FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving what makes good tiki art"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
what makes good tiki art"
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 1:33 pm   Permalink

You can't second guess how people will react to your work. I'm always amazed at how popular some of the really bad art(to me anyway!) is with other people. Different strokes for different folks.

Create what you love and the customers will follow.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 4:47 pm   Permalink

In stead of buying art that matches the couch we could paint the couch to match the art.

We all know what really makes good art is good marketing and politics.

Fish, paint what you love don't try to paint what you think others want, I went through the same thing and it just doesn't work that way.

Bob Ross is a god, well in Japan at least.

Kctiki, hope I didn't offend you.

Rain, get some sleep.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 6:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: SES on 2004-01-04 22:09 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-26 16:47, FLOUNDERart wrote:

Kctiki, hope I didn't offend you.

No, I'm not offended. I explained some of the factors that go into my decision to buy a painting, knowing my practical concern over where to hang it is irksome to many artists.

If I like something enough to buy it, I want to display it in a way that does it justice.

I would change the couch to go with the painting. Many people spend a lot more on a couch than they would ever consider spending on an original painting. But to me a couch is just something to sit on, I'd rather spend the money on a good painting.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 10:08 pm   Permalink

"I'm always amazed at how popular some of the really bad art(to me anyway!) is with other people. Different strokes for different folks"

Wyland?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-29 03:48 am   Permalink

Im with you RevBambooBen.

I think what really bothers me is people who try to paint reallistic that can't. I think sometimes it's better for them to go a different route which is fine also.

I seen some stuff on ebay that sells like crazy and cant for the life of me figure it out!
Perhaps its just jealousy, the artist worst trait.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-29 04:57 am   Permalink

It's NOT jealousy.

The "art" is really BAD. It's just that those buyers like it... they even LOVE it. There is something for everyone. Please don't lower your standards to try to attract them! Go for the ones that love yours.

Luckily people have diverse taste!

fishhead
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-29 12:02 pm   Permalink

Very good points about "bad"art selling like crazy and making artists like me feel jealous. Im satisfied when people respond to the work that I love to produce.Oh well "Painter of light "I am not,"Painter of fright" Ohhh Ya!

View Profile of fishhead Send a personal message to fishhead  Email fishhead Goto the website of fishhead     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-03 07:40 am   Permalink

Here's another oldie that was at the bottom of the barrel. I think it's worth taken another look at especially with all the new artist hanging out in "Creating Tiki".

Opinions?

www.flounderart.com

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-03 08:06 am   Permalink

Well, art that gets my attention varies. Could be colour, could be what is actually in the picture, medium used etc.

Personally, I make art that I want to. There are still methods i want to play around with. I dont want to hone in on one specific style. I love it when people dig it, but dont mind too much if people dont. I'm having fun either way

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-03 08:08 am   Permalink

Forgot to thank flounder "the topic archaeologist" for uncovering this one.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-03 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-29 03:48, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Im with you RevBambooBen.

I think what really bothers me is people who try to paint reallistic that can't. I think sometimes it's better for them to go a different route which is fine also.

I seen some stuff on ebay that sells like crazy and cant for the life of me figure it out!
Perhaps its just jealousy, the artist worst trait.

My art sucks and im not selling like crazy, so dont be jealous flounder...kirby

And also for those artist who are selling like crazy but seem to have no talent in your book, thats accualy a good thing because who ever is buying ther art, it makes them happy and you cant blame the artist for that.
Quote:

On 2005-07-03 07:40, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Here's another oldie that was at the bottom of the barrel. I think it's worth taken another look at especially with all the new artist hanging out in "Creating Tiki".

Opinions?

My thoughts:
Art is like friendship, your attracted to your
friends becouse they have a certian personality trate that you mix with and enjoy for the most part. Sum people have more friends or are more "popular" becouse they are simply cooler, talentet, richer, or good looking, others are just popular because they have a great pesonality and have the drive to make others happy no matter what it takes.

In my case ,I might not be the most talented artist out there. but i have the drive to be a better artist and try to make people happy no matter what it takes. If you like me cool, If not, there is someone who will.

Flounder your an awsome artist so keep it up...

[ This Message was edited by: kirby on 2005-07-03 13:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kirby on 2005-07-03 13:23 ]

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-04 09:30 am   Permalink

Interesting resurection of a topic Flounder.

Being a collector of tiki paintings more so than mugs (although we have our share), I will offer my perspective.

I agree with Flounder that a lot of what is selling on e-bay is impressive only in the fact that it is selling at all. If I enter "tiki painting" in a search, I will almost never find anything that interests me.

But more credit to those individuals, I am never too happy with my personal tiki paintings, they always end up in some closet, and rarely on the wall. I certainly have not had the balls to post them here, amongst the truly talented artists.

For us, when we purchase paintings, it is a combo of many things, color, mood, style. Bottom line is whether we like it. With all the recent tiki art shows, tiki art books etc, there is a lot of tiki art out there that we like and find interesting, but a much smaller amount that we would actually like to have hanging on the wall. Price plays a role, a painting can be a lot more expensive than a twenty dollar mug, but if I like the painting, then it is generally worth the price. Having something someone created on the wall, means more to me than a mug, especially when you know or are friends with the artist. Each painting on our wall has a special story or meaning, a gift from a friend, frame by another friend, anniversary gift, commission, wedding present, graduation, etc...

I do not think there is a "Tiki Painting Formula" or any "painting formula" for that matter. Paint what you like, your style, and makes you happy. As I look over this post, it is probably useless info for the artists, and did not address the original question.

Just keep painting, everyday I walk around and look at the art in our house and it makes me so happy. It is a powerful gift an artist has to create something from nothing and effect people so strongly. There is a lot of talent here on TC, please do not stop.

And we also like non-tiki art, so Flounder and Kooch-e, keep doing your thing! I am sure we can find a non-tiki corner in the house and get some more of your art on the walls.

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-04 10:18 am   Permalink

I'm just glad I picked up the brush again! Whether people like my artistic approach or not is no matter, because I am on a personal quest. I remember switching majors from fine art to illustration and was called a "sellout" by fellow fine art majors. My point was to learn the techniques in art school and create my fine art for myself and no others. I also declared not to take my art seriously until I had some life experience under my belt. Now, years later, I create art at work to earn a living and my "fine art" is all mine and not influenced by "the market" or trends in taste. And, of course, my favorite subject is tiki! If someone likes a piece then great! If they don't, great too!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-04 1:12 pm   Permalink

Art... I really hate that word. I have a fine art degree and was fooled into thinking that Fine Art was so much better than the commercial world, but when it came down to it... galleries are businesses. A "fine artist" must market the heck out of themselves to survive. The video projections, and ambient noise installations I was doing was just entertainment. Thats all artwork is.. entertainment. If you're painting, you're creating a world for people to visit. If you're sculpting/carving, you're creating an object that comes from that world you create. I use to believe that it was rediculous that people would match a painting to their couch or wall color, (remember Basquiet's movie about him). But then ultimatelly, that is where it ends up.. on the wall, next to the couch. I think artists do amazing things, and am constantly wondering what other artists are up to, but I don't think we're so far above the profession of interior decorating. I believe it was the academic world that boosted their/our own egos about how great artists are. Its just a proffession, or a hobby. Realizing that the fine-art world is just a business, turned me to what I was already doing on the weekends... carve tikis. Oh, and paint the way you want... entertain yourself.. thats what I live by.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation