FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Outrigger Apartments, Stockton, CA (apartments)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Outrigger Apartments, Stockton, CA (apartments)
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 4:00 pm   Permalink

Name:The Outrigger Apartments
Type:apartments
Street:Pershing Avenue
City:Stockton
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

While the architecture is definately polynesian/ tiki, there are no actual tikis on the grounds anymore. Trust me, I looked.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-10-16 16:01 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 8:27 pm   Permalink

Here is an update to the Stockton Outrigger Apartments. The address is 4415 North Pershing Ave. The Apartments are in really good condition. They have maintained the original Polynesian architecture and ornamentation. I took these pictures while on the Golden Tiki expedition and found this 1974 phone book add a few weeks ago.

I have also confirmed that these were the second apartments built by billionaire Developer/San Diego Chargers owner Alex Spanos.

There is a pool there but the one picture I took didn't turn out so ill work on getting another one.

Notice on the underside of the A-frame that the wood paneling is in great shape and the hanging lights looked like they must be original.

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker

Posted: 2009-09-30 8:48 pm   Permalink

Did you peak into any of the bushes? Any old tikis hidden in there? The foliage looks pretty lush, I'd bring a golf club or something and start poking around for tikis!

What did the inside of the courtyard look like? More pics please!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 10:09 pm   Permalink

Wonderful! The stairs inside the A-frame, very unique. And the lamps, I can't make out what they are made with, is it resin? And the original sign, hidden by the foliage, lovely.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 10:26 pm   Permalink

I didn't really do a through investigation on this place since I was on the hunt for the Golden Tiki at the time. I figured that it was so obviously Tiki that it had already been documented. I shall return to this site with camera and eeh... golf club in hand.

Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 10:34 pm   Permalink

Great! Also of note is the fact that the Outrigger beam has not been sawed of, it seems. Is there a painted design on it? These things are hard to photograph against the blazing sun, time of day matters. I sometimes had to return to sites a couple of times to get the right light.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 10:43 pm   Permalink

Bigbro wrote -

Quote:
the lamps, I can't make out what they are made with, is it resin? And the original sign, hidden by the foliage, lovely

The lamps looked like old brownish metal, like they were tarnished a bit. I will be sure to get some close up shots of those on my return trip.

The sign is very nice, I wonder if this place survived in such good fashion because of who built them, Alex Spanos. One other thing i just found out is that he sold them a long time ago and more recently he sometimes drove by the place and thought of buying them back for sentimental reasons.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 11:31 pm   Permalink

Cool...yeah, I do that all the time, too, driving by Tiki Temples and thinking of buying them for sentimental reasons

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 4:59 pm   Permalink

Don't forget the giant moai out front!

I didn't know Spanos had any connection to this building.
Let's see if we can get him feeling sentimental about the Stockton Islander and maybe he can resurrect that!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 5:05 pm   Permalink

OK I'm back from a major photographic expedition to the Outrigger! Here's all the pics. Got some close ups of the lamps and outrigger ornamentation as well as support beams for the A-frame, old accent flood lighting and original door knob etc.

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 5:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Tobunga wrote- Don't forget the giant moai out front!

Actually the moai goes to the Bali Hai Apartments next door

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2009-10-01 19:54 ]

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 8:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Tobunga wrote - Let's see if we can get him feeling sentimental about the Stockton Islander and maybe he can resurrect that!

That sure would be great! put Stockton back on the Tiki map.

Also during my research on this place I found out that Spanos considered the Outrigger the sister to to the Bali Hai. He also came up with the name Outrigger and built it for about 350,000 in the early 60's.

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 5:09 pm   Permalink

Been diggin at the Outrigger, came up with these!

Front View

Artist Rendering

Courtyard

Interior of Apartment Room

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 6:05 pm   Permalink

Great old photos. Really love that artist's rendering. Thanks for doing the digging.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-06 05:39 am   Permalink

I was recently contacted by a member of Stockton's Cultural Heritage Board who was looking for information on the Outrigger. At the next board meeting he will be nominating the Bali Hai and Outrigger Apartments as "Structures of Merit, which is an initial recognition of noteworthy and historic architecture in Stockton, and could be a precursor to landmarking (which is a more lengthy process)".

He got many pictures of the place off Tiki Central. After checking my files and sending him the info I realized there were a few details from my research that I had neglected to post. I'll do that soon.

This is great news, I hope all goes well and these temples will receive their due recognition.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation