FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Quality Time with Humu˛ in So Cal: Sat Nov. 8 -- Purple Orchid?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Quality Time with Humu˛ in So Cal: Sat Nov. 8 -- Purple Orchid?
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-23 9:15 pm   Permalink

"Eli Kai"

Hey Doc-Z,

I think you spelled that wrong. According to Sven and James, it's Ely !!! Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-24 1:39 pm   Permalink

Hmmmm... They wouldn't happen to be the same ones who say it's "Bamboo Bens" would they??

(I tell ya, the Rev can't get NO peace!)
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 01:30 am   Permalink

Shall we have a vote? My main criteria is atmosphere and it sounds like Java (Polynesian exterior) and LinBrook (mid-century mod interior) are the most attractive to me. I think Java is the closest to Bong's, no?

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-26 10:39 am   Permalink

Tina, Tina, Floratina,

Yeah, let's do Java then. It is closest and it is Polynesian.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 11:53 am   Permalink

Some of their old ads say:

"Every Friday and Saturday Night from 10pm-1am Rock and Bowl to Live Bands as well as experiencing our Cosmic Light Show all for only $3.25 a game."

Is this still going on?

Do we coordinate a start time to finish before 10pm or should we actually start at 10pm?

Maybe Bongs earlier in evening, then Li's Chinese, then off to Java Lanes? Maybe Ben will have a special sale that day for TC'ers? Maybe we can fly to Hawaii!!(Ha, ok, I'm getting off the mark). Just a suggestion, so whatever you guys plan, I will go with it.

Just my 2 bowling balls worth (Humuhumu took my 2 coconuts on an earlier post and I have yet to get them back).

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-27 09:39 am   Permalink

I'd suggest that whoever wants to go start posting something to that effect. Maybe a Long Beach TC'r can check out Java Lanes, and I'll handle Bong's Tiki Hut and Li's reservations.

Just note if you're: meeting at Java Lanes only, stopping by Bamboo Ben's Shop, Stopping by Bong's Tiki Hut, Li's or any combination therein.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-27 1:20 pm   Permalink

I've started the roll call on the first post. I'm in for Ben's, Bong's, Li's & Bowling. Everyone give a shout & I'll add you.

Taking a stab at the timing: Bong's busy 'til 4, and we'll probably want to start eating by maybe 6:30 or so; Bong, should we meet at your place at 5ish? Ben, should we swing by your shop before that & then parade over to Bong's?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-27 1:45 pm   Permalink

Yeah, my place around 5:00; Li's (if you all want to go) around 6:30. They've remodeled the interior of Li's, It's OK I guess. But most everything is still intact,except the aquariums. Oh well...

Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-27 5:21 pm   Permalink

I'll cruise by Java Lanes tomorrow and get the scoop on Sat nites there, maybe get a a couple preview photos too...

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-27 6:21 pm   Permalink

TraderP,

Can you add a couple of lanes to the West Indies room?

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-27 8:39 pm   Permalink

"They've remodeled the interior of Li's, It's OK I guess."

Bong- You'll be stoked on the re-model. Half of the place is "all bar now!" and is packed all the time!

"Newmu-Humu" (ha! Humu's new Hoiti name name!!?) and the rest of the Hoiti's, if Ya'll wanna come by the store, you's got to contact "Mrs. Boo". It's her store! She handles it (I just build the stuff). I also heard that the store now closes (since the time change, back to the original hours) at Sunset. So, I suggest you all pop by first and for those of you who have not signed the pole, we're running out of room (Can't get Bamboo much bigger than 10" in diam.).

(too bad you's all wern't in Frisco. They got a Shag-ish bowling alley. Ask C'Al and Ape about that one. It's day glow!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 8:02 pm   Permalink

I stopped by Java Lanes today, and they have nothing out of the ordinary going for Saturday night.... ever since the city revoked their entertainment license, they can't even play recorded music there! There's been an ongoing political battle regarding the bowling alley for the past 3 yrs... the city wants to tear it down for a school district vehicle storage yard..!

So, other than the most awesome cantilever A-frame entry & the googie bowling sign (you can see it in the distance in the pic, directly under the A-frame), there's nothing too exciting about the place any more. Even their Java Lounge, one of Long Beach's best band venues, is reduced to karaoke, that has to cease by 9pm.

So, if you're up for it, its good for bowling and gawking at the entry, else if ya want the excitement of Rock-n-Bowl or something like that, we better plan on some place else.

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2003-10-28 20:03 ]

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 8:32 pm   Permalink

Bowling options with Rock-n-Bowl/Cosmic Bowl, reasonably close to Bong's pad:

Fountain Bowl
Fountain Valley
Cosmic Bowl on Sat. nites.... 11pm-2am... $15/person + $4 shoe rental... nice bowling alley with 60 lanes

Westminster Lanes
Westminster
Rock-n-Bowl on Sat. nites.... 10pm-2am... $10.75/person + $2.75 shoe rental... classic 60s bowling alley, 40 lanes, don't know if their cool cheezy cocktail lounge is still there though....

Rossmoor Bowl
Seal Beach
Rock-n-Bowl on Sat nites.... 9:30pm-2am... $29.99/lane 1hr, $49.99/lane 2hrs, $54.99/lane 3hrs, $64.99/lane all 4 hours... another classic 60s bowling alley, 40 lanes, and conveniently located next to the Parasol restaurant, a real treat if you've never been....

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-29 09:10 am   Permalink

TraderP,

Good scouting. Rossmore Bowl sounds cool. Can you see about reservations and I'll take care of Bong's and Li's.

Doesn't seem to be much interest yet though. We'll see what develops.

thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-29 6:00 pm   Permalink

I just want to know if Bong is going?
Then I will tell you if I am going.
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation