FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 7:17 pm   Permalink

Okay, here are some Purple Orchid photos from my December 2004 visit... these aren't as good a photo quality of my 2006 shots, simply 'cause my new camera is far superior in low-light situations and in pixel count. Huzzah!

A selection of lighting fixtures and a gander at the roofline:

Shot of the bar... and the bartender (whose name now escapes me) was very kind to this East Coaster, he was truly a gent:

Here's the exterior...

And the requisite glass floats:

Hope you enjoy 'em...

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 3:13 pm   Permalink

Arrived at the Purple Orchid just before midnight Saturday August 12th and toasted International Tiki day with LoLo Malako who carved some of these excellent Tikis and some fellow Tiki heads including the fun loving bartenders. Great place to end my Tiki trail that night.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-20 15:31 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 9:31 pm   Permalink

Nice photos, Rupe33 and Ojaitimo.

Has anyone noticed

(a)the new, undulating, extended bar
(b) the volcano themed background
(c) the sexy new bartendress tops
(d) live music almost every Saturday?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 12:11 am   Permalink

Looking forward to the Purple Orchid visit!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 7:08 pm   Permalink

Dave and Rebecca Owners of the Purple Orchid are the Best.

They have recnetly added alot of Music almost every Sat night.
plus they are open to having alot of Tiki, surf and rockabilly music,
which is really what I wanna see if I go out for music.

this past Wed. Surf band Outterwave was supposed to play the begginign of the weekly Wed nigth summer shows at the Baja Cantina in Marina Del Rey.
but it got canceled at the last minute, becauseof health Dept, safety reasons,
The Guitar player called Dave and told him the Situation.
Dave was actually planning on going to the baja Cantina show as it was some mutual friends B-days.
anyways Dave said yeah bring the band on over and the fans too.

anybody and everybody should pay a visit to the Purple Orchid in El Segundo.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keola
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-26 08:56 am   Permalink

My friends and I enjoyed the Purple Orchid last night and the drinks were very good! "Curious George" is one of their originals (a banana-coconut-rum drink) and quite tasty. We also got a couple of their signature mugs The mai tai was too strong for my taste, so we kept reordering the Chief Lapu-Lapu and Blue Hawaii. I'll be back.

View Profile of keola Send a personal message to keola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 11:24 pm   Permalink

I've only been to the Orchid once, some months back, on a cold and rainy night. And my impressions at that time were mixed in that: I LOVED the decor throughout (NO complaints there), BUT the clientele that night was WAY more biker than tiki. (No fault of the bar, of course -- the owners and staff can't help who chooses to wander in.) And the one drink I had -- the signature Purple Orchid -- tasted way too strongly of honey for my liking. So my experience was not optimum. However, reading all the comments posted here, I understand that I was probably there on an off night -- and, considering the cold & rainy weather, what else should I have expected? SO my plan is to reserve any final judgment and go back there another time or two and try more of the drinks, such as the Funky Monkey and/or Curious George, and maybe even a Volcano Bowl if I go with someone I'm able to share it with! And I'll vary the nights I go, as well, since crowds can change dramatically depending on what's up with the live entertainment, etc. Also, I hope very much to meet Dave and Rebecca as everyone clearly loves those guys! And more power TO 'em, I say! L.A. can't have enough good Tiki Bars as far as I'M concerned!

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2007-09-17 23:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2007-09-17 23:26 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 01:50 am   Permalink

Well, a couple weeks ago I DID get back to the Orchid and had a WAAAAYYY better experience than before. First of all, I got to meet Dave, who was behind the bar that night and made me a wonderful (AND complimentary -- thanks, Dave!) Funky Monkey which was delicious and justly popular! And, what can I say? I had a great time, Dave was a blast to talk with, and I'll definitely be goin' back for more. The only odd thing was that the lighting was a lot brighter than I remembered it the last time, and Tiki bars & dim lighting just go together, don't they? (But maybe that was 'cause they were getting close to closing time.) Anyway, I'm very pleased to NOW be able say that The Purple Orchid is Koolamundo!

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-13 10:24 pm   Permalink

......Went in & played pool w/my daughter,on one of the cool PURPLE! pool table's. The drinks we had were excellent! Got to meet Dave. Very nice guy. Slid him one of the Agents oF VooDoo, CDs. Hope he digs it. I would love to have the Agents play there.
In any case, way cool place!!!................Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 07:01 am   Permalink

The wife and I are there most every friday night getting the drink-on before dinner. Good drinks and good folks. Dave and Rebecca are super nice and really care about the place. A side note, go to main street and check out some of the local eateries, there is good food to be found.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomic49er

Posted: 2009-01-08 10:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: atomic49er 2009-01-13 23:48 ]

View Profile of atomic49er Send a personal message to atomic49er      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 3:14 pm   Permalink

Hey! The Why's are rockin!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 6:12 pm   Permalink

SYLTB ! Support Your Local Tiki Bar!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 7:45 pm   Permalink

Not knowing the neighborhood, and looking for a place to eat near Purple Orchid recently, we stumbled across Burgers Etc. just a few blocks away. Despite low expectations, I was surprised by just how fresh, tasty and well-prepared our food was. Parking is challenging because the tiny parking lot is on a substantial slope, so street parking is a better bet. They also have a drive through. The cuisine can mostly be described as diner food.

Burgers Etc.
130 Main St
El Segundo, CA 90245
(310) 322-2025

Any locals have suggestions?

- SV

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 11:20 pm   Permalink

Havana Sandwich Co. On main street walking distance from THE PURPLE ORCHID. www.havanasandwich.com

I did some of the decor YEARS ago.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation