FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Sword or Cross?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sword or Cross?
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-10 5:31 pm   Permalink

About half the people I asked thought it was a cross he's holding, the other half thought it was a sword. What do ya'll think?

Tiki Mon

View Profile of Tiki Mon Send a personal message to Tiki Mon  Email Tiki Mon Goto the website of Tiki Mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bike Shack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-10 7:00 pm   Permalink

Sword
English ?

View Profile of Bike Shack Send a personal message to Bike Shack  Email Bike Shack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-10 7:01 pm   Permalink

It's a lower case "t"
Make 3 more,
gimme an i
gimme a k
gimmie an i

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-10 8:46 pm   Permalink

i say kross .regardless what i think, the T-I-K-I idea is da bomb.

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 06:42 am   Permalink

there's no pointy end: cross.

it looks very crusader-esque to me. if you made a mug from the design you could call it the 'holy grail'.

btw, what do you (tikimon) think it is? & why did you carve it?

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki410
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 10:46 am   Permalink

Cross

View Profile of tiki410 Send a personal message to tiki410  Email tiki410     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 10:58 am   Permalink

cross

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 11:43 am   Permalink

Cross... I also think johnnie's T-I-K-I idea is killer! You wouldn't make any money off them, except advertising, but you could put them out front of your shop. Or for those that purchase from you, you could have a few tikis like this spell out the name of their home tiki bar or commercial tiki bar... oops, there I go giving away business ideas...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-11-11 11:47 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 12:35 pm   Permalink

I would say "cross" too, because a sword would most likely be held by the hilt and not the blade.
I also think the T-I-K-I idea is great.(Except for the Village People-esque dance moves that spring to mind...)

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 12:48 pm   Permalink

come to think of it, the tiki appears to have his head bowed as if he's praying.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-11 4:06 pm   Permalink

Good one Johnnie...hadn't thought of that one. Tiki Chris, I was hoping to get (16+) replies so the topic would get that cute flame animation before I tell the story behind this tiki. But, you are on the right track with your last post. I think I'll wait just a little longer before I spill the beans.

View Profile of Tiki Mon Send a personal message to Tiki Mon  Email Tiki Mon Goto the website of Tiki Mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 6:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-11 16:06, Tiki Mon wrote:
But, you are on the right track with your last post.

that's what i was afraid of.

pentaclegoddess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-11 10:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Tiki Mon

I also think it looks like a cross. But, I think if thats not what you are going for. A little more detail will get you to your sword.Over all its a kick A~~ Tiki.

View Profile of pentaclegoddess Send a personal message to pentaclegoddess  Email pentaclegoddess Goto the website of pentaclegoddess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-12 08:23 am   Permalink

This tiki was carved soon after reading an article about the history of surfing in Hawaii. Shortly after being "discovered" and re-colonized, missionaries set up shop in Hawaii. It seems that sometimes when the Catholic missionaries held mass many of the islanders would be absent; only to be discovered surfing. When the surf was up the priests would lose out. So, they deemed surfing as a sensual act and declared any participants as sinners destined for Hell. Well, the islanders weren't about to give up surfing, but at the same time, feared the wrath of the church. So, they made these big kites and if they flew a certain way, islanders knew the break was good and would gladly trade their souls for some gnarly waves.

Anyway, I intended the tiki to be holding a cross. My goal was to create a juxtaposition by using two powerful icons of paganism and Christianity. I didn't carve him to provoke emotion, but rather inspire thought. Its funny, but by quietly holding a cross this tiki is more disturbing (terrifying) than if he was growling and wielding a wicked club with blood dripping from it. Interesting, huh?

Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-12 08:23, Tiki Mon wrote:
So, they deemed surfing as a sensual act and declared any participants as sinners destined for Hell.

are you sure about those missionaries being catholic? sounds more like something the new england protestant missionaries (who were much more prominent & active in hawaii) would have done.

all that "sensual act" as sin stuff is much more calvanist than roman catholic.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation