FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events F-Least coast Nov. 8th/Intro to Hawaiian Inn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
F-Least coast Nov. 8th/Intro to Hawaiian Inn
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-02 10:52 pm   Permalink

flounder- there was a place called "Samoa" in Cocoa Beach at one time- I have a matchbook I can scan in if you like. Thats about all I know of right now though.

There is this place that was in Jensen Beach called "Mary Langerford's Outrigger" that im trying to figure out if it still exists. My neighbor says it had an authentic old tiki restaraunt there- and a matchbook from the place is in the new Tiki Quest book.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 05:10 am   Permalink

Fatuhiva,
The place in Jensen Beach was Frances Langford's Outrigger Restaurant.
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43&forum=1
KG

[ This Message was edited by: kailuageoff on 2003-11-03 05:12 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 06:10 am   Permalink

Kailuageoff, It's Monday I missed your post. Hope you had a good time Saturday.

Your post earlier was well put, you seem to be a true man of tiki.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 07:19 am   Permalink

So...
how does the second weekend in Dec. sound for the Hawaiian Inn?

Sat. - 13th?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 07:22 am   Permalink

Fatuhiva - your place looks fantastic!
I definitely would like to swing by whenever our scheduled event is... errr... scheduled.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 08:35 am   Permalink

Flounder,
Not to worry... I'm talking about Saturday, Nov. 8. We'd like to meet you if you are going to be around.
Man of tiki? No, I just enjoy the tiki mana and am a little protective of my friends. I do think it would be great if we could all get together for a weekend. There is plenty to do in Daytona.

Pablus,
What's up with Mark and his Vodkanauts? Are they touring or could they possibly make it? Maybe Wayne would let them set up during the day by the tiki bar, or do a set after the hula show.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-03 08:38 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 09:11 am   Permalink

Oh man, that is a bummer to hear all that about the Frances Langford place. After I made that post last night i did some extensive net-searching and figure out the street address to the marina- I figured i could find it from there, but after seeing thatat one time it was called the "Key West" something or other, the red flag was flying and I was getting nervous it had been de-tikied. And so it has. What a bummer. My neighbor had been there quite some time ago, and said it looked like the places in the Book of Tiki, but once I saw it was no longer called "The Outrigger" I feared the worst.

Why in the world people buy these places and then scrap all this hard-to-come-by awesome decor is beyond me..

well, at least it saved me a 2 hour trip to Jensen Beach just to get bummed out at he end..

Frances would be pissed.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 09:25 am   Permalink

hey flounder- do you live in cocoa or cocoa beach? Do you do any surfing? I'm down in Melbourne Beach, not to far from CB, I hit 2nd Light and some of the other surf spots your way quite often.. maybe we can paddle out sometime.

I admire your painting skills by the way..

Pablus: Thanks alot-I'm getting ready to put the finishing touches on the tiki room, I'll post some pics of that when it gets finished up this month. You are definitely welcome to come by if you are in the area.. if driving from daytona to Ft. Laud, going along the A1A from say Cocoa Beach down to Vero Beach is a great scenic drive- quite a few tikis to be spotted, and overall very beachy- especially if the weather is nice.

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-11-03 09:28 ]

Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 09:47 am   Permalink

I've been to Frances Langford's then and now. The school I attended took a group of us over there for the weekend. We stayed at the villas and had dinner in the restaurant. Ms. Langford sang in the floorshow!!!! Being underage, I couldn't sample any of the cocktails but I was very impressed with the menu. My folks were not in to fine dining and the Outrigger was the most fantastic restaurant I had experienced (besides Trader Vics in Chicago) in my young, little, sheltered life.
3 years ago I sought out the site when driving home after spending a sensational week at the Fountainbleau in Miami.
All of the original structures still stand but the restaurant was renovated beyond recognition. The thick thatch roof treatment was replaced with yucky shingles and the interior looked like any bland riverside restaurant. However, there is a fine tiki in the lobby chained to the wall and a small area of F.L. memoribilia. I was deeply moved just being there again, knowing how it used to be.....

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 09:55 am   Permalink

I put this up awhile ago in case anyone missed it.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5347&forum=2&0
And here are some photos:

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-03 09:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-03 09:58 ]

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 09:55 am   Permalink

Kailuageoff, I should be around most likely. Where you guys going to be at, Mai Tiki? What time? Whats going on over there?

fatuhiva, I live in Cocoa, thats right the land of the rising rebel flag (what a mistake). My intentions when I moved to Florida fifteen years ago was to become a surfer, my long lived dream from childhood vacations to Florida from Ohio.
I even have a surfer on my Ohio graduation class ring, but to this day I have never been on a surf board. So much for dreams!

Thanks for admiring my painting skills, now make me happy and buy everything.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 4:36 pm   Permalink

Flounder, not only did you pick the wrong "cocoa" to live in, but you are missing all the real fun around here!

Without surfing I'd probably go nuts in Brevard County.

If you ever want to learn how to surf, I'm your man.. I have only been surfing about two years, but picked it up real quick.. I'm not bad if Isay so myself- I've surfed all the recent hurricanes including Isabel, so I guess I made some progress.

This is a great place to learn to surf- if you are interested, let me know..its starting to get a little colder, pretty soon it'll be springsuit time..

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:16 pm   Permalink

Fatuhiva, thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it, however maybe I never surfed by divine intervention. I think I need a Greg Brady tiki charm first.

Hey, if you ever want to learn how to shoot wild boar my neighbor's your man.

www.flounderart.com

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 6:02 pm   Permalink

Fatuhiva/Flounder,
We're going to Cocoa Beach on Saturday and may spend the night. Any ideas on cool places to stay over there? Something vintage and clean is my preference, something clean and luxurious is Marian's preference... It doesn't have to be on the beach, but that's a plus.

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 6:07 pm   Permalink

Sorry Geoff I live to close to need hotels.

I did notice a hotel they have been remodeling that looks polynesian. It has alot of cool woodwork with some wood carved pineapples.

If you turn south off of 520 it's right down the road on the left. I havn't been down that way in over a month so I'm not sure of the remodeling progress.

Probably worth a look.

www.flounderart.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation