FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 11:07 pm   Permalink

could someone post some pics of this place????

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-08 07:58 am   Permalink

There are photos here at this very useful site...

http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=52

Cheers,
Rupe

[ARRGGH -- it appears my photos are down as of 2006; sorry!!]

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 2006-08-01 13:12 ]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-22 2:55 pm   Permalink

There are now approximately one dozen (12)tikis inside Purple Orchid, creating an extremely high tipsy factor, all the way around.

More light fixtures, too!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-04-10 10:14 pm   Permalink

Can somepne please tell me a clean, affordable hotel/motel near the Purple Orchid that's within staggering distance?

I am capable of staggering up to one mile. Then I start crawling. Then I sleep.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-04-12 10:23 am   Permalink

bump?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-10 22:14, martiki wrote:
Can somepne please tell me a clean, affordable hotel/motel near the Purple Orchid that's within staggering distance?

I am capable of staggering up to one mile. Then I start crawling. Then I sleep.

Past thread

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-04-12 1:06 pm   Permalink

D'Oh! Thanks Unga.

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-16 7:25 pm   Permalink

I think Soccer Tiki needs to take his favorite Wahine here. What do you think???

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 9:57 pm   Permalink

for you other picky drinkers out there, go to the P.O. when Kelly is working ,and ask for a "kellys special", it is fu%#ing great!.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-23 7:16 pm   Permalink

Woo Hooo! Soccer Tiki and I conquered The Purple Orchid. We can wait to go back. We are looking forward to see/buy their new tiki mug when it comes out. When you go there make sure you have them give you a mailing list slip.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 11:47 am   Permalink

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the PO this last february. Couldn't tell you what we drank, but we all passed our mugs around and tasted as many drinks as we could. The only drink I didn't like was the signature "Purple Orchid". The bar/hut was awesome, with a mirror behind it if I recall, giving the illusion of an entire hut standing there. The bathroom wallpaper was genius as well. The only negative thing was the XTREME!!! MOTOCROSS FREESTYLE happening on the big screen. Regardless, I bought a couple mugs and then proceeded to take my love to the airport for a sad farewell.

In conclusion, no trip to/from LAX should happen without rewarding yourself with the Purple Orchid experience.

-Joe

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Demon on 2005-06-27 11:47 ]

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 10:17 am   Permalink

Went back to PO one Sunday night with a friend a month or two ago. They have a new mug, this one a nice grren Tiki Farm Marquessan-looking guy with the PO logo stencilled on the back. But more importantly, there was a really great surf band playing for FREE! I don't know about you, but I think surf rock and tiki go together like rum and Coke. This bar definitely ranks high in my book.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-29 10:17 am   Permalink

I made it out to the Orchid a week ago, and was pleasantly suprised to find such a cool bar district in such an unlikely location. The place looked fantastic, I really got a kick out of the Book of Tiki bathroom walls, and the lava rock booze shelfs. The place was full of a rowdy sports-bar type crowd, mostly drinking beers, which made for a fun mix in the place. I'm just glad to see a good tiki bar making money and staying in business. I had a great MaiTai, and picked up the purple Purple Orchid mug and the newer Monkey mug. I'll be putting up pics of the mugs on my OogaMooga soon! Overall it was a great place to have a cocktail or two when you are near LAX.

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-31 9:42 pm   Permalink

Finally got my pics up of my two new Purple Orchid mugs. I love the monkey mug!

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 7:12 pm   Permalink

Here are some photos as of July 30, 2006...

Here's their splendid neon logo:

The swanky purple pool table with coordinating purple tapa cloth lamp overhead:

This was new since I was there a few years back -- this weird spray foam lava-rock looking shelf for liquor. The lighting in it flickers orange/red/yellow to give the impression of magma seeping through. It's a neat effect!

Some Bosko carvings I presume:

Here's one for the ladies... a shot from inside the men's room, which is wallpapered from pages of the Book Of Tiki:

I'll see if I can dig up my old ones. The Purple Orchid is extremely close to LAX, and we made some time to stop there on our way out of town. It's terrific, folks are very friendly and the drinks are pretty good too -- try the Funky Monkey!

Mahalo,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation