FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orgeat syrup???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Orgeat syrup???
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-03 3:00 pm   Permalink

Does anybody know where I can get orgeat syrup? Online? None of the liquor stores in my area (coastal central Florida) carry it. Is almond syrup a good substitute? You know, like the kind of stuff some folks mix with coffee.

View Profile of Tiki Mon Send a personal message to Tiki Mon  Email Tiki Mon Goto the website of Tiki Mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 3:10 pm   Permalink

Almond syrup is a good substitute, but if you are looking online the place to go is:

http://www.tradervics.com

Make sure you grab some Rock Candy Syrup and Passion Fruit syrup while you're buying.

I prefer TV's Rock Candy syrup to other brands of simple syrup or homemade because they give it a slight vanilla flavor.

Also, I read somewhere that TV Passion Fruit syrup is the only one available made with actual passion fruit. Go figure.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-03 3:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks Muggler!

View Profile of Tiki Mon Send a personal message to Tiki Mon  Email Tiki Mon Goto the website of Tiki Mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:09 pm   Permalink

Tiki Mon-

Beleive me.. I have been down this frustrating little road myself. What the Muggler says is true, the only place, so far on-line is the Trader Vic website. I also checked the Torani website, but they don't sell on-line. Torani is the only brand of Orgeat that I have been able to find retail around here. And they say you can get anything, anytime in New York. Bah I say! Bah! Yeah I can find it here, but the store I go to which is a gourmet coffee place is so far the ONLY place I have been able to find it.

I also had a frustrating interlude the other day just trying to find simple Grenadine for cryin out loud! Some grocery stores have it and some don't. The one in my neighborhood doesn't have it (of course). Gotta make a special trip for that too.

What do we have to do to make a simple Mai Tai at home I ask?

I suggest you hunt around in some of the gourmet coffee places in your area. Call them first, or else you'll have an Orgeat breakdown. And don't try Starbucks...I don't think they're cool enough to carry it. In fact I'm pretty sure they don't have it.

cheers!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:23 pm   Permalink

I like Trader Vics...but...
I usually buy a case at a time of the Torani, which I prefer, from BevMo.

Heck. I just used my last bottle on Saturday's Scorpions.

Back to the web.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus on 2003-11-03 17:26 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-03 17:23, pablus wrote:
I like Trader Vics...but...
I usually buy a case at a time of the Torani, which I prefer, from BevMo.
[ This Message was edited by: pablus on 2003-11-03 17:26 ]

What's BevMo??

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:43 pm   Permalink

Beverages and More...shop on-line at BevMo.com
Aloha

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:44 pm   Permalink

Where's the orgy at?!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 5:50 pm   Permalink

There's plenty of retail places in SoCal for orgeat syrup.... must be a Hoiti Toiti thing! Smart-n-Final carries a huge selection of Torani syrups, Cost Plus usually has a good selection too.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 10:39 pm   Permalink

Nice tip onthe BevMo. Checked that out.

Now if we could only get some people here in NYC to sell the Trader Vic stuff in the stores. I've poked around a couple of liquor stores, but no dice. Looked in some grocery stores too.

You people out in California (or 'on the coast' as the show-biz people say) are so damn lucky with people sellin the T.V. stuff in the liquor stores and all. One day I'm gonna leave this town because of the lack of Trader Vic & tiki stuff, I swear, really.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2003-11-03 22:55 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 10:41 pm   Permalink

Yo, Tiki Mon! Do check the coffee shops in your area for either Torani or Monin brands. Both of those can be found from several dealers online. I would suggest asking the guy at your local liquor store to see about stocking Fees Brothers. If you promise you'll buy all of your Rum there he shouldn't have a problem ordering a case or two. If he won't do it you don't need to be buying Rum from him anyway.

Fees Brothers also makes a darn good Grenadine (using actual pomegranites to do so) and are, to my knowledge, the only folks producing Orange Bitters in the USA these days.

Good Luck!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 11:52 pm   Permalink

Ya could always just use Amaretto like I do, but it does add more alcohol!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 05:17 am   Permalink

Monin syrups only uses natural ingridients and can be bought online at the Monin Store. I personally use their Orgeat and Passionfruit syrups and I'm very pleased. Note that their syrups are highly concentrated so the drink recipes might need to be adjusted a little bit (for example I'm using 1/3 ounce Monin Orgeat instead of the original 1/2 ounce in a Bali Hai Mai Tai).

Speaking of the Bali Hai Mai Tai, I've also found that replacing the Triple Sec with Orange Curacao really makes it good IMO. The Bali Hai version is also very handy if you don't have any fresh lime at home.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-11-05 5:03 pm   Permalink

You can also always make your own almond syrup by simply adding almond extract to your homemade simple syrup! Save money!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-05 9:49 pm   Permalink

Save $$$..good advice. Besides, after six or seven Mai Tais whose gonna really notice?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation