FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-13 02:14 am   Permalink

^^ Glad you liked the dressing. I guess you and you guests are the first (besides our family) to try that recipe in over 40 years!

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-14 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-11 21:23, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-11 21:20, Unga Bunga wrote:

God , I'm glad I asked so long ago.
If I could go back in time, the Kapu Kai would be on my list.

Hear Here !

Roll a few games, dinner, cocktails..a perfect night out !

Imagine a "lodge night" type of event here with the Tikiyaki Orchestra!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-14 08:20 am   Permalink

Man, THAT would be amazing !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-14 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-06 11:23, tikiyaki wrote:
I think I've seen...and a bowling alley too....don't even get me started on Mid Century Bowling culture.....geez...

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-01-06 11:25 ]

I wonder if you know of any place where we might find more information about the place from the Bowling angle? I've contacted the "descendant' of the ABC Sanctioning body, (United States Bowling Congress) and they replied that have nave no records earlier than the 80's. Anybody know of a "defunctbowling.com" site somewhere?

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-14 9:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-14 19:20, kapu_kai_son wrote:
Quote:

I think I've seen...and a bowling alley too....don't even get me started on Mid Century Bowling culture.....geez...

I wonder if you know of any place where we might find more information about the place from the Bowling angle? I've contacted the "descendant' of the ABC Sanctioning body, (United States Bowling Congress) and they replied that have nave no records earlier than the 80's. Anybody know of a "defunctbowling.com" site somewhere?

The only other thing I could think of in that regard is contacting either AMF or Brunswick, whomever outfitted the Kapu Kai with Bowling machinery and pins....judging by the 2 stripes on the pins and the displays above the pinsetters, it looks like AMF. Perhaps they have pictures or records. They MAY have something....but it's so long ago.

Also, the architectural firm who designed and built it...and then there is the Public Library of Cucamonga....They probably have some newspaper articles about the flood on Microfilm, as well as newspaper ads and articles on the place.

Other than that, I don't know. Perhaps your mom has more info ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 01:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-14 21:14, tikiyaki wrote:
judging by the 2 stripes on the pinwould be a trophy.s and the displays above the pinsetters, it looks like AMF.

Who is the guy that paints Tikis on old bowling pins?
One of those Kapu pins would be a great trophy.
(a very sad picture by the way)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-15 02:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-14 21:14, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-14 19:20, kapu_kai_son wrote:
Quote:

...Perhaps they have pictures or records. They MAY have something....but it's so long ago.

Also, the architectural firm who designed and built it...and then there is the Public Library of Cucamonga....They probably have some newspaper articles about the flood on Microfilm, as well as newspaper ads and articles on the place.

Other than that, I don't know. Perhaps your mom has more info ?

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my mom is tapped out. She went through her old boxes but didn't find anything new. I will be writing to the architects, and have found some newspapers online (pay only) that I will source soon. Other than the somewhat nebulous Route 66 connection, that's mostly all I can think of. Thanks for the thoughts, you guys are great!

kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-15 12:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha, I wanted to check back in. We're going to be in Cucamonga/LA from April 22 through the 28th. I'm going to be conducting interviews with people that have stories to tell about the Kapu Kai. (including many who have posted here) Hopefully, I can come up with an interesting (home brew) documentary about the place. If you still live in the area and have stories or photos of the Kapu Kai, or the flood damage in general please DM me. We are keeping our schedule loose with time between interviews so we can add a few more people (we appear to have the most extra time on Sunday the 25th.) That's all for now and thanks to all here at Tiki Central for the inspiration!

Dancingcat

Posted: 2010-04-30 11:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone,

Colin & I just returned from our "trip back in time" to Cucamonga to film his mini-doc on the demise of the bowling alley, restaurant, coffee shop known as Kapu Kai. We enjoyed meeting, talking and filming some of the Tiki Central fans - specifically, Sven, Bosko, Bob, Le Roy, John, & Jeffery. Everyone was so helpful in recollecting and adding to the knowledge of the Kai and the subsequent flooding and preserving some of the artifacts. We also were fortunate in contacting Kelly at the Ontario Library; Linda Frost & Joe Filippi who lived in the area. We took many stills and videos and will see if Colin has enough to make his mini -documentary. Mahalo to all participants for your time and supportive help!

View Profile of Dancingcat Send a personal message to Dancingcat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:18 am   Permalink

Wow, I missed these last few posts. That is very exciting news !

kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-01 11:36 pm   Permalink

Yes, I'd like to add my thanks as well. Everybody's generosity and kindness has been overwhelming. I have a feeling that im not done begging for pictures Of the Kapu Kai (pre-flood) but I think we're off to a good start. Hopefully with time, others will see this thread and have a picture or two to share. Mahalo to all!

Devlin Thompson

Posted: 2013-04-01 7:44 pm   Permalink

Here's a better copy of that architect's rendering (by TALLEY-GUEVARA) that I found today in South Carolina:

Kapu-Kai Restaurant, Cucamonga, CA by Devlin Thompson, on Flickr

View Profile of Devlin Thompson Send a personal message to Devlin Thompson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 06:26 am   Permalink

Nice, much better than than the high contrast copy that I had found on a brochure. I used it in a collage I made for the invite card to the very first Tiki Oasis in 2001:

Did you find the original rendering? It would be great if Kapu Kai Son could use it for his family documentary project, it is finally getting finished and looking real good!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 09:42 am   Permalink

Oh wow. That's gorgeous. Thanks for bumping the thread.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 1:29 pm   Permalink

Does any urban tiki archeologist out there know of any other tiki establishments with the word "kapu" in its name and the fate of the edifice? For example Kapu-Ahi (forbidden fire)that burned down. The irony kills me that Kapu-kai was ended by water even though it was freshwater (wai). I'm not superstitious or anything but the word "kapu" and its sister Polynesian derivatives tapu, or tabu (taboo in English)is a strong word, meaning as most of us know, sacred or forbidden. Curses were associated with this word. Just wondering not implying anything. The word "Taboo" in Polynesian Pop, I know is used commonly but using this version of the word seems to be safer. No tabu with "taboo". Again just wondering. Not intending to offend anyone in this interesting but sad thread. Obviously there were many other tiki buildings with the same misfortune without Kapu, tapu or tabu in their names. I guess I do sound a little superstitious . I have a feeling posting this will be a curse.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation