[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Jasmine Tree Rumors
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Jasmine Tree Rumors
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 4:27 pm   Permalink

There have been rumors flying around town (that would be Portland) that our 2nd best commercial tiki bar, Jasmine Tree, will be closing. I believe the rumor is based on an article in the paper that suggested that the light rail line would be expanding and that JT would have to be torn down. I just spoke with the manager of JT who told me that they have been told that the light rail has been re-routed and that there are no plans as far as he knows to close the place. Does anybody know otherwise?

If they DO close, I want to get the inside scoop on any auction or sale they have, because they have a bunch of Oceanic Arts and other stuff that I've coveted since I moved here. But all in all, I'd rather they didn't close. Unless they're going to sell the stuff for really cheap.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 4:33 pm   Permalink

I heard they were going to tunnel the train under the Jasmine Tree which would give the establishment a unique volcanic rumble effect every half hour, but the plans were derailed.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 7:18 pm   Permalink

Don't sit in front of your monitor waiting for the hundreds and tens of Portland based TC members to feed you info...Get your maxton down there and start asking questions. If it does close there's no one more deserving of gettin' his hands on their decor than you...Because that way we could all visit it.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 11:48 am   Permalink

Mark, git me those Tahitian Cannibal Carvings please, OK?
Tizz tizz, what cannibalistic cravings I detect in myself, smelling a carcass before it's dead, shame on me, the Tiki addict for succumbing to Tiki Greed, 'tis not right.
The Jade Tree will live!

Following are some of the ten commandments of Tiki that just came to me:

Thou shall not covet your Neighbour's Tiki!

Thou shall not swipe a Tiki from a living site!

Thou shall not paint a Tiki in garish colors!

Thou shall not mix Tiki with Reggae and Jimmy Buffet!

Thou shall not use the name of Tiki in vain!
(On e-bay or in any other commercial scams)

Thou shall not kill a Tiki! (or was that WITH a Tiki..?)

...any more? These could easily become the 20 something commandments of Tiki....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-11-12 12:33 pm   Permalink

Thou Shalt not claim a tiki is carved by Leroy if it isn't.

Thou Shalt not claim a tiki if vintage if it isn't.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-12 1:06 pm   Permalink

Thou shall not use the words kitchy, tacky, retro, whimsical, fun, or funky when describing or referring to Tiki establishments.

(Except one may use the word tacky when referring to a certain new bar in Minnesota)

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 1:12 pm   Permalink

Thou shalt not throw away your broken tiki mugs.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 1:47 pm   Permalink

Mark,
Can broken Tiki Mugs be used in creating a Tiki mosaic? You bet. Check out this thread. A new Portland member even.http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6233&forum=1&4http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6233&forum=1&4

Broken Tiki Ceramics

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-11-12 13:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-11-12 13:49 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 3:09 pm   Permalink

Actually, TikiAngi is one of my recruits! She helped me out at the haunted house AND she's a well-respected member of a certain society whose work I admire (I will allow her to name the society of which I speak, should she choose to). She ahd asked about broken mugs for her project and I turned her on to TC. I'm hoping her bar will be part of an upcoming crawl, but we shall see...

seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 4:05 pm   Permalink

The last time I was in the Jasmine Tree was during last years crawl. I was there during the "specified" times. There was a gawdawful experimental electronic noise band playing. I ate a No.1 combo, no one showed up, so I moved on to the Alilbi. The food was suprisingly edible. I certainly hope it's not closing. We can't afford to lose anymore Tikibars. Keep on this Maxton. You've got me worried. When's the next crawl?

TikisbySeamus.com

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 4:45 pm   Permalink

MrTikiBar and I are planning to meet sometime this weekend for preliminary discussions of the NW Tiki Crawl II. My guess is that it will happen in May again, but it's all TBD. We have some cool stuff planned, so keep your eyes open for the new thread!

Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 10:25 am   Permalink

Is this 10 commandments of tiki stuff for real? I can understand the ethics of the commandments that involve stealing, coveting and painting tikis and using the name of tiki in vain, but no reggae?!?! Well, I am a sinner, and I shall continue my sinful ways. I possess no Buffet (a touchy subject, I know), but I have more reggae in my music collection than any other genre, even (gasp) exotica. Reggae is a humongous genre that encompasses ska, rock steady, dub, roots, dancehall, and more. Yes, there is some schmaltz in this genre, (I do have some problems with "Ja-waiian" reggae) but reggae figures such as Lee Perry, Jackie Mittoo, Augustus Pablo, King Tubby, the Studio One and Channel One house bands, and even Bob Marley and the Wailers cannot be denied. Viva Jamaica! If listening to reggae, and loving it, in my tiki infested home is a sin, then I must accept any ostracizing from this community, cuz I ain't giving it up:).

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-11-13 10:41 am   Permalink

I will have to say, The English Beat were one of my most favorite bands a while ago.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 12:00 pm   Permalink

I saw them 3 times at the Coach House. Great memories. Is the Coach House still there?
Quote:

On 2003-11-13 10:41, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I will have to say, The English Beat were one of my most favorite bands a while ago.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 10:25, Selector Lopaka wrote:
Is this 10 commandments of tiki stuff for real? I can understand the ethics of the commandments that involve stealing, coveting and painting tikis and using the name of tiki in vain, but no reggae?!?! If listening to reggae, and loving it, in my tiki infested home is a sin, then I must accept any ostracizing from this community, cuz I ain't giving it up:).

One time I heard reggae in a tiki bar was in the Tiki Bar in Modesto. The volume on the jukebox was blasting and a bunch of drunken yahoos were singing/shouting to the music. UGH!!!! Not pleasant at all! The last time I heard reggae at a Tiki Bar was at the Kon-Tiki in Tucson, AZ. For some reason it worked for me there and I actually found it quite pleasant. Maybe it was because I was in such a glorious mood being in Tucson( I had a BLAST there)-or maybe it was because the music could have been worse! (there were MANY cars blasting Rap music as they were going to/or leaving the Kon-Tiki.
Reggae is not a traditional or 20th century style of music that is considered Polynesian-so in that respect it is not considered by many to be appropriate Tiki music. But, in your own home, in your own bar (as long as you aren't being a bad host and alienating your guests), why not play what you want!!! I will take reggae over rap/techo in a tiki bar any day!

If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-16 17:26 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation