Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A little tiki something for the wall
A little tiki something for the wall
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-19 7:38 pm   Permalink

We picked up this tiki mosaic a couple of weeks ago, once again, from our friend and master tiki sourcer - KC Heylin.

This is the same mosaic that is on page 174 and 175 in the BOT. It measures 22" by 82". The frame was made by KC's friend, and is period correct.

This is a view of our living room from the kitchen. The couch, loveseats and endtables are all vintage koa pieces. Anthuriums are carved into the front panels of all pieces.

The cabinet against the back wall houses my most favorite bowls, mugs, nodders, and misc hawaiiana pieces.

Outside temp: 78 degrees and sunny.

(my lawyer said I must state that all interior design done by Madame Bong)

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-19 19:42 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 8:42 pm   Permalink

Bong- Great score on the mosaic. Your living room is superb (score on the interior decorator/wife , as well!). It looks as though you have a custom carving in front of your fireplace. Is that out of metal or wood? Is the fireplace still practical? Where did you find this screen. My generic OSH fireplace screen must be retired for something closer to yours.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 9:09 pm   Permalink

Damn, that is insanely cool. Both the mosaic and the whole living room and kitchen.

What's especially nice is that it's heavily tiki and yet I think it would be appreciated by most "non-tiki" types that come to visit your home. Outstanding.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 9:15 pm   Permalink

Tiki_Bong,

What a score on the mosaic, and that living room is gorgeous ! Are those Kelly prints on the wall above the cabinet ? Very, very nice... my compliments to Madame Bong interior design, too. I'm wondering, does KC have a store that he sells out of ? Both the tapa globes in our backyard and a nice tiki trophy style lamp I bought from him a few years ago were through ebay, so I'm not familiar with a particular location he sells from. I'd like to make a road trip down there one day to check out all these great sources of tiki & Hawaiiana. Thanks for posting those great pics !

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2003-10-19 21:16 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-19 9:52 pm   Permalink

Nice tropical pad to come home to after a hard days' work........i feel refreshed just looking at the pictures......good work Mr. & Mrs. Bong......

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 11:08 pm   Permalink

Tiki_Bong,

Your living room is inspired design. That frame is perfect for an already remarkable mosaic.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-19 11:31 pm   Permalink

Bongster,
When I come down to visit my family in O.C., this Decemeber, I would find it an honor to visit your pad (A pathetic invite on myself). Your home is stylin. Best to ya dude!!

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-10-19 23:32 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 01:04 am   Permalink

I love Bongs house and his wifes collection! You're wun lucky braddah on da Mosiac! can wait to come by again and see'em in person.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 08:32 am   Permalink

Nice Bong. The Bong Museum!

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-20 08:33 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-20 09:44 am   Permalink

Thanks all for the comliments, which should, I guess, go to Madame Bong.

Tikifille - the fire screen is Monkey Pod with carvings of Anthuriums around it. And yes, it's not practical. We don't use our fireplace anyway.

Kono - The Mrs wanted the interior to be more polynesian and not too heavy on Tiki. My tiki bar is in the attached garage and is where most tikis reside.

Puamana - that's Kelly's art on 1940's menus from the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki. KC has been our friend for a number of years and lives in the next town South of us - Newport Beach. He sells some on ebay but more out of his home. He recently sold most all of his vast collection of mugs, bowls, art, furniture. He hated to part with some, but he can always come over and visit.

Unga Bunga - all are welcome in my home. I may be the annoying class clown on the board, but when people are in my home they are ohana.

Aloha

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 11:06 am   Permalink

I am green with envy! Your home looks so cozy and inviting. The mosaic is stunning. I bought a mug from KC on ebay, where does he find such great stuff? Madam Bong has done a beautiful job!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-20 12:58 pm   Permalink

I just remembered this thread about Tiki Mosaics for the newer TC Ohana.... http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2422&forum=5 Here is their site. Cheeky half where are yoooo? http://www.thebigrobot.com/tiki/mosaic.html

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-10-20 13:01 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-20 1:24 pm   Permalink

Mmm, buttaScotch yo! Good fabric cHoice on tHose seats. I think I'm gonna use similar fabric like dat for my door panels on my coche'. You must have good friends who find you that good stuff. All my friends find fo' me is there old hawaiian shirts, which aren't even that old.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation