FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events F-Least coast Nov. 8th/Intro to Hawaiian Inn
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
F-Least coast Nov. 8th/Intro to Hawaiian Inn
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-30 10:08 pm   Permalink

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Now I'm alienating even the Atlantic Floridians. Is there no end to my sanctions?

Thought I'd edit the header on this one since the tambre changed. Shiny new post ahead.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm envious reading about all the fun and frivolity of The Californians.

Is there any interest here from the Fla/Ga crew in a night at the Hawaiian Inn in early-mid December?

My personal plan is to ride over to the Space Coast - enjoy the Inn, mosey on down to "you know where" in Ft. Lauderdale the next day and then down to the Keys for a few dive days.

Should we make it Mai Kai instead?
Both?

The Amber Love Goddess assures me that it's nerd's folly that will be roundly ignored. I threw an empty bottle of rum at her and yelled "Arrrrr!"

Ow. She just hit me. Call a medic.

So? How about it?

[ This Message was edited by: pablus on 2003-11-03 21:13 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-31 9:52 pm   Permalink

I think it's a great idea. Late January or February would be better for me. Of course, if it's just you and me it would be a bit weak. Or maybe not. We could just get drunk on fruity rum drinks and go to the Salvation Army, watch "Donovan's Reef" and use rusty machetes to hack wildly at some innocent tree stumps trying to "free the Moai inside."

Naaahh...your idea is better. I like it!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 07:59 am   Permalink

<<<...use rusty machetes to hack wildly at some innocent tree stumps trying to "free the Moai inside." >>>

Hey, you stole my carving style.

AFTER the new year would be better? I'm usually broke for about a month then.

I'm a consensus kinda guy though, so if/when others post in we'll get a read.

Looking forward to meeting you.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 09:14 am   Permalink

My wife and I are up for it as long as we have enough advance notice and can get the grandparents over to babysit.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 2:31 pm   Permalink

Count me in for Daytona..(we must include Julian's). Saturday nights are best!

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 2:37 pm   Permalink

I'm sure me and the wife could make it with enough notice. I havn't been there and was curious about it (Hawaiian Inn).

Somebody give me a rating 1-10?

I like you am tired of hearing about California Tiki fun. I say its time for an... "EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL"!

You should put this on the Main Discussion Area as well, I'm sure we can get more people.

www.flounderart.com

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-11-01 14:42 ]

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 3:05 pm   Permalink

Here's my ratings:
Witco: 8 (used to be 10 until I saw Hala Kahiki)
show: 1 (has potential, but they need the services of an objective professional to improve and tighten up the presentation; then they could be a 5 [since Mai Kai is a solid 10])
Drinks: 1.5
Food: -.5 yuk!
However........Hawaiian Inn is a MUST SEE because it is a living remnant of tiki from yesteryear. It's a matter of time when the wonderful cheezy historic motels in Daytona will be demolished. Experience them while you can even if they aren't a 10.
I grew up in the Cocoa Beach area and saw ALL the space coast googie, atomic, and tiki glory be systematically destroyed
during the 70's and 80's. Once its gone--its gone. So my motto is to cherish what still stands.

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 4:00 pm   Permalink

I am currently planning a New Years week trip to Florida with my daughter. I think BK has plans to be down there around then too. I have nothing finalized for the trip, just the time off from work. So I would join any activity in that time. New Years Eve at the Mai Kai sounds good to me.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 5:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tiki Bree.

I'll definitly check out the Hawaiian Inn.
The Witco alone sounds worth it.

Riddle me this. What are some of the places that existed in the Cocoa Beach area back in the day? Just curious.

I think we may just get a nice turn out for this.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-01 11:23 pm   Permalink

Well, we got Saturday down. That's probably a great time for most.
Let's think about Sat. dates in Dec./Jan for a Daytona (and area) Tiki Revival... and also a New Year's Eve at the Mai Kai.

What a fantastic idea.

I never even thought of that, but darned if Champagne Cocktails, Jet Pilots and PuPu just don't sound all "gee-willikers".

---My FLA redneck/transient jargon provided by T(iki)-Mobile. Get More (possum).---

We could probably lure a couple of unsuspecting Californicators over here for New Years and have a good gator-feedin. *winkwink*

[ This Message was edited by: pablus on 2003-11-02 08:06 ]

divychic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-02 08:26 am   Permalink

If the date works for me I'm in. I have some family junctions to hit thru Dec-Jan. but will do my best since I miss out on the big one!

View Profile of divychic Send a personal message to divychic  Email divychic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-02 11:58 am   Permalink

I was thinking of going to FLA this winter because I missed the Hukilau and I haven't been to the Mai Kai for 2 years (and I miss it!). The last time i was in Daytona Beach the Hawaiian Inn show cast was on vacation so I would like to see it. I need to book my flight on Southwest by mid November to get a RT for $200 (but I can't fly on this rate during the holidays so New Years may be not good for me).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-02 6:52 pm   Permalink

Hey all- I live in Melbourne Beach along the A1A (coastal road)

I've been collecting tiki mugs/stuff for ten years and have amassed a pretty big collection if I say so myself- I rarely get the chance to show it to other tiki folks however. Some highlights include alot of Witco pieces, and many, many rare mugs, such as the Severed Bloody Head and the complete Westwood Dinnerware set (in the box of course)

If you all are going to be driving from Daytona down to Ft. Laud, I'd be happy to open the doors of the tiki vault and offer up a stop at House of Tiki, Melbourne Beach.

The wife and I would also probably be interested in hitting up the Mai Kai as well. Its been years since we have been to any tiki events- last one i can remember was a party at bosko's place back in like 97 or something

Anyway, I have actually been compiling photos of all the tiki elements in my area- Melbourne Beach is very tikified- in fact there's practically a tiki everywhere you look. Also, the surf is good for any surfers wishing to paddleout, etc etc

Anyhow there's my 2 cents

Space Coast Tiki Hunt pics are on the way.. for now here are a few shots of the backyard tiki lagoon:

http://www.tiki-shirts.com/gallery/house6-10-03?&page=1

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-02 8:10 pm   Permalink

Marian and I have gotten to be friends with Wayne and Teauila who perform and manage the luau show at the Hawaiian Inn. (Wayne has my Book of Tiki right now and I need to get it from him.) Some people dog the Hawaiian Inn because it is not the Mai-Kai, but we could care less. I've been visiting tiki places all over the U.S. -- including the Hawaiian Inn -- since before their was a Tiki News, Shag, a Book of Tiki, Tiki Farm or any of the other worthwhile revival stuff -- and the Hawaiian Inn is about as authentic as it gets. It also has honest to God charm if your open-minded enough to get it. Their show is a family operation in the same way as the Mai-Kai, however, the Hawaiian Inn has never been (or pretends to be) a multi-million dollar operation. It is a tiki tourist hotel with a Hawaiian show and luau in Daytona Beach, Fla. supporting a family of entertainers. They don't make alot of money, but the show doesn't cost a fortune either. Also, I happen to like the food. And Dave and Frank who tend the bars are great guys to drink with even if they are between mug suppliers right now.
Basically, we go there alot for drinks, dinner, to swim or just to hang out. We used to go for the Witco tiki, but now we go as much just to see our friends.
Unlike some of us recent tiki converts (or as Wayne Coombs - another 30 year vet in the business likes to say, "you freaky tiki people"), they have been performing in and have managed Polynesian shows since they were in their teens and have now survived 30 years in a very tough business.
Otto should interview these people. For example, I asked Wayne if he knew anything about who made OMC mugs. "Oh yeah that was .... and the other guy was .... he sold all the Orchids of Hawaii." His offhand answer impressed me because the last time I heard the whole OMC thing was a big freakin mystery. Check your collection.... anyone happen to have some Hawaiian Inn mugs? Yeah, I thought so. Did I say these people have roots in this business? They go deep.
Lately some people from Tiki Central have visted. One from Chicago and another from Jacksonville. They tried to get Wayne to sell some of the hotel's Witco pieces. Fortunely, he didn't sell anything. Why? Because his collection should be kept together where any of us can visit and appreciate it! Hopefully, most of you can relate to that.
Actually, it kind of hacked me off when I heard about this, so I told Wayne about the book Sven is trying to get published and said he should hang onto everything he has as long as possible. His reaction was to call me aside at the end of the show and give me a Witco carving....
What I'm trying to say is these people live aloha and Marian and I try to as well. So we would be happy to go to the show with anyone who has the same and isn't going to embarass us by asking if they can buy the furniture or rewrite the frickin' show.
Hugs & Kisses,
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-02 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Riddle me this. What are some of the places that existed in the Cocoa Beach area back in the day? Just curious.

Islander Beef & Grog
301 N. Atlantic Ave.
Cocoa Beach, Fla.
784-1231

Ask Wayno. He told Otto about a place called the Beef & Reef that had Leeteg's, but it might be the same place as the above.

You doing anything next Saturday night? We were invited to a little happening over there. Send me an e-mail.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation