[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving what makes good tiki art"
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
what makes good tiki art"
fishhead
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-22 01:02 am   Permalink

im interested in your opinions as tiki collectors,what do you look for in a" good "tiki painting is it the feel of the piece ?balance of color"? "true tiki"realism?im always looking to improve my work and i see some work that is not as tight as i like to paint [on other websites].not everybody paints the same but some work looks "too loose" i hope that didnt sound crappy but its just my observationt.thanks for any responses,matt

View Profile of fishhead Send a personal message to fishhead  Email fishhead Goto the website of fishhead     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-22 07:26 am   Permalink

In a perfect world all artists, professional & amateur, would just paint to please themselves. Since I'm an amateur I have that freedom, but professionals have to earn a living.

As a collector who may buy from a professional, here's what I would look for in a tiki painting (of course not everyone has the same taste):

Not an entire rainbow of color in one painting - mainly browns & tans with a few touches of vibrant accent color - or mainly blues with a few vibrant touches (such as August Holland's Pearl of Wisdom). Mainly reds and oranges might be interesting too.

I would be interested in buying a painting that set an exotic, other-worldly mood. I like it better when the mood is set subtly rather than with hundreds of intricate details.

Lastly, as a practical matter, I would have to consider size and shape of the canvas before purchasing. I'm very particular that an object looks like it belongs in the room and belongs exactly where I put it. Are there enough "sofa size" tiki paintings on the market? If not, that might be something to consider.

I have to say that I really like every single painting I've ever seen posted on Tiki Central - I love all the color and detail if I'm "just browsing". But if I were actually going to buy something it would probably have to fit the above descriptions.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-22 09:03 am   Permalink

Very nice suggestions.

Color is what seperates the Artist with a capital "A" from the sidewalk artshow variety. I can't tell you how many times I've seen great composition and technique ruined by horrible color choices.

I do a lot of commercial work (illustrations as well as websites and printed pieces) and one sure-fire way to ensure the piece will look good is to select a limited harmonious color palete from the start. Choose 5 or 6 non-primary base colors and mix and tint them as needed.

Style-wise, the sky's the limit. I like both Shag's work and more realistic work like Leetags. The important thing is to develop a style you like and stick with it. It can take awhile -- it took about 4-5 years for Shag to develop the style he uses now, but its obviously paid off for him.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-22 12:03 pm   Permalink

yeah, it should match your couch.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 08:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-22 12:03, FLOUNDERart wrote:
yeah, it should match your couch.

Decorating is an art unto itself. It would be silly for someone to pass up a great painting they really love just because it doesn't go with the couch. The couch can be made to tie in with the painting with a new slipcover, or easier yet, accent pillows.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 09:29 am   Permalink

i think the couch remark was sarcastic.

i also think that work with a "loose" quality doesn't necessarily prevent it from being good. i may suck, but it's not because of being loose - ever seen leonardo's sketches? loose. also unbelievably good. ::shrug:: it's a question of personal taste in aesthetics.

my two cents.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-26 09:29, Rain wrote:
i think the couch remark was sarcastic.

Yes, I picked up on that. How could I mention something so unsophisticated as "sofa size paintings" in the presence of art? I must have hit my head when I fell off the turnip truck.

Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 11:12 am   Permalink

sorry, kc. pissy mood - shouldnt have brought it onto tc.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 11:49 am   Permalink

I think I know what you mean by "loose". I favor a "tighter" composition usually but sometimes a free and easy sketch really catches my eye.

I think what would make great tiki art is to get any of you painters drunk enough to volunteer to do an impromptu mural on my wall. Only I get to pick the wall. Leo Meiersdorff did a sketch on my folks bathroom wall while he was...er,in there.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fishhead
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:18 pm   Permalink

What I have discovered as an artist is its very difficult for me to paint ''loose" and still get my idea out there.My friend can paint "very tight " it looks perfect then the next one will be very loose and it looks perfect.Who knew?Its nice to know he has the draftsmanship behind the brush.My problem might be learning to paint on the couch with Bob Ross instead of artschool.Thanks for the input,Matt

View Profile of fishhead Send a personal message to fishhead  Email fishhead Goto the website of fishhead     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fishhead
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:21 pm   Permalink

P.S. Rain you rule .I love ur work.matt

fishhead
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:22 pm   Permalink

P.S. Rain you rule .I love ur work.matt

Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:35 pm   Permalink

nothing wrong with bob ross.

have you posted your stuff for us to view, matt?

i think i know what you mean now, too. some painters have a great drafting skill and less technique - some have more technique but less draftsmanship. others have both, some have neither.

art's weird. some of it has indefinable appeal that doesn't seem to fall under the painter's skill level. i don't know what the hell i'm talking about. i'm going back to sleep.

kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-26 11:12, Rain wrote:
sorry, kc

Good heavens, you didn't say anything to be sorry for.

I once tried to commission an artist friend to paint something to match my living room and he was appalled at the very idea. I should have known not to stick my finger in that same light socket again.

If I were lucky enough to have any real talent, I would only consider the taste of the general public if the house payment was late. Otherwise I'd paint whatever I darn well pleased.

Loose, tight, colorful, tonal, realistic, abstract, I like it all. Art makes the world a better place.

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 1:16 pm   Permalink

if you have been drinking blue hawaiians all night, and when you look at the painting it doesnt give you the spins, i think the little slice of paradise is working. that and all paintings should have ernest borgnine in them somewhere.
actually, hate to sound like a cheeseball(no i dont)its in the eye of the beholder. what flys for one, doesnt fly for the other. i am usually unhappy with my paintings, so that the only veiwers are the flys in the dumpster. if you have pleased yourself, than you know where the balance falls.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation