farm quality and made of a great glazed ceramic.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-06 11:21 am   Permalink

Last week, I had the opportunity to tour Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows prior to the grand opening. Coming soon: I'm working on several stories and photo galleries from the media event, plus my first taste of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward) ...

FYI, it seems like they're no longer using that old Maui story in reference to the logo Tiki. I asked the GM about it, and he referred me to the PR folks, who got back to me later and said there's no official story. Perhaps they're working on a new back story. When I toured the bungalows, we were told that there may be a plan to offer lamps featuring the Tiki (see below) to the general public.

We were able to interview Kyle Barnes, the Imagineer who oversaw the entire Polynesian refurbishment. Someone asked about the logo Tiki, and he said: "He's the mascot. Right now he's called the Polynesian Tiki. We'll see if he gets a name. We want the most befitting name possible." So I asked if he's a Maui Tiki, and he said: "He is, but he's very abstracted."

So perhaps there's a plan to name him and give him a new story, it just hasn't been done yet.

Note: There's a separate, ongoing thread on Trader Sam's here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=44996&forum=1&start=360

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-09 10:10 pm   Permalink

Here's my story, plus a couple links to the photo gallery:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/travel/say-aloha-to-disneys-revamped-polynesian-resort/nkpNs/

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/gallery/travel/photos-disneys-polynesian-villas-bungalows-grand-o/gCR2j/
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/gallery/travel/photos-disneys-polynesian-villas-bungalows-grand-o/gCR2j/#all

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation