FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Wersmo Derinc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-07 08:43 am   Permalink

Name:Purple Orchid
Type:bar
Street:221 Richmond Street
City:El Segundo
State:CA
Zip:90245
Phone:(310) 322-5829

Regarding the location of the Purple Orchid Exotic Tiki Lounge. When you are anywhere near LAX or the South Bay beach cities look for the plume of smoke coming from the Scattergood electrical generation plant. Follow the smoke as it almost always flows inland even when the wind is against it. When you see the Chevron oil refinery stay to the north and when you can smell the Hyperion water treatment plant go in that direction. Then ask anyone on the street "where is the Purple Orchid?" They will send you to a semi-secret location on Main Street in front of the police station. Use your social skills to attract their attention, ask one of the police officers "where is the Purple Orchid?" After making bail, walk to the corner of the street south of the door they tossed you out of, turn right, go to the next street, turn left and you can see the oil refinery again. Walk straight as best you can and we are on the right hand side of the street.

If this does not work call (310) 322-5829 and ask for directions. We have a limited bail budget so don't make the cops mad.

For those of you with a map we are at 221 Richmond Sreet, El Segundo, CA.

From the 405 take El Segundo Blvd. west, pass Sepulveda, pass Main Street, and turn right on Richmond Sreet.

From the 105 west, keep going until you see Main Street and turn left. Go to Grand Ave and turn right. Turn left on Richmond Street.

Some tourist maps call the city Mayberry By the Sea. I think it is a mistranslation of the Swedish phrase for "drink there because the bail is low relative to the quality of the Mai Tai."

[ This Message was edited by: Wersmo Derinc on 2003-11-07 08:48 ]

View Profile of Wersmo Derinc Send a personal message to Wersmo Derinc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 1:18 pm   Permalink

In my opinion, the Purple Orchid is the all-around best tiki bar in Southern California.

First and foremost, the bar abounds with tikis: glowing neon tikis, tall tikis, Soloman Island\PNG tikis on the ceilings, even tikis on the outside.

Drinks are served in tikis. Purple Orchid even has its own purple, Purple Orchid tiki mug.

The drinks that aren't served in tikis are served in volcano Scorpion Bowls, with firery lighted 151 erupting in the middle (even Trader Vic's dosen't have those!)

The decor is beautiful. The walls are covered with split bamboo (done by the owners). Hawaiiana abounds.

The $8.50 price of drinks are most reasonable, including the cost of martinis, of which they have numerous tiki inspired selections. In a world where the price of a martini approaches $10.00, the $8.50 price is very welcome.

The purple cloth of the 2 pool tables are very dramatic, just like Gotham City in SaMo.

Lastly, the owners are two of the nicest people you ever want to meet (and well traveled in the South Pacific too).

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 01:58 am   Permalink

...and I might ad that the the restrooms are wallpapered with pages from the Book of Tiki, a unique concept that continues the old tradition of special restroom treatments in theme bars.
Apparently the women complained that only the men's room had gotten the wallpaper and now the girls have their walls plastered too.

The men though still have the singular experience of standing to relieve themselves from the tropical concoctions and being able to read from the book while doing so.

Now that the book is even cheaper in paperback, the wallpaper concept should spread like wildfire!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 8:00 pm   Permalink

Once you have a Purple Orchid Mai Tai, you won't need another if you catch my drift! Yummy!!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-22 6:02 pm   Permalink

Was just there for the first time on Thursday. I must concur, this is possibly the best tiki bar in all of LA. Correct me if I'm wromg, but isn't this one of only two tiki bars in California that have signature mugs? All tiki bars should have tiki mugs, if they can.

On a side note, my dad actually found out about this bar before I did by--get this--WALKING in LA! When he took me to this place, we drove around for about a half hour before we finally found it. And I don't mean the bar, I mean El Segundo! I was beginning to doubt there ever was a Purple Orchid, or an El Segundo for that matter.

About their Mai Tais, they ARE very strong. I found that out when I tried to say "Post-Colonial Cinema Seminar." (Please don't ask why I was trying to say that. It's actually very hard to say sober)

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-24 12:01 pm   Permalink

Does the Purple Orchid sell their purple orchid tiki mug? If so how can I get two.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 1:04 pm   Permalink

Yes they do.

Just belly up to the tikibar and ask when you ask for your for mai tai in the purple Purple Orchid mug, ask to purchase the mug as well.

If you go on a Monday, you may be able to get a manicure, too.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 1:25 pm   Permalink

Trader Rick:

There are at least two other California tiki bars that offer their signature mugs:

Bali Hai - the Mr. Bali Hai mug (Shelter Island, San Diego) and

Trader Vics - the Menehune coconut mug (at least in Beverly Hills, LA).

Does Chucks or Kahuna Grill also offer their own mugs?

Happy Thanksgiving.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 1:26 pm   Permalink

Trader Rick:

There are at least two other California tiki bars that offer their signature mugs:

Happy Thanksgiving.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 1:29 pm   Permalink

Trader Rick:

Happy Thanksgiving.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 1:50 pm   Permalink

Trader Rick:

Happy Thanksgiving.

kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-08 7:50 pm   Permalink

kind of hard to belly up from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Maybe I should give them a call and find out.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-16 11:13 am   Permalink

No, Kahuna Grill does not offer any mugs. This is most likely due to the fact that they are not a bar, just a surfers' burger joint. Cool place, though, and much needed since our other tiki burger place closed 12 years ago.

As for Chuck's, I don't know why people consider it a tiki bar. I don't recall seeing a single tiki in the place. It is a nice restaurant, however. I don't recall any collectable mugs or glassware from Chuck's, but then I was only there once.

But back to the topic at hand, Purple Orchid has three mugs to choose from, all by Tiki Farm. One is their signature mug (tiki sticking out it's tongue). The other is a Moai, and the last is either a Marquesan or Cook Island style mug (I can't tell the difference, but I'm sure someone will clear this up for me) The last two appear to be the mugs Tiki Farm sells in their tiki mug four pack, only a little nicer and with Purple Orchid written on the back.

Anyway, I hope future editions of Tiki Road Trip are a little kinder to this place as I found it one of the better tiki bars in LA. The music was appropriate, featuring lounge, some exotica, the soundtrack to "Blue Hawaii," some reggae, along with what you would expect at any bar jukebox. There was even Jimmy Buffett's greatest hits, which I assume was in there as a joke. And the owners have really gone all out decorating this place.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-18 6:56 pm   Permalink

I also like the corrugated tin bar shade. Reminds me of being in a true remote South Pacific locale. (How many times did I hit submit?)

2QueerTikis

Posted: 2004-01-18 11:34 pm   Permalink

The Purple Orchid is our new favorite tiki bar in the Los Angeles area. It is just simply the most perfect Tiki experience we have yet to encounter. This fabulous El Segundo location, located very near, but not on the beach is owned by Rebecca and Dave who have obviously taken great care to create and re-create this tiki bar. It combines vintage tiki elements with fresh neo-tiki ideas. This is especially evident in their amazing and eclectic drink menu which offers updated classics such as the Mai Tai as well as new libations such as “ The Funky Monkey” (one of our favorites and a must try). Bartenders serve up beautiful drinks never containing less than a huge pineapple slice, several umbrellas, tiny monkeys and tasty cherries. And of course all served in gorgeous Tiki Farm mugs…the bar’s own “Purple Orchid” mug can be bought for a reasonable 8 dollars. While we are on the subject of dollars, the drinks are extremely well priced. (tiki martinis 6 dollars, tiki drinks 8 dollars) And for all you couples or you tiki folks who may need a slightly bigger kick, you can get them served up in a flaming volcano bowl. Ask for Diane, who relishes in giving the Tikiphile the perfect concoction and the largest amount of garnish with a smile.

Now that we’ve raved about the drinks (obviously the first concern when entering a new tiki establishment), we must rave about the amazing décor. Starting with the authentic Leroy Schmaltz tiki poles greeting you at the door, it only gets better. Rebecca and Dave went so far as to modify the ceilings in this old El Segundo watering hole to create a classic A-frame. You are also immediately greeted by the Purple Orchid mascot tiki which is a whole 2 year tiki adventure story in itself, as reported by Rebecca. Great care has been taken to create a classic tiki environment without the clutter sometimes associated with older Tiki bars. Bamboo and grass on every surface along with fabulous lighting and great detail (puffer fish, floaters, tiki shrines etc) transport you to a south seas location.

We also love The Purple Orchid for it’s fabulous “event nights” such as their Tiki Halloween night and their Tiki New Years Eve Celebration. The locals who frequent the bar unfortunately don’t seem to fully realize that they have just stepped into a Tiki Fantasy. The only thing negative to say about the Purple Orchid is that there are one too many beers being consumed and not enough fabulous “Funky Monkey’s”.

[ This Message was edited by: 2QueerTikis on 2004-01-19 17:05 ]

View Profile of 2QueerTikis Send a personal message to 2QueerTikis  Email 2QueerTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation