[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotica Insanity
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Exotica Insanity
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 6:12 pm   Permalink

The Exotic Moods Of Les Baxter - look at this price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=2569073915

I mean, I know it's one of the greatest and most looked for exotica CD's on the planet, but DAMN. I know it's out of print, but DAMN. There's no way in hell I'd pay that much for this CD, but there are people that will which makes it impossible for me to enjoy the music.
So...
I'm downloading it off Kazaa...song by song. It'll take a while to grab everything but I'll get all of it. I have about 25% downloaded so far. Anyone know what the RIAA thinks about file sharing music that is no longer in print? Well, screw 'em. I want this CD and I ain't paying that many clams.

Oh, and once I have it all downloaded I'll send a copy to anyone that wants one.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 6:49 pm   Permalink

Give it to 'em Juno! Free or reasonably priced music for the people! I'll take a copy!

P.S. to other readers: I do support current available artists like APE (Crazy Al), Tiki Tones, I Bella Di Wakiki, Martin Denny (Baked Alaska), etc. by buying their music at full and reasonable price. But I do enjoy freebies like the Two Zombies Later and Hukilau 2003 CD featured right here on TC.

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 7:19 pm   Permalink

WOW! SIXTY BUCKS?!?!?! No friggin' way in HELL anyone should pay that!

I just picked up a copy at the local used CD store here in Vegas for $14. So don't give up hope, people! Keep scouring the used CD shops & you'll find 'em!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 7:48 pm   Permalink

Juno, I'd be interested in a copy, for research purposes only, of course. I'd even happily provide the data transfer media (CDs) if that would help. Of course, after my research, I'd happily destroy the copyrighted data as I would never want to offend the good folk of the RIAA, FBI, NSA, FEMA, BATF, KGB, Bilderburger Group, NFL, NCAA, Bavarian Illuminati etc etc etc. Thanks for your selfless work.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-04 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-04 18:12, Juno wrote:
There's no way in hell I'd pay that much for this CD, but there are people that will which makes it impossible for me to enjoy the music.
So...

So... do a Google search and find a retailer who still has copies, for $22.99 no less and pick it up cheap!

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1&Product_Id=3830250&jrsource=linkshare.datafeed.224789_CD

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 02:15 am   Permalink

WOW, this one was still available at our Virgin Store a few months ago...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 09:37 am   Permalink

Yikes, that is big bucks. I got this fine double CD directly from the BMG music club not too long ago. I think it was on their 10 CDs for the price of 1 promotion. It is a great CD but $60+ on ebay...come on now.

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 09:49 am   Permalink

I have it all on original vinyl but no way to record it to CD.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 10:31 am   Permalink

BK, check your PM.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 10:53 am   Permalink

Holy Moly! Amazon.com has them from used condition ($119.00!) to new condition ($279.00!). Crazy!

The list price was originally $29.98.

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-11-05 10:54 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 1:04 pm   Permalink

madness!

though the cover rings my bells...no can DO at the price it is going for...someone NOT web savvy this is going to be a learning experience...

last night i picked up some martin denny...a CD called "Baked Alaska" and another called martin denny '90...both have there ups and downs...baked alaska is pretty crazy with the live BG noise emitting from the US soldiers posted in Alaska in 62...typical americans...LOUD! concert recordings are hit and miss but with a small group of soloists it's always exciting...especially when someone is doing CAT/BIRD CALLS!

early MD...nice...how old do his earliest recordings date? anyone know?

BUELER?

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-05 3:10 pm   Permalink

Had no idea it was rare, I think Mr. Fishstick got it for me for a gift years ago! It is alwasy in heavy rotation at our place - definitely my favourite CD.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-06 08:18 am   Permalink

$66 bucks for the Les Baxter CD is not actually that bad. I have seen it on eBay over the last couple months going for close to $100 everytime. The price will not go down either unless the fine folks at Capitol decide to reissue it, which will never happen. Get them while you can!! These recordings are ALL from the original Masters and include lots of unreleased cuts that you will NEVER find anywhere!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-06 11:35 pm   Permalink

Has anyone ordered one from J&R recently and received it? I was at their retail store about a month ago, but no luck. I scoured most of the record stores I could find in Manhattan while my wife took care of business, but NO luck.

Not too many decent used CD stores here in the thriving metropolis of Savannah. Not much in the way of Tiki either, but I do my best.

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-07 01:50 am   Permalink

I got mine on ebay for $46. Worth every penny! I love that CD.
I recently bid on an assorted mystery lot of 125 CDs (not in cases) figuring even if I like only 10 I'll be okay but WOW did I make out like a bandit! Cleaning them all up and putting them into the case logic sleeves now.
So it all comes out in the wash.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation