FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-26 11:41 pm   Permalink

Inky and I had a surprise visit to the Purple Orchid and were glad to see both rebecca and dave working. Dave mad us two drinks- a ginger something and a something ginger. I don't recall the names. The were tqsting a since we had be doing enought drinkin during dinner at the Alpine Village inn, we used these drink as the perfect nightcap! The on Sunday, we hung out with Dave and Rebecca at the Swiss day fair in Swisspark. Dave, I hope you won the big fish and the jar of honey!

zazz!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-26 11:41 pm   Permalink

Inky and I had a surprise visit to the Purple Orchid and were glad to see both rebecca and dave working. Dave mad us two drinks- a ginger something and a something ginger. I don't recall the names. The were tqsting a since we had be doing enought drinkin during dinner at the Alpine Village inn, we used these drink as the perfect nightcap! The on Sunday, we hung out with Dave and Rebecca at the Swiss day fair in Swisspark. Dave, I hope you won the big fish and the jar of honey!

zazz!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithor

Posted: 2009-08-24 11:06 pm   Permalink

My wife and I were visiting a relative in Hermosa Beach Saturday night, and we three decided to try to find the Purple Orchid. Pretty easy, it's the only place in El Segundo open past 9 p.m., and on a Saturday night!

The place was packed, but we found a small table up against the wall while a great three man band called The Ghosts of Searchlight set up in a corner near the flat screen TV. Any band that starts off a set with "Having an Average Weekend" by Shadowy Men from a Shadowy Planet, also known as the Kids in the Hall theme song, is okay by me! Good mix of non-vocal surf rock/post rock music, great tight lead and bass and drums. We hope to see them somewhere else again soon.

Decor: Wonderful, beyond our expectations! Thatched walls and decor, blowfish and tiki like lamps hanging from the ceiling, nice long wooden bar. The place just felt like "home".

Drink report: My wife got a nice tall Mai Tai for only $8, I had a taste and it was nice and strong, no stinginess on the rum there, but not overpoweringly so. It was a good drink, too bad I was the designated driver!

Crowd: A good mix of young and older there, even a guy at the bar reading a book while the band played on, and pool players in back. Noisy, crowded, but friendly people ... all the elements of a great neighborhood bar.

We really like this place. We'll be back any time we're in the neighborhood, and wish we either lived closer or it was closer to home.

View Profile of tikithor Send a personal message to tikithor  Email tikithor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 8:41 pm   Permalink

You know, I think if you really want to feel the vibe of what a typical Tiki bar was like in the 1960's come to this place. Believe me, Purple Orchid is filled with Tiki goodness but unlike some of the other destination Tiki joints in So CA , it doesn't feel the need to wear TIKI on its shirt sleeve. This is a comfortable neighborhood bar that just happens to be Tiki.

Also the Tropicals might not be by-the-book Grog Log recipes but man that Scorpion was STIFF !! This is also a good Tiki bar to enjoy a cold beer without feeling self-conscious that you're not having a Tropical cocktail.

Purple Orchid can be easy to overlook on your So CA Tiki Road trip but it's definitely representative of the Tiki diversity that we enjoy in Los Angeles.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-02 20:51 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 09:17 am   Permalink

I've spent many a great Sat. nights in the last 5 years or so,
watching bands.
Too Bad you missed all those John, where were you?

But sadly Dave has really scaled back the live entertainment there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 12:55 am   Permalink

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shamefultiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-21 12:24 pm   Permalink

Purple orchid mug

View Profile of shamefultiki Send a personal message to shamefultiki  Email shamefultiki Goto the website of shamefultiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation