FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Rarest Martin Denny Record Ever Pressed? ...And Other Exotica Tidbits From The Kahuna Collection
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Rarest Martin Denny Record Ever Pressed? ...And Other Exotica Tidbits From The Kahuna Collection
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-30 02:08 am   Permalink

No way dude..but I got plenty of other stuff I stole from you.

Give me some time, and I'll post a picture of my ultra cool Les Baxter album "Space Escapade" that you want and ain't gonna get, my friend.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-30 02:27 am   Permalink

Nice Marty and Arty discs there, BK. The FORBIDDEN ISLAND is always hard to find, in another thread we talked about how the same Tiki on it appears on a Mills Brothers Hawaiian album cover and also on a men's magazine nude foldout, it was probably rented from the legendary ROSHU prop company in Hollywood.
The "Polynesia" cover belongs to a fave Exotica sub-category of mine, "Exotica-album-covers-shot-at-Polynesian-Restaurants", this one was shot at THE POLYNESIAN in Torrance, I have a copy that shows a pic of the place in the back, "The Polynesians" were the houseband. (I wonder if "The Beachcombers", house band at the Kahiki ever did an album.)
There are also two covers by THE SURFERS shot at Steve Crane's THE LUAU, two THE OUTRIGGERS covers (a studio musician outfit), one shot at Don The Beachcomber and one at Trader Vic's in L.A., a Latin cover shot at THE TIKIS, and a Canadian lounge singer album shot at the Montreal KON TIKI. The fact that not only the music was recorded on the mainland, but also the locales were from here makes the artifice complete in my book (well, WOULD have made it if the BOT could have kept it's Exotica chapter!).
My big question: WHERE was Marty's QUIET VILLAGE cover photographed? That bamboo pier screams Polynesian Restaurant...or maybe a theme park? But the light looks like an interior... (I remember that Sandy Warner mentioned somewhere that the PRIMITIVA cover was shot in am icey creek in Mammoth).
Anybody else have a cover that fits that genre?

I have Arty's JAN-U-WINE too, had to get it because of the weird Tiki art, I mean a Tiki under a bamboo roof, where did that come from !? (reminds me of these cemetary statues I saw yesterday here in Berlin that had modern canvas roofs set up over them to protect them from the the acid rain..)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-30 07:43 am   Permalink

Thanks, BigBro...that's very good information..I may have another of the ones you mentioned...just got back my copy of Adomono "Guitariste Fantastique"'s "A Night At The Beachcomber" from Kiliki, all recorded live a the Waikiki Don The Beachcomber's. Nice cover shot, too...I'll post it again when I return from my daily business foray.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderval
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-09 11:28 am   Permalink

I've gone through lots of Lyman and Denny's, but I always return to listen to one record: Bahia, by Arthur Lyman. I believe it is the most beautiful and densly recorded rain forest sound ever pressed on vinyl. However I have no clue if it is a rare album, I just saw it once, but then again, here in Europe Hawaii is far away.

Yesterday I picked up Ports of Paradise by Alfred Newman and Ken Darby. The great pull out leaflet makes up for the very orchestrated content that was sponsered by the Matson Navigation Company. Anyone seen that one before?

View Profile of Traderval Send a personal message to Traderval  Email Traderval     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 01:17 am   Permalink

Ok, here's my rare album. (or at least obscure)

Found this at a garage sale in Lomita a few years ago:

"Taboo Vol. 1" by the "Arther Cyman Group" (sic). This is Arthur Lyman's "Taboo" but with the songs in slightly different order, I believe. Check out the cool lemon-lime/cola colored vinyl:

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 09:02 am   Permalink

The Lyman "Port of Los Angeles" LP is pretty rare. It was released by the LA Port to promote trade. The rarest ones are full color on the back.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-19 23:04, tiki1963 wrote:
my fav-o-rite ones are the vietnam/thai mid to late 60s go-go records....they rock! i can just see the frothed-mouthed GI's flicking dollars at the Southeast/Asian answers to Nancy Sinatra in the Saigon nite spots.

Those records are cool. Here is one of the best/rarest examples:

Recorded in Saigon during the war years, this LP features female lounge acts from GI bars like The Kontiki, Eden Roc, Queen Bee, and the Olympic. Very cool.

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 01:42 am   Permalink

I'm with BigBro on the JAN-U-WINE cover. A Tiki under a thatched roof? What the? I, personally, think it looks kinda like a Birdhouse. But why would an Arthur Lyman record have a picture of a birdhouse (Tiki or otherwise) on the cover? Hmmmmmmmmm...

That record was featured as a stream on Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge within the past year. I heard it. It's good. That Vegas Vic is a pretty cool guy (as Vics go).

So, BK. What's on the Red Vinyl Japanese pressing? Is is just an unusual item or does it include any unusual music?

TraderVal... I picked up a copy of the Newman/Darby Ports of Paradise not too long ago. Forget that it's "not really at all exotica" and just listen to it over and over (while pouring over the photo spreads in the insert, of course). It's really a marvelous thing. Okay... Maybe not that "Madonna In the Flowers" part.

[ This Message was edited by: Traitor Vic on 2005-06-25 01:44 ]

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-26 4:03 pm   Permalink

I was hoping against hope that some TCer would win this auction and make mp3s so we could all hear this record (ebay auction, album cover has nudity):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4738095928&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Since the link will eventually die, here's the description:

"M. KAWAHARA & THE EXOTIC SOUNDS ecstasy on VENUS records. jaw-dropping disovery here for fans deep into exotica and sex-ploitation sounds. this is a late 60's album of very well executed exotica standards with incredible overdubbed orgasmic female purrs and moans - the best example from this sub-genre that i've heard. was purchased from a indonesian dealer so MAY be from that country but (if artist credit is non-fictitious) arranger is cleary japanese. an ultra-obscure rarity to be filed next to your craziest exotica/sexploit LPs (chaino's eeire spectre, tortura, etc). you won't believe their s&m version of "taboo" or their "jungle drums" with searing fuzz guitar and overtly-sexual panting girl vocals (which just lowered the stock of chaino's "jungle chase", and all of his recordings for that matter, by 75%). SO many good songs on here it's crazy - side two opener "mit day lagoon" (sic), minus the softcore angle, is one of the coolest, most unique exotica songs i've ever heard! and 2 or 3 of the numbers layer the orgasmic moans over lovely wordless female chorus (album closer "poinciana" a great example). insane nude cover art here as well. should be reissued but we aren't the label to do it and what category would stores file it in anyway?"

Alfred Newman's Ports of Paradise: That version of Little Grass Shack with Mavis Rivers is SMOKING! IMO. She sounds to me a little like Doris Day singing a slightly suggestive version of the classic hapa haole tune with a strip tease rhythm backing her. And those men singing back up crack me up: "It's lonely over here with only fish and poi!" One of my favorite Hawaiianotica tunes.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-25 01:42, Traitor Vic wrote:
I'm with BigBro on the JAN-U-WINE cover. A Tiki under a thatched roof? What the? I, personally, think it looks kinda like a Birdhouse. But why would an Arthur Lyman record have a picture of a birdhouse (Tiki or otherwise) on the cover? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Here's the cover art in question:

Pretty interesting history. From what I can gather, this was basically a giveaway record produced for the Jan-U-Wine corporation, maker of soy sauce and other oriental foods. Normally you'd think something like this would contain drek or throwaway tracks -- but no, it's practically a greatest hits record; with Quiet Village, Yellow Bird, Bwana A, Bahia, etc.

p.s. thanks for comments vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-01 11:45 pm   Permalink

The Jan-U-Wine record was released by a company called I think Mark 56 (its late and I have no memory) owned by a man named George Gabadarian (sp?) that mostly did promotional records for various food companies. They did the Avengers VI album (a fantastic surf album which I was blessed to reissue on Bacchus Archives) for Good Humor Ice Cream. The band was signed to do an album, but didn't know that the record was going to be called "Good Humor!" There is an Arthur Lyman 45 that also has the song "Peanut Butter" by The Marathons...with a double groove, you don't know what song is going to play when you drop needle. Another one of the many interesting "budget" type labels from a magical era!
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Table Top Joe

Posted: 2005-07-02 10:58 am   Permalink

Where do the Martin Denny 10" UK Liberty pressings figure on the rarity scale? I've never seen those.

View Profile of Table Top Joe Send a personal message to Table Top Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bellybongo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-02 11:41 am   Permalink

Mostly a reply to BIGBROTIKI

You should try to locate ARNIE AKA-NUI's AN EVENING AT ARNIE'S LOUNGE, he made several records, and if I ever get to Florida, I will visit, very cool album, though amateurish, but then, how many Tiki Bar owners play in their Bar? I wish I had more of his records, if anyone have spare's, I can trade for many scarce US and Hawaiian exotica LPs in at least VG+ shape

See photo here:
http://www.bellybongo.se/temp/DSC06628.JPG

View Profile of bellybongo Send a personal message to bellybongo  Goto the website of bellybongo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-02 12:08 pm   Permalink

I think I mentioned this before but I have a copy of Exotica by Martin Denny that has side two pressed on both the A and B sides. It's probably more of an oddity than a rarity and sadly it's Quiet Village free.

I also have a Japanese copy of Fire Goddess pressed on cool bright red vinyl with liner notes in Japanese.

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki on 2005-07-02 12:12 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bellybongo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-02 1:50 pm   Permalink

I may be from far away, but I have not seen "collector madness" on Exotica LPs that is offered on eBay, I find exotica collectors willing to spend lots of money on "very rare" LPs, and not on mis-presses, or strange foregin presses, I may be wrong.

My hope is that the music some of us love is not finished yet, and with a weird silly imagination in someone's acid trip, we will see a bunch of new cool wax, but that's just me. It depend how you see the world

It would not be very fun if the "exotica community" turned into the usual dead LP collector business staring at dead facts

View Profile of bellybongo Send a personal message to bellybongo  Goto the website of bellybongo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation