FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Who has a wet bar?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Who has a wet bar?
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-26 05:40 am   Permalink

I have a basement bar,which is fine, but I don't have alot of extra space. Running directly over the bar are hot and cold water
lines which could allow me to install a small
sink back there. So what so you think? Big advantage or leave well enough alone? ( And he calls himself mrtikibar?) In my case it would have to be small and fit into a corner.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-07-26 09:55 am   Permalink

Mr Tikibar,

Having the water lines available is one thing, but how close will you be to the sewer mains? You'll obviously will need to tie into them for drainage.

Other than that, a wet bar is a good thing!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-26 10:27 am   Permalink

Mr. Tikibar,
I just finished up a remodel of our house that took about 2 years. Directly behind our bar is the master bath. I could of easily tapped the drain line and shutoff valves for a bar sink, it's in the perfect place. When I was considering this job there was no flooring in either room and the house was covered in plaster dust. The perfect time to do it. I decided not to do it because of space and time constraints. I really wish I had gone ahead and done it. At the time I wondered what I would actually do with the sink, would I really need one. There are a million and one uses for a sink, far to many to list. My bar is very close to the kitchen so it's almost convienient to use the kitchen sink. Down in the basement you might not be close to any sink. Give it some thought. I told myself I could do it any time, but, now everything nice and new I dont want to start ripping things up again. just one man's opinion
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-26 10:28 am   Permalink

Right. The bar is adjacent to the laundry room, and, most importantly, I have a friend (who is good at these things) who says getting to the drain will be no problem. The space is really the critical thing.
Thanks for the response.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-26 10:35 am   Permalink

Mrtikibar, I highly reccomend a sink and drain. I want very badly to add a sink and small hot water heater to my bar, and will do it someday. It makes entertaining SO much easier to be able to dump and rinse glasses as needed, and to have a source of clean water for cleanups. My advice is to do it. Check out Rebuilders on Mississippi if you want to find a cheap used sink. I already have my sink - it's a wonderful chocolate brown number that was hideous in my kitchen but will be perfect for the bar. Now all I have to do is plumb...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 8:30 pm   Permalink

So I had a plumbing company come by today and I found out that if I want to add a wet bar to my (as of yet unmade) tiki bar, It will run me somewhere in the area of $1000. Mostly because they will have to jack-hammer out a patch of concrete and add another drain.

That's if I want to do everything to code. It could be much lower if I don't follow codes and just drain my wet bar, set tub, washing machine and high-efficiency furnace into one drain...

I thought this was gonna be simple, cause I schemed to put my bar near a drain that already exists for my washing machine...

...so my question to you folks who already have a wet bar (or want one):
Is the convenience of a wet bar worth $1000 to you? And why or why not?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-07 8:53 pm   Permalink

I wish I had a sink in my bar area, but don't really have the room. I am up against my master bath at one of the sinks, so guess I could get it done some time, but sounds expensive though if you keep to code. The other thought is a dry sink.

If I could add a sink during building I would go for it. A double sink would be super helpful with hot and cold water.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 05:12 am   Permalink

I can't answer the $1000 question. Whether it's worth that or not is completely up to you. It's worth as much as you're willing to pay for it. But, my dedicated bar room is under construction as we speak and, yes, a sink is going in. I figured it was bite the bullet and do it now or risk forever regretting not doing it. With my bar where it is right now, I have to constantly shuttle back and forth between the bar and the kitchen. And that's a pain. In my new room, all I will need to get from the kitchen is ice. Everything else will be self-contained in the room.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 06:37 am   Permalink

I am running mine into the existing laundry plumbing. Is that a problem? Or is this something local? The real answer is, it is often only an issue if you contract it. If you can do it with a friend who knows plumbing, no codes are required.

I would think of it this way, you will also have to buy a sink and counter tops and fauctes... And it can add to the value of your house. Is it an investment? My wet bar will be. I save the counters we pulled out of the main house and hope to re-use. Sinks are on Ebay for $20...

I would not do $1,000, but I know my fiance's Dad can help, along with others and we'll get it done for about $100.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 07:39 am   Permalink

Most of us understand that we will not be selling our houses with the Tiki bars intact, unfortunately the wider population has less of an appreciation for these finer architectural features. So if you can do a quick-and-dirty sink with plans to make it reverseable when you need to sell, there's no reason to mess around with the beer-swilling bureaucrats in city hall.

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 08:53 am   Permalink

I'm seriously considering buying this, and setting it up next to the window by my bar during parties or even impromptu drinking sessions. (I'll surround it with grass skirting or something)

http://www.balkowitsch.com/productinfo.php?pid=973

My Tiki Lounge is my living room, so it's not set up for a sink and I wouldn't want it to be all the time. This should solve my problem!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-04-08 08:54 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 09:20 am   Permalink

The main use of have a wet bar is to rinse the blender or shaker.

I always wanted one, but came to the conclusion I really didn't need it

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 09:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-08 09:20, Unga Bunga wrote:
The main use of have a wet bar is to rinse the blender or shaker.

I always wanted one, but came to the conclusion I really didn't need it

I rinse my shaker after each cocktail and I rinse out guests glasses when they change drinks served as well. I guess it really only comes into play when you have guests. But even if I am making one drink for us, I now mix in the kitchen and require A)ice from the freezer (fridge door crusher) B)juices from the fridge and C) the sink to rinse the shaker, along with booze and tools. So, unless you have A and B, C isn't gonna get you there. If you have B and C and you bring ice in a bucket or something, okay. Maybe. I guess to me, if you aren't really relocating the bar with all its accoutrement, I wouldn't do the sink.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-08 11:25 am   Permalink

The other thing to look into if you are stillunder construction is a real ice maker. You can get them through Best Buy, etc. and they run about $750. Not as essential as a sink but damn handly for ice hungry tropical cocktails.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 11:29 am   Permalink

You don't realize how handy a sink is until you have one. I deliberated putting one in the outdoor bar, and decided to go ahead and run flexible water supply line in the trench when I brought power from the house. Worth the effort for dumping and rinsing glasses and washing sticky hands. I only ran cold water, as the line is so long I'd empty the hot water tank before it ran hot. So far, cold alone has been just fine, but you can always install a point-of-use electric in-line heater. The waste water is drained into a drywell.

Keep in mind that, even though a do-it-yourself job can cut code corners (which I certainly did), if you sell the house and have a home inspection, it might be flagged.

As for the portable sinks, remember that, not only do you need a water supply, you have to dump the waste somewhere, which means lugging out some manner of gray water tank.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Zen 2008-04-08 11:30 ]

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation