FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Attn: Dallas Tikiphiles!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Attn: Dallas Tikiphiles!!
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 7:38 pm   Permalink

OK, it's time we got something happening in Dallas. I'm thinking like a monthly gathering at a suitable watering hole to discuss tiki, show off our vacation pics and maybe do some mug trading. I'll throw out a suggested date of Friday, November 21st for the inaugural gathering. The best location I've found so far is Coconuts on Greenville Ave. They don't have much in the way of tiki drinks but they have lots of tiki's behind the bar. If there's a more suitable place to go let's hear about it. In the meantime, I'm usually there Friday nights sometime between 7 and 9pm.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 07:37 am   Permalink

YEAH!!
I'll try my best to keep my calendar clear for that date!
Maybe we can move the meeting to my cabana come this spring.
BTW update on that: I paid for it and cleared some tree limbs from the area. I plan on trying to jack it out of it's position and swivel it so a friend with a 1 ton truck could haul it over to my back yard.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 5:56 pm   Permalink

Cool! It'll be great to meet the other Dallas area T/C'ers and keep a live thread in the Tiki Events section. I'll see you all on the 21st. I'll make the bold assumption that Aloha shirts are mandatory!?

View Profile of TikiMikey Send a personal message to TikiMikey  Email TikiMikey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-06 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:
I'll make the bold assumption that Aloha shirts are mandatory!?

Hell yeah! Unless it's cold outside and you don't have a long sleeve aloha shirt. I'll definitely be wearing my tattoo.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-10 07:38 am   Permalink

I don't think I can make it this month to the shindig. Got my in-laws coming in this saturday. My wife is the type thats wants to stay close to the phone incase somethign happens. Plus our truck is in the shop so coming by myself is out of the question, incase we need to meet them somewhere. But I'll try my best to persuade the wife to get out for a few hours. If not then next month, perhaps a Saturday afternoon.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-10 1:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I don't think I can make it this month to the shindig

My wife just informed me that she has to go to Seattle on business and probably won't be back by the 21st anyway so I'll have the kids. We'll have to shoot for sometime in December.

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-10 4:00 pm   Permalink

Oh, poopers on y'all! I was going to try and come up to Dallas for that! Guess I too will wait until there's a healthy-sized group going.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 8:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I was going to try and come up to Dallas for that!

Wow! All the way from Houston? That's a long way and I hope you won't be disappointed whenever we do have a meet. I know there's a lot more tiki freaks in the area...we just need to fish them out. I really hope we can get something happening soon...my wife says I need some new friends

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 07:28 am   Permalink

when we do meet.... besides the obvious hy-wayan shirts in the winter, should we have name tags?

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:
should we have name tags?

We could do that...I was going to email everyone my pic so they knew who to look for. It should be easy to spot the hawaiian shirts too.

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 2:51 pm   Permalink

i'm not hard to spot, 6ft tall, black hair down to my butt, and a half assed beard.
I've walked out of bars and had people ask where I "wrassled" at. I always tell them them "sportiturium" although it's been torn down do to a fire.

p.s. i wasn't wearing a hawaiian shirt when they asked that.

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John on 2003-11-12 14:52 ]

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 3:21 pm   Permalink

In my experience, I've found nametags to be totally unnecessary. Tiki bars usually refer to us as "Those Hawaiian Shirt People" and show you right to the table. We can pick each other out quickly, too: young or early middle aged person/couple walks into the bar, wearing a louder-than-god Hawaiian shirt, looking around eagerly, while eyeing the decor.

It's never taken me more than 10 seconds to hear, "Are you Formikahini?"

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 2:01 pm   Permalink

Friday December 6th?

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 2:37 pm   Permalink

Friday Dec. 6 was last year, brother.

Saturday is the 6th. Saturday (6th) noonish or so would be good for me, but I don't speak for the others.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 6:49 pm   Permalink

OOOPS...I mean't Friday the 5th. Nights work best for me. Saturday might be kinda tough but I can try to make arrangements. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation