FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Rarest Martin Denny Record Ever Pressed? ...And Other Exotica Tidbits From The Kahuna Collection
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Rarest Martin Denny Record Ever Pressed? ...And Other Exotica Tidbits From The Kahuna Collection
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 11:47 pm   Permalink

Folks, I got a call from a record collecting friend of mine the other day that he was headed my way and had some scarcer exotica in tow. I, of course, said "The bar and the guest room are yours, my liege, just bring the records"... It took us two days to reach an agreement on these, but- among such other rarities as Robert Drasnin's "Voodoo", Arthur Lyman's "Leis of Jazz", and Les Baxter's "Jungle Jazz"...there was this curious Martin Denny record, a pressing of "Martin Denny's The Exotic Sounds Of Hawaii", c.1965, on red vinyl and on a strange Japanese offshoot of Liberty called Ever Clean records..The back cover notes are all in Japanese character writing. I have never, ever seen this Denny record before, period (Although I've never seen Al and Shelley's stash)...This has got to be one of the toughest exotica pressings out there...I was enthralled to get this record. But it gets even better...Arthur Lyman's "At The Port Of Los Angeles"... a 1967 Arthur Lyman special presentation record for the Western Cotton Shipper's Association, featuring some of Lyman's classics. I put a few shots of some of the rest of my collection in there just for silliness

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-18 7:58 pm   Permalink

very cool, basement!

i have pretty much every Denny release including the singles and that's the first i've seen of your japanese pressing.

good score!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-18 8:35 pm   Permalink

Danke!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 12:04 pm   Permalink

Great find BK, I've never seen that. I picked up an odd Japanese album a while back. It had cover art of two Kids in traditional Japanese clothes. the only English on the whole album read "The Akuma Hawaiians". I bought it and it is the kick ass uke album. I think they like Exotica/Hawaiian in Japan. Now I have to look thru the old import bins.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 5:28 pm   Permalink

That's funny...I at one time had a lot of Korean stuff when I collected "nobody records", I.E. wanna-be Steves and Edyies, wanna-be Wayne Newtons, and various other unknown lounge lizards (wizards?). I had a fake lounge act at one time called Al Romay, and another named Manny Mantuso.

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 11:04 pm   Permalink

my fav-o-rite ones are the vietnam/thai mid to late 60s go-go records....they rock! i can just see the frothed-mouthed GI's flicking dollars at the Southeast/Asian answers to Nancy Sinatra in the Saigon nite spots.

i have a few Arthur Lyman japan-imports and some Les Baxter.

is the material different from his domestic releases?

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 01:09 am   Permalink

sounds like you got da one that was printed in Japan. I have to ask Mr D. about that one again. Great looking collection my man.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 5:26 pm   Permalink

i am an insane collector...knowing that makes it easier to NOT start up new collections...when i FIRST started to collect vinyl i told myself ONLY 78's (like R Crumb)...i made my first retro fitted record purchase on the island of Kauai...Andy Iona's 78 set...when i got home and put those tunes on through my $15 elementary school style turn table i was already hooked like a crack monkey and had nooo idea that the next 5 years would be swap meets and record stores combined with ebay...it changed me

any hawaiian record is nice to hear...though for exotica's CRAZIEST guitar wizard's tracks pick up any of the ABC paramount "Adventures in Paradise" volumes or Roy Smeck's self titled efforts on the same label...he is the man...there are NUMBEROUS discs by that cat and each has it's highlites that i just can not ignore...i also dig percussion style exoctica music like Martin D and so onin a HUGE way...they are equally hypnotic/gimmick and special effect layered...for some reason strings just do it for me...

by the way that Martin Denny record looks amazing...i wish you could upload mp3s or at least broadcast it for us all to enjoy...

does anyone broadcast OLD OLD exotica for TC peeps??? i'd LOVE to be a part of it if someone wants to put together a broadcast straight from LA...

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-21 01:52 am   Permalink

On the topic of rare records, I have always thought this was a rare Arthur Lyman record, mainly because I have never seen another one.

It's called Jan-u-wine presents Arthur Lyman Luau Time. Its on Mark 56 records, Anaheim California. It has 12 songs.

Their is a small story about Jan-u-wine products on the back cover, makers of "Oriental gourmet cookery".

Anyone got any info? Anyone else have one or seen one before?

Erich Troudt

[ This Message was edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-10-21 01:55 ]

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-21 02:23 am   Permalink

I've never seen that one either.

Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-21 09:04 am   Permalink

I've got one, but, I don't knowmuch about it
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Larry Lava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-22 12:51 am   Permalink

Those are very cool records. I don't have the rare ones and I wish I did. I do know that Mark 56 (for the Luau Arthur Lyman record) did all of the cool promo records for such reputable institutions as Taco Bell and Alpha Beta Grocery Store. Many other unusual ones too, this one included. I wish I had this one. All of the covers I have seen of Mark 56 have been great! Don't know if this is common knowlege but I thought I'd post anyhow.

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Lava on 2003-10-22 00:52 ]

View Profile of Larry Lava Send a personal message to Larry Lava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-22 2:12 pm   Permalink

yeah that cover is pretty wacky...it looks all post johny quest and scooby doo style painting...it's more like the chan clan or hong kong phooey style BG...television animation references from a TV animation slave worker

some say the worse the cover on a record the better the music is...especially with TODAY's artists i find it true too often...

ALL of these records look boss...i wish we could hang play them and sip to tomorrow's tomorrow

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-23 10:02 am   Permalink

BK: That's definitely a very cool find! The Exotic Sounds "Series" (Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny in Person, Exotic Sounds from the Silver Screen, Exotic Sounds Visit Broadway, etc.) all are in the $20+ range as far as a "retail/book" price for a mint/near-mint condition record. The red vinyl will shoot up the price AND the Japanese writing will add to the price on top of that! Each addition (red vinyl, non-English writing) all add to the premium. How much? HA! No telling really. It's a rarity, so a die-hard Denny fan can offer $50/$60/$70+ for it (in mint/near-mint condition), but then you've got those die-hard "rare" vinyl collectors NOT really into Martin Denny but into rare import vinyl, and could offer $100+ for it. You know how the biz goes BK. I have never seen that record myself on regular US distributed black vinyl.

Troudt: I do have that "Luau Time" record. Anaheim, California is about 15 minutes from my house, so I am wondering if there are quite a few of these pressings around, since I do run into them from time to time. The price I see ranges from $8 to $15 (depending on condition). I have seen a sealed version at an asking price of $25. I would have bought it, but the shrinkwrap looked questionable, and looked like "newer" shrinkwrap (you have to watch out for stuff like that when dealing with a premium-priced record) and had ring-wear (an indentation on the album cover from the record pressing against it from the inside of the cover). My version has a sticker (just like BK's picture of the sticker with the "Western Cotton Shipper's Association" name on the album cover) but with a restauranteur's/food convention sticker on it (I'll have to dig it out and show you). Jan-u-Wine (listed on the back of the album), I believe, was some sort of seasonings company. It's been awhile since I've taken a good look at mine since I do have literally thousands of records in storage and don't have the room in my home to house all the junk...er, umm...stuff..um,.."Fine Collectibles" I have.

Hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-10-23 10:03 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
von franco

Posted: 2003-10-30 12:03 am   Permalink

yo erich i think u stole that from me lol.

View Profile of von franco Send a personal message to von franco  Email von franco Goto the website of von franco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation