FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » okolehao, anyone got a lead,1/5/05- article on new production of the spirit pg 2
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
okolehao, anyone got a lead,1/5/05- article on new production of the spirit pg 2
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 07:21 am   Permalink

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Jun/01/ln/ln05a.html

I posted this a couple months back, but no word yet on how close it is to being attainable.

If I remember correctly - it's the same people that did the "liquer."

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 09:41 am   Permalink

Gecko ought to be able to find a moonshine still in Hawaii that is still making the stuff the old fashioned way. Just a few bottles for the old timers...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-26 10:17 am   Permalink

I read the article Pablus referred to, and a Google search turned up this link:

http://www.sandwichislandsdistilling.com/

Just a placeholder now, but it does say "Bringing Okolehao Back to the World" and has a email contact.

I have sent an email, and will post any replies I recieve.

[ This Message was edited by: makemake on 2003-10-26 10:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: makemake on 2003-10-26 10:33 ]

View Profile of makemake Send a personal message to makemake      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 8:02 pm   Permalink

bless you makemake, please keep us informed. when it comes out, maybe we can get a group order together.
i didnt even think to discuss it with jeff berry, i run into him occasionally. ill ask if he has a source.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 2:45 pm   Permalink

Just found this article at spiritofaloha.com, some of the same info in the article link above but this has some dates for release:

Other good drinking news this issue comes from our far-flung correspondent Phil Hayworth, who reports that a former president of the company that owns Jack Daniels will commercially produce the famed, potent Hawaiian beverage called 'okolehau (pronounced oko-lay-how) and sell it only in Hawai'i. According to Steven Thompson, president of Sandwich Islands Distilling, the first 5,000 cases of this drink, which was once outlawed as a bane to society, will roll off a temporary bottling line at an old sugar mill in Pa'ia in April 2005. By April 2006, the distillery plans to open a permanent plant and showroom near Kïhei and distribute to the Mainland. According to Hayworth, who is a connoisseur of the famed beverage, 'okolehau is a clear, smooth rum or brandylike whisky, which gets its base flavor from the local ki plant. Its potency depends on how much sugar cane and/or rice is added. The new drink will come in 80- and 140-proof versions, aged in used bourbon barrels. "The formula will be the original, but our 'okolehao will also be filtered through a secret filtering medium available only in Hawai'i," says Thompson. 'Okolehao, by the way, means "iron bottom," after the vats in which it was originally made, which were intended for boiling whale blubber. Here's to ya.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 14:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 14:48 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 5:35 pm   Permalink

That's great news. I've been wanting to try okolehao ever since I got Grog Log and Intoxica. I actually do have the King Kamehameha decanter sealed. But I haven't wanted to open it because a) it's such a small amount (1/8 pint) that you'd hardly get to taste it and it'd be gone and b) who knows how well it aged in that decanter. A few years ago someone gave me a bottle of 25 or 30yo Jim Beam. The bourbon wasn't aged in a barrel that long, this guy just had a case of this old bourbon sitting in his house. It really did not taste very good at all. Yeah, I drank it but it was really harsh had almost a pure grain taste to it.

I'd love to get some newly distilled old style okolehao. Of course I'll have to mail order it from California. Guaranteed it won't be available in Florida.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 6:12 pm   Permalink

This is great news. Now I'm even more excited to be returning to Hawaii in 2006!

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 7:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-25 00:50, Alnshely wrote:
A couple of years ago I was walking around Waikiki looking for some oke. No one had even heard of the stuff. A year later I picked this up at a specialty liquor store.

Internetwines.com used to carry this same brand of Oke - I just got mine from them over the summer. They still have it listed on their
website, but I can't tell if it's still available. I think it was about $25.00 plus shipping from Illinois for a 750ml bottle.

According to the label, it is:
"prepared and bottled for Hawaiian Distillers Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii by Hawaiian Distilled Products Co., Mira Loma, California"
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 7:34 pm   Permalink

Doctor Z,
That is a bootle of the liqueur which is quite different from the spirit. The flavors are not even close; the spirit goes down like a smooth rye and the liqueur is sweet, almost herbal tasting, like a very sweet chartreuse. It has been at least three years since I drank either, but this is what i recall from a side by side taste test.
The spirit is a real treat, definitely having it own flavor. If you like whiskey you will definitely appreciate the spirit.

Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 9:16 pm   Permalink

Ahhhh... I see... thanks for the enlightenment!

I've been using the 'liqueur' all along in the 2 "Intoxica" recipes that call for it and they still taste fine to me! I do find it kind of unusual that Jeff Barry would suggest using either brandy or Martinique rum as a substitute for something that tastes like whiskey...

I actually do have a small ('Less than 1/2 pint') unopened bottle of real Okolehao (80 proof - "Produced & Bottled by Hawaiian Distillers, Honolulu, HI"), but I'm reluctant to break the seal on it, 'cause I think it's kinda old and I bought it for the bottle. Besides, if it's anything like the way you describe it, I'm afraid I might like it too much and it would all be gone after a drink or two and then where would I be?

BTW - I did a taste test with chartreuse (both green & yellow - straight, blecch!) and good rye (Old Portrero), and while I agree it does definitely have sweet/herbal undertones, I think the oke 'liqueur' more closely resembles the rye than either of the Chartreuses. But then again, I'm not a big fan of chartreuse, and I looooove rye!

I wonder how actual okelehao would taste in a Sazerac?
Hmmm...
Maybe I will open that little bottle after all...

Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 9:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-05 19:02, Doctor Z wrote:

Internetwines.com used to carry this same brand of Oke - I just got mine from them over the summer. ...but I can't tell if it's still available.

Nope. I'll save ya the trouble of emailing them. Oke liqueur is no more as far as they tell me. They said it was being "reformulated" and had no further info.

This was three months ago.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 10:22 am   Permalink

Here is a past thread with a classic recipe book from Trader Pup.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5472&forum=1

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 4:27 pm   Permalink

Here is a more recent article. here

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-01-07 9:36 pm   Permalink

Old Portrero: Good taste as always, Dr. Z

Come on up to SF and we'll do the Anchor Brewery Tour, and you can talk to them more about Old Portrero.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 1:21 pm   Permalink

Hiya Kids:

Good News! As you know, LeVecke Corporation produced a version of Okolehao, for a period of time, in their facilities in southern California.  I finished my last bottle over the week-end. I spoke to the operations Manager of Sandwich Islands Distilling Corporation, Bob Gunter, about the NEW okolehao and will keep everyone in the loop as to its' launch.

Sandwich Islands Distilling Corporation has established a distillery in Maui and will re-introduce, what we believe to be an authentic formulation of Okoleaho, to the in early fall of this year. They also have plans to produce other high-proof spirits made from indigenous Hawaiian products, including RUM.  They have a distributor for Okolehao in Hawaii, but have not yet firmed-up any distribution agreements for the U.S. mainland.

I am working on helping to secure Distribution channels for the REAL Oke, so stay tuned.

Sandwich Islands
Distilling Corporation
Pa'ia, Maui, Hawaii

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-16 13:22 ]

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation