FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tikini Apartments, Seattle, WA (apartments)
Tikini Apartments, Seattle, WA (apartments)
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 10:22 pm   Permalink

Name:Tikini Apartments
Type:apartments
Street:2626 Thorndyke Ave W
City:Seattle
State:WA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
A small three story 1960's apartment building. The building is rectangular with a wall of white rock running down the middle of it (which is an enclosed stairway), a carved wood panel (painted off white) runs the length of the rock and down the center of the front door. TIKINI is spelled out with large wood letters in a Tiki style font (obscurred by a stand of ginko trees) to the left of the central stair enclosure. Small (12-16") rustic Tiki faces (somewhat Witco like), also painted off white, adorn the the upper face of the building and roof covering the front entry. The door and its carved panel appears to have been dark wood once, the carved panel by the white rock and Tikis may have been dark wood once as well.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt on 2003-10-26 22:30 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 10:27 pm   Permalink

The Tikini apartments was a nice little surprise but isn't worth a trip unless you're already in the neighborhood (Thorndyke Avenue is in the lower Magnolia area of Seattle). Unfortunately some large (but attractive) trees obscure the apartment's lines and its neat logo.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 9:03 pm   Permalink

I just passed by the Tikini Apartments last week, and went back this afternoon with my camera to get some pics :

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 10:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting those pix. This is really great. Thanks.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-03-28 09:53 am   Permalink

I second the thanks. Those are really unique.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 10:03 am   Permalink

Really neat! Thanks Puamana!

On Saturday we drove past an apartment with huge gas torches way up high, that was cool. Though I didn't see any other hints of poly pop.

I wonder how it would look if the tiki elements were in a more contrasting colour, like a really dark brown?

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 03:37 am   Permalink

Apartments with gas torches in Seattle?? Where? I must go see that!

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 3:34 pm   Permalink

Sounds like the condos located next to the onramp to I-5 at Mercer Street. I just noticed they had Tiki torches on their balconies. Nothing else remarkable about the building so I wouldn't bother looking. Now there is an apartment building in the north end of Seattle somewhere called the Tiki Apartments. Don't know anything about it though.

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 03:37, TorchGuy wrote:
Apartments with gas torches in Seattle?? Where? I must go see that!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 11:10 pm   Permalink

Dang, I completely missed this thread back when, I could have shown an example of apartment Witco in Tiki Mod! Thanks for digging it up, Torchy!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation