Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Shag goes Pink
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Shag goes Pink
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-13 5:27 pm   Permalink

From the Associated Press (believe it or not):

(04-09-04) 23:47 PDT LOS ANGELES (AP) --

One cool cat has been redrawn by another.

Pop artist "SHAG" has remade "The Pink Panther" characters in a series of portraits, products and trinkets to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the animated feline and the renowned Inspector Clouseau comedies starring Peter Sellers.

SHAG, whose real name is Josh Agle, is known for his depiction of slinky, kitschy, lounge-lizard characters designed in the sharp, cutout style of early-1960s illustrated advertising.

His "Pink Panther" art also is featured in the new DVD boxed set of "The Pink Panther" movies released April 6. His art of Clouseau and the slinky Panther also turned up on key chains, golf balls and other merchandise.

"The first thing I did was watch all the movies with a sketch pad and sketch things that would fit into the theme of the packaging, sketch things that I liked from the movies, different looks, different women, and had to figure out how to get it all into the illustration," Agle said.

His favorite thing to draw was the Panther itself.

"He's got this aloof attitude. ... It was really fun trying to reinterpret him, not make him so crazy and different that people wouldn't recognize who he was but give him enough of a change, or enough of a SHAG restyling, that people would look at him and say, 'Hey, something's different here. Something's going on,"' he said.

The original cartoon was created in 1964 by animators Friz Freleng and David DePatie for a prologue to the live-action Blake Edwards film.

The result was a long tableau comprised of about six different scenes from the movies, featured on the fold-out DVD collection. "It's kind of jet-setty, and loungey and tiki-ish," he said, describing his own painting style.

What does he like about the 1960s hipster era? "It's mainly the look, the sound, the clothing and stuff. As far as actually living back then, it doesn't appeal to me as much as living now. But I loved the way stuff looked back then."

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 04:36 am   Permalink

It's well worth heading over to http://www.pinkpanther.com for lots of great Shag artwork, wallpaper, clips from Pink Panther's Penthouse Party CD, a decent interview with Shag as well as some bizarre images of Shag as a Tiki.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 2:01 pm   Permalink

Does anyone remember the "Inspector Clousseau" with Alan Arkin? Came after Shot in the Dark" I think. Sadly forgotten, (sniff)

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 3:19 pm   Permalink

Off the topic,
Does anyone know the style or name (obviously from the 60's) of the type of fireplace that Shag uses in his paintings(Like the one in the Pink Panther)?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-05 06:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-04 15:19, Unga Bunga wrote:
Off the topic,
Does anyone know the style or name (obviously from the 60's) of the type of fireplace that Shag uses in his paintings(Like the one in the Pink Panther)?

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=2239&forum=6

try this link.

We had one in our family room when I was a kid. My mom sold that house in 1992 and the new owners promptly ripped it out. Had I known they were going to do that, I'd have taken it out myself!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation