FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-16 2:27 pm   Permalink

Been awhile, but I wanted to revisit everyone here to share our finished video. As with many video projects, it had several 'ups and downs' but the finished video is something I'm pleased with.

http://www.satoauto.com/odds-and-ends/2013/9/5/the-kapu-kai.html

I'd like to thank Sven, Bosko, Jeff and everyone else who donated their time to help with this story. -Colin

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 5:58 pm   Permalink

Very interesting video. Very well done.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-16 8:05 pm   Permalink

Really enjoyed the video. It's a great introductory to the world of tiki. It would be a good piece to show to people who are not "in the know".

It must have been quite the experience investigating this chapter of your family's history. Congrats on creating this.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 8:15 pm   Permalink

Great doc. Thanks for doing it, and sharing with us.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 8:31 pm   Permalink

The things I love about this video are that it gives Tiki a human face by showing how it related to the lives of an American family. Also that it talks about the early early Tiki revival activities of us few nerds out there. But most of all that it makes the aspect of urban archeology comprehensible. Very few of the Tiki docus out there have touched on that, and the fact that this kind of intelligence gathering was the basis for all the partying and drinking that ensued since then.

Colin, I really dig the slideshow below, your folks must have felt like the coolest kids on the block back then

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 8:37 pm   Permalink

This film is also a great example of how Tiki Central can function as a gathering place of information about lost Tiki palaces. If you go back to page 1, you can see how this documentary is a direct result of the united postings on this thread.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 8:49 pm   Permalink

This thread yes!!!!

Facebook, no!

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 10:59 pm   Permalink

Most amazing! Mahaloz to all

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 12:20 pm   Permalink

Amazing Documentary! I live literally a few blocks from where the Kapu Kai used to be (sadly, its now an Albertsons) Across the street, parts of the Thomas Winery still exist as a restaurant and coffee bar.

Bravo on this labor of love! I found myself wanting to hear more stories from the Kapu Kai when it was running, and less about the aftermath Discovery.

On a side note, I have been searching for one of the Kapu Kai bucket mugs for years. Every time I'm in a junktique, antique store, I plow through all the Harvey's bucket mugs hoping to discover that hidden Kapu Kai.

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 12:55 pm   Permalink

I really enjoyed that video!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 1:22 pm   Permalink

WOW!
Excellent job Colin. A++
Thanks for doing that.
Your parents looked like they were a pretty hipped couple back in the day.

Long live the memory of the Kapu Kai!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 3:21 pm   Permalink

Kudos on an excellent documentary Colin! I wish I could have seen it in it's full glory, especially considering I grew up in the Inland Empire.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SBJiminyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-17 4:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting this Colin!
Great job on the documentary. Like Sven said, the way you edited it, did a nice job of explaining the concept of urban archaeology.

Aloha

View Profile of SBJiminyC Send a personal message to SBJiminyC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-17 10:41 pm   Permalink

Wow! How fantastic and nice to see it all come full circle. My hat goes off to the original pioneers of Tiki Central and their Urban Archaeological explorations. Nice to see it all pay off.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-18 01:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-17 12:20, chrisandsarahb wrote:
I found myself wanting to hear more stories from the Kapu Kai when it was running, and less about the aftermath Discovery.

I do expect this comment, especially here. However, although we set out to talk more about the place in operation, the reality is that there are few left who actually remember it firsthand. I suppose that Murphy's Law will have everyone come out of the woodwork now, but at the time we were making this, there were few people available to talk to about it.

BUT, thank you for taking the time to watch a ~30 minute film! And thanks for all the kind words from everyone else here. There were so many people to thank for their assistance that it's hard to know where to start!

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation