FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food okolehao, anyone got a lead,1/5/05- article on new production of the spirit pg 2
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
okolehao, anyone got a lead,1/5/05- article on new production of the spirit pg 2
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 12:24 am   Permalink

i did do the TC footwork, and was not able to find a thread about this spirit. if there was one, i apologize for the redundancy.
being an irish and blended whiskey fan, i instantly fell in love with okolehao. i have been given two samplings of it, and can not find it. mike sr. at tiki ti said that it was actually produced in california, but was only available in hawaii. i did some research, but was not able to track down the manufacturer here. i have also been told that it was recently discontinued, but that they still produce the liqueur. the liqueur tastes nothing like the spirit, being a sweet version with the root flavor almost completely removed.
i thought i would put it up to TC, see if the international community knows a source, or at least an old liquor store that may have backstock. not having a lot of hope, but it is worth a try.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 14:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 17:52 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 12:50 am   Permalink

A couple of years ago I was walking around Waikiki looking for some oke. No one had even heard of the stuff. A year later I picked this up at a specialty liquor store. Oke is a distilate of the root of the Ti plant, this liquer is made from whiskey and the Ti plant. I have seen cool Okolehao decanters on Ebay. They look like Hula girls and King Kamehameha. Sometimes they are unopened, I have yet to buy one. Hey try the search engine again, (sp Okolehao). I found this article and a few other mentions of this spirit.

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=777&forum=1

Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2003-10-25 00:51 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 12:57 am   Permalink

thanks al,
typed the search in TC, but nothing had come up as a thread, let me know how you found it. will continue the search for this spirit, its worth it.
p.s. does that store in oceanside still carry the liqueur?

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2003-10-25 00:58 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 01:10 am   Permalink

I got this bottle in Waikiki. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Whaler's Rum supposedly distributes it. Oh, you spelled Okolehao wrong in the search.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 01:18 am   Permalink

al,
spelled it right, but no points for this loooser because i have been doing searches in in the wrong search box. told you i was not a computer type. three triple dirty martinis (with a squirt of pepperoncini infused vinegar) has not been helping the research skills this evenin.

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! #4

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2003-10-25 01:49 ]

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 02:07 am   Permalink

I was digging around and came up with this interesting link:
http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/harryyee.html
For sale but not in English:
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:SNrWfjyuitcJ:www.curio-city.com/alohagift/7047/55711.html%20%20%22Okolehao%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Also, kept getting referred to bishopbrands.com but the site is not up yet.
And this cake recipe sounds kind of hot!
http://homepage.mac.com/billgreene1/cgreene/GrammarExamB.html

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 02:13 am   Permalink

ses,
thanks, thats great stuff. the bottle shown in the one link is blurry, but i think that ti is also the liqueur. if i can find a bottle of the spirit, im doin some cookin.

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 02:36 am   Permalink

Could ask your local specialty liquor store if they could get it for you if you can't find it anywhere else.
Maybe they might supply a good reason why it's scarce too if they can't get it.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 02:40 am   Permalink

hey ses,
tried vendome, a large and fairly knowledgeable liquor and brew joint, but they had not heard of it. will keep searching.(been nagging them about carrying sebor brand absinthe, legal in the states because the alcohol content is lower, but the thujon count is higher)

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 10:34 am   Permalink

Yes, someone needs to make Beachbum Barry stop putting these ingredients in his recipes that you cannot find! Or he could get with some folks and come out with Barry's Own of these things that we can all order from!

This is alspice berry time. If you are gonna find it, I bet they are around now to make that pimento liquor!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 10:34 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: swanky on 2003-10-25 19:33 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 5:05 pm   Permalink

You all should try to see the 1937 Bing Crosby Film "Waikiki Wedding". Marytha Raye does a number called "Okolehao". Bing also sings "Blue Hawaii", "Sweet Leilani" and In a Little Hula Heaven",

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 10:41 pm   Permalink

Dagnabbit!!!
Someone was selling a bottle of the stuff on eBaby just last week in the cute little "Topless Hula Decanter." I let it slip by and it sold for, I believe, around $14.00. I'll know better next time.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 11:55 pm   Permalink

Traitor Vic,
that would have been worth it. it sounds like the spirit version is long gone, and the liqueur is definitely a different beast.
my only hope lies in finding a treasure in an old liquor store, a few dust covered bottles that the owner had forgotten about. if anyone has the opportunity to try okolehua, meaning the full strength spirit, go for it. the search continues.....

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:10 am   Permalink

I have the okolehao hula girl decanter. I bought it empty, but the cork on it was pretty cruddy -- I can't imagine that those decanters did a very good job of keeping their contents in good shape. Worth tryin' if you see it again, tho -- I think $14 is a not-terrible price just for the decanter.

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-10-26 00:12 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation