FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-18 04:55 am   Permalink

I absolutely loved it. I was rivetted for the entire film. Many thanks to all those who helped to make this.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-18 10:10 pm   Permalink

Just spent a pleasant evening enjoying this incredible documentary and the slideshow on the website (with accompanying mai tais) ... so informative and moving!

It would be great if this could be screened at an event like Tiki Oasis, such a wealth of information that can be dispersed among the tiki people!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-30 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-18 22:10, tobunga wrote:
Just spent a pleasant evening enjoying this incredible documentary and the slideshow on the website (with accompanying mai tais) ... so informative and moving!

It would be great if this could be screened at an event like Tiki Oasis, such a wealth of information that can be dispersed among the tiki people!

That would probably be fun, but I'm guessing that by the time the next Tiki Oasis rolls around, everyone who wants to see it will have done so. However, I'm not opposed to it if there is still interest.

Quote:

On 2013-10-16 20:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
The things I love about this video are that it gives Tiki a human face by showing how it related to the lives of an American family. Also that it talks about the early early Tiki revival activities of us few nerds out there. But most of all that it makes the aspect of urban archeology comprehensible. Very few of the Tiki docus out there have touched on that, and the fact that this kind of intelligence gathering was the basis for all the partying and drinking that ensued since then.

Colin, I really dig the slideshow below, your folks must have felt like the coolest kids on the block back then

Thanks Sven! Actually, the women in the yellow sweater is my dads sister. This is my mom and dad back in the day:

I was hoping to get my aunt to talk about it but she simply doesn't recall much and/or is not happy to discuss it.

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-30 3:00 pm   Permalink

WONDERFUL!!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-30 10:43 pm   Permalink

Bravo, bravo!!! I am so happy you took the time to do such a wonderful job on this film. Like "the Tikis", the Kapu Kai is just one of those places that I have been mesmerized by and curious about even though I never had the chance to experience it in person.

A few questions, do you have any idea why your Father was reluctant to speak about the Kapu Kai as you were growing up? You also mentioned your Aunt was also no happy to speak about it. What do you think the reasons would be for this? Maybe the flood was just too painful to talk about?

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-03 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-30 22:43, Chub wrote:
A few questions, do you have any idea why your Father was reluctant to speak about the Kapu Kai as you were growing up? You also mentioned your Aunt was also no happy to speak about it. What do you think the reasons would be for this? Maybe the flood was just too painful to talk about?

They are not the only ones involved that want to 'forget' it ever happened. I discovered the children of (one) of my dad's partners and his surviving wife. After some correspondence, they felt it was too painful to dredge up old memories. The lost their home as well, but being older than my parents, I'm sure it was more financially difficult to recover. It truly was a life altering event for our respective families, something that must be difficult to describe today if you didn't live through it.

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-24 09:35 am   Permalink

Great film; I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

Kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai

Posted: 2013-12-13 11:53 pm   Permalink

This is one of the gems in my collection. Found it at a flea market about 7 years ago. I sure wish I had gone to the Kapu Kai.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KapuKid

Posted: 2014-04-29 12:07 am   Permalink

I altered this postcard to add a reference to Roller City, a local hangout in the 70's.
I took a walk with my mom to the Kapu-Kai after the flood destroyed it, you could see
inside the bowling alley, mud everywhere. What a shame it was torn down. Such
beautiful architecture!

View Profile of KapuKid Send a personal message to KapuKid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai

Posted: 2014-04-29 12:21 am   Permalink

Hi Kapu Kid, are you related to the family?

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-29 8:32 pm   Permalink

Yup!! I watched the video numerous times. It truly is a great documentary. Plus you get a insider on the O.G's who started the Tiki revival. Colin Sato did a great job.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KapuKid

Posted: 2014-05-14 04:43 am   Permalink

coming soon to a t-shirt near you, painstakingly retraced from a match book scan!

View Profile of KapuKid Send a personal message to KapuKid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-14 10:36 pm   Permalink

Colin,
Glad this thread re-surfaced. I had not seen the documentary. Very nice job. I'm curious to know if your family had a background in restaurant management or an association with the hotels in Hawaii before coming to California and opening the Kapu-Kai. Do you know what inspired such a grand vision and their ability to turn it into reality?
Mahalo.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-04 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-14 22:36, Kailuageoff wrote:
Colin,
Glad this thread re-surfaced. I had not seen the documentary. Very nice job. I'm curious to know if your family had a background in restaurant management or an association with the hotels in Hawaii before coming to California and opening the Kapu-Kai. Do you know what inspired such a grand vision and their ability to turn it into reality?
Mahalo.

Not really, my Dad had managed bowling alleys both in HI and in LA. I guess when they bought the Kai, he had sufficient experience to run it. Note, my dad and partners did not create it, they bought it after it was already up.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 5:06 pm   Permalink

Wow, I didn't know: There was a previous owner? Or owners? Does your mom rememeber anything bout that? That place couldn't have been erected on spec...

Colin, here are pages 294 and 295 of the catalog for my Tiki exhibit in Paris, opening the end of the month:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation